'Filter out finds'

Deepdiggingmole

In the search options (as per pic not the play/search feature)  - where you can click on filter out finds - this used to give a list of all unfound caches in order relative to distance from home - now when this is clicked it also includes my own caches - I therefore have to scroll through all my caches before I get to those not belonging to me.
I appreciate if you then go to filters you can get rid of those - but my point is you used to be able to click on this and see unfound caches, your own caches did not appear.

Why has this changed or is this a bug

cheers

Tim 

search.jpg

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Keystone said:

Since this feature / link appears on the "old" Dashboard page, I think it's unlikely that any fixes would be applied to restore the previous functionality.

But unless I am missing something - I can not see a similar function on the new dashboard 
This 'feature' was possibly the most used single click function when checking out local caches - I know you can do this using the search function but to get the same result you have to click several boxes before you get to what this feature produced
Why then has it been removed - or not added to the new dashboard (unless, that is, I am missing something) 

• Upvote 1
On 5/4/2021 at 1:13 PM, Keystone said:

I suggest customizing the home page search tool for just the way you like it, and then bookmarking the URL for that search.

Yes, an easy workround - but only means having another bookmark to remember and access
I would have prefered going to the website I know and have enjoyed for the last 18 years and click on links that did the job I expected and not have to create a load of other pages and bookmark them because someone somewhere has decided that one of the most used features on their website is now redundant 
Why is it not possible to include that link in the menu on the left handside 
Currently you have two links on the LHS which take you to the same page !!! The Science of Discovery and Leaderboard 
I wonder if I speak for many by saying I hardly look at either of those pages and yet they are two of the first things that are on the list of links and yet the more favoured and used link from the old dashboard is missing :-( 

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Deepdiggingmole said:

Yes, an easy workround - but only means having another bookmark to remember and access
I would have prefered going to the website I know and have enjoyed for the last 18 years and click on links that did the job I expected and not have to create a load of other pages and bookmark them because someone somewhere has decided that one of the most used features on their website is now redundant 
Why is it not possible to include that link in the menu on the left handside 
Currently you have two links on the LHS which take you to the same page !!! The Science of Discovery and Leaderboard 
I wonder if I speak for many by saying I hardly look at either of those pages and yet they are two of the first things that are on the list of links and yet the more favoured and used link from the old dashboard is missing :-( 

I suspect everyone has their own "most used feature on the website" and they're all different. For me, the equivalent search (caches not found or owned within 16km of home) returns mostly just D5 puzzles I can't solve and T4.5 caches I can't reach so the "filter out finds" search is pretty useless, and since almost all my caching now requires considerable travel from home, my "most used feature" by far is the old Browse map since I can quickly pan around areas of interest and see at a glance what's there.

On 5/4/2021 at 1:13 PM, Keystone said:

That's right - Geocaching HQ chose not to include this search link on the new Dashboard.

I suggest customizing the home page search tool for just the way you like it, and then bookmarking the URL for that search.

I had a set of urls for shortcuts to various searches etc and I wrote a Tampermonkey script to change the main menu links to something useful.
Unfortunately, the recent change to the way the menu works has completely screwed-up my script! :mad:
I don't know what was to be gained changing the menu so it is all written dynamically :huh:

On 5/4/2021 at 12:54 PM, Deepdiggingmole said:

This 'feature' was possibly the most used single click function when checking out local caches

On 5/6/2021 at 12:39 AM, barefootjeff said:

I suspect everyone has their own "most used feature on the website" and they're all different

I too have few caches within the ten mile default area - that said, with new cachers joining we are getting new caches within that area more now than we did before which is nice 
However - 6 million cachers all with their own different most used feature ;-) thats a heck of a lot of different features this site has !!!
I was not taking about myself specifically when I said this as i know many others who do use this regularly and though I do use this feature a lot, I should say more correctly 'did use' since now I get this annoying issue of having to change the filters to exclude all my caches from the list

On 5/6/2021 at 12:39 AM, barefootjeff said:

returns mostly just D5 puzzles I can't solve and T4.5 caches I can't reach

As far as caches you don't or won't ever seek out - surely if you are never going to solve or reach them then stick them on the ignore list and they will not appear on this 'nearest unfound' list anyway 

On 5/6/2021 at 3:18 PM, Mineral2 said:

You can use GCLH II to customize links. It can also be set to hide your owned and found caches (separately) on the map by default.

Another external link - my whole point was that this function was already on the page that I am accessing - I shouldn't have to use an external site to search for something that is/was already searchable with one click on the site I am viewing 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

That's right - Geocaching HQ chose not to include this search link on the new Dashboard

Unfortunately, the HQ decides without first asking the paying premium members. Very sad.

User centric design looks different. And this is not the first time that decisions are made without the opinion of premium members.
In my opinion, the list of errors and bugs is getting longer and longer. 
for example:
https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/362372-wrong-found-on-date-in-list-of-a-friend/

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/363606-bug-remove-trackable-from-wachlist-does-not-check/

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/362910-number-of-watchers-disappeared-more-watchlist-bugs/

• Upvote 1