Geocaching.com solution checker on Android App

The official info says "Note: The Geocaching.com solution checker is not available on the Geocaching® app."

Very true, if you use that checker, nothing at all about coordinate checking shows up in description in the app.

One can back up one screen, and choose "open cache in browser", and find and use the checker that way.

This is not very user friendly. 

I propose that the official geocaching app(s) should automatically show a similar link on the cache description page.

(Ideally the entire checker should be visible and usable in the app description, but one battle at a time.)

As it stands, the official app user will not know about the checker, and cannot see it, or how to find it, unless the CO adds text and a link. 

If the CO adds this text and link, it becomes redundant clutter when the cache is viewed with a web browser (or the  third party app.)

Hope this makes sense to the powers that be...

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, TorqueMaster said:

The official info says "Note: The Geocaching.com solution checker is not available on the Geocaching® app."

Very true, if you use that checker, nothing at all about coordinate checking shows up in description in the app.

One can back up one screen, and choose "open cache in browser", and find and use the checker that way.

This is not very user friendly. 

I propose that the official geocaching app(s) should automatically show a similar link on the cache description page.

(Ideally the entire checker should be visible and usable in the app description, but one battle at a time.)

As it stands, the official app user will not know about the checker, and cannot see it, or how to find it, unless the CO adds text and a link. 

If the CO adds this text and link, it becomes redundant clutter when the cache is viewed with a web browser (or the  third party app.)

Hope this makes sense to the powers that be...

I was surprised to learn that the official geocaching app does not support the official geocaching checker.  

You made some good points about how one is viewing the cache, and therefore a checker. 

I do not disagree with anything you've said.

I suppose one workaround is to use the hint box:

puzzle: use checker in browser.

Until Groundspeak decides to incorporate the checker into the app, it would be nice to let people know there is a checker that can only be viewed from the browser.  

If I remember correctly, I learned about this when someone asked me to confirm coordinates after they solved a puzzle. I thought to myself, "why didn't they just use the checker?" Ohhh, they don't see the checker!

27 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I was surprised to learn that the official geocaching app does not support the official geocaching checker.  

You made some good points about how one is viewing the cache, and therefore a checker. 

I do not disagree with anything you've said.

I suppose one workaround is to use the hint box:

puzzle: use checker in browser.

Until Groundspeak decides to incorporate the checker into the app, it would be nice to let people know there is a checker that can only be viewed from the browser.  

If I remember correctly, I learned about this when someone asked me to confirm coordinates after they solved a puzzle. I thought to myself, "why didn't they just use the checker?" Ohhh, they don't see the checker!

Yes a bracketed (always unencrypted) hint as you say could be done, but since I want to add the convenience of a link _right there_  for the less tech savvy, I added the redundant text as well as the link in the body of the description instead.

Yes!  Part of my point is I am new to cache ownership and I assumed by using the official checker, I wouldn't have to worry about it not integrating well.  I too had a cacher ask where is the checker?   Only after publishing could I see how it looked on the app, and (foolishly) I just assumed that the app view was consistent with the web view.  I'd like to see this modification so future new CO's can avoid this issue, and the inconvenience we newbies cause to the cachers. 

2 hours ago, peter-tvm said:

Can it be that the "Geocaching.com solution checker" attribute that automatical is set is seen as sufficient for the app users to now that they have to switch to the web page to use the checker?

That's a really good point. The attribute will tell them that it's available, but it won't tell them that they have to switch to the browser to use it. 

12 hours ago, peter-tvm said:

Can it be that the "Geocaching.com solution checker" attribute that automatical is set is seen as sufficient for the app users to now that they have to switch to the web page to use the checker?

Interesting point.  Yes, it is one more breadcrumb of information that could help, however...

I just opened a cache in the official app that has uses official solution checker.  In the attributes section, the puzzle piece does not show up.  That attribute is visible on the web browser description view.

Just my opinion, but I believe the average geocacher doesn't even realize that attribute exists, and if they see it, they'd think it means this is a "puzzle" cache.  If they are on a pc web page, they can hover and see what it means, but then, it doesn't matter because they can see the checker.  The official app is very good at explaining the attribute meanings, too, but this one isn't there. 

I'd further ask -- does the typical geocacher know the experience will be different/better on a pc web browser or smartphone browser?  Seasoned puzzle cachers know all the angles, but I'm not so sure about John Q Cacher, who isn't a computer nerd like me (us?)

1 hour ago, TorqueMaster said:

I just opened a cache in the official app that has uses official solution checker.  In the attributes section, the puzzle piece does not show up.  That attribute is visible on the web browser description view.

Well son of a gun. You're right. The attribute does not even show up on the app to give them a clue that it's available on the browser. 

1 hour ago, TorqueMaster said:

Seasoned puzzle cachers know all the angles,

I didn't learn until quite recently that the official checker doesn't show up on the app. I often don't use the checker anyways cuz I think it's so much more fun to not know if I'm right when I go look for a cache, especially for a first to find. Solve, RUN! 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Surprised 1

Hm, that the solution checker attribute is excluded from the app sure is strange. All the other new attributes, like challenge and part of power trail, is shown.

In the not-to-be-mentioned app I use there is an link saying that an checker is available via browser. That would certainly be an good link to include geocaching app to. 

• Helpful 1
On 5/1/2021 at 6:47 PM, SpiritGuide said:

The HQ solution checker is built into Geooh GO using the API and doesn't require a web browser.

Actually the HQ solution checker is *not* built into Geooh Go.  Geooh Go exposes the HQ solution checker because it launches the website page in an application frame.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, bdp said:

Actually the HQ solution checker is *not* built into Geooh Go.  Geooh Go exposes the HQ solution checker because it launches the website page in an application frame.

No it doesn't... Geooh uses the API to send answers from an Android screen directly to the server... there is no website or webview involved at all. The HQ checker on the website is dynamically built via javascript which makes it impossible to display in a webview outside of a web browser like Chrome. Only API partner apps can integrate the HQ checker using custom Android/iOS screens that are used to enter coordinates and then send them to the API server for validation... no website page is used!

Look at the screenshot and show me the equivalent web page that indicates it's been embedded in an app frame.

Screenshot_20210503-203830.jpg

• Helpful 2

I won't make any claims on /HOW/ they are integrating the official checker, but that image shows clearly they are.

Would it be too hopeful to assume that since it is possible to do, they are still in testing stages of including it in the official app?  It would be silly to create an official checker with the intent of forever leaving it out of the official app...

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
19 hours ago, SpiritGuide said:

No it doesn't... Geooh uses the API to send answers from an Android screen directly to the server... there is no website or webview involved at all. The HQ checker on the website is dynamically built via javascript which makes it impossible to display in a webview outside of a web browser like Chrome. Only API partner apps can integrate the HQ checker using custom Android/iOS screens that are used to enter coordinates and then send them to the API server for validation... no website page is used!

Look at the screenshot and show me the equivalent web page that indicates it's been embedded in an app frame.

Screenshot_20210503-203830.jpg

Ahhhhh!!!! The only way that I could ever see it was from the webpage launched description -- it just took me 10 minutes to find where you got that box.  Thanks for pointing this out. My bad!  I stand corrected!  Yippee!!!!   Although the pop-up placement of it -- away from the wording of the puzzle means that I need to work on paper or 2 screens. Nonetheless -- it is there.

Edited by bdp
Added last sentence.