Browse map: Clicking on a Pocket Query yield only a "spinning" icon, but no result

baer2006

I can confirm this.

In addition, the way to the browse map via the pocket query list no longer works. In the example I have a pocket query with only Scottish caches. On the browse map, however, the area around the home coordinates in Germany near Bensheim is displayed.

1546824701_GIF27_04.202122-42-39.thumb.gif.cf5ec0e247297c470330215ca9734dd5.gif

[Edit] Win 10, FF 88.0 (64-Bit)

Edited by 2Abendsegler
  • Helpful 1
16 minutes ago, R.Guszty said:

The solution: Switch to "Search geocaches" view, and you can use My Lists button instead of Pocket Query. It's a nice feature, because you don't need create Pocket Query from your list.

That only works if the pocket query is linked to a list. Many of my PQs are set-up with specific requirements, e.g. unfound caches in the UK, which are not based on a list. And in any case the browse map is vastly superior to the search map, as it has a better range of layers.

• Upvote 4
15 minutes ago, Optimist on the run said:

That only works if the pocket query is linked to a list. Many of my PQs are set-up with specific requirements, e.g. unfound caches in the UK, which are not based on a list. And in any case the browse map is vastly superior to the search map, as it has a better range of layers.

You have right. It's not the solution, just a workaround :huh:

5 minutes ago, R.Guszty said:

You have right. It's not the solution, just a workaround

It's not even a work-around. PQs are a totally different thing than list, with a few connections between them. Just as @Optimist on the run, I have many PQs set up for specific scenarios, and I used the PQ feature of the Browse Map a lot to have a glance at a specific set of caches.

In general, I rather not amused about all this. The Browse Map used to work, and now - without any obvious new features - bugs pop up out out the blue, and make the map ever more useless. GS could at least quickly revert any code changes, which caused the bugs. E.g., the "shifted display" (https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/361639-browse-map-search-and-pocket-queries-buttons-make-the-main-menu-dissapear/) bug has been reported 5 days ago.

• Upvote 1
On 4/28/2021 at 9:09 AM, R.Guszty said:

The solution: Switch to "Search geocaches" view, and you can use My Lists button instead of Pocket Query. It's a nice feature, because you don't need create Pocket Query from your list.

Nice try... But I'd prefer using PQs anyways ;-) I do have a FTF PQ showing me all the not yet found caches. That wouldn't work with lists. Plus, many other of my PQs exist for a reason. It's easy to set up a PQ for an area you haven't been yet, or where the results might change fairly quick. So, lists are cool, but they are by no means a working replacement for PQs.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
2 hours ago, monsterbox said:

Nice try... But I'd prefer using PQs anyways ;-) I do have a FTF PQ showing me all the not yet found caches. That wouldn't work with lists. Plus, many other of my PQs exist for a reason. It's easy to set up a PQ for an area you haven't been yet, or where the results might change fairly quick. So, lists are cool, but they are by no means a working replacement for PQs.

Agreed.  I have a PQ of unfound caches available for FTF's and others of caches published in the last 7 days in nearby states.  These PQ's provide dynamically produced lists and mapping which is up to date at any point I view them as opposed to lists which would require constant manual searching and adding/deleting to to keep them up to date and meaningful.  PQ's are (were?) a one click wonder on the browse map.

We are aware of the problem with mapping Pocket queries, and are hoping for a fix soon.

In the meantime, here is a workaround (please don't shoot the messenger, I'm just trying to be helpful!):

You can create a List from a Pocket query, by using the Geocaching® app:

1. Generate a Pocket query (clicking today’s day of the week) and wait for it to generate
  2. Open Geocaching® app
  3. Go to Lists in app. PQ will show in app for 7 days (indefinitely if you download as an offline List). The PQs show up as “Last Generated” rather than “Last Modified”.
  4. Select the PQ/List in the app and map it
  5. From the map, select “Add all to List” (on iOS, you can get to this from the “...” in the upper right). Enter a new name for your List of the PQ (so you can distinguish between the two).
  6. Now return to Lists on Geocaching.com and you will see your PQ as a List. You can map from there.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to get this issue resolved soon.

• Helpful 2
41 minutes ago, Frau Potter said:

We are aware of the problem with mapping Pocket queries, and are hoping for a fix soon.

In the meantime, here is a workaround (please don't shoot the messenger, I'm just trying to be helpful!):

You can create a List from a Pocket query, by using the Geocaching® app:

1. Generate a Pocket query (clicking today’s day of the week) and wait for it to generate
  2. Open Geocaching® app
  3. Go to Lists in app. PQ will show in app for 7 days (indefinitely if you download as an offline List). The PQs show up as “Last Generated” rather than “Last Modified”.
  4. Select the PQ/List in the app and map it
  5. From the map, select “Add all to List” (on iOS, you can get to this from the “...” in the upper right). Enter a new name for your List of the PQ (so you can distinguish between the two).
  6. Now return to Lists on Geocaching.com and you will see your PQ as a List. You can map from there.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to get this issue resolved soon.

Thanks for the workaround.  It is a bit tedious, but it does work. (I just tried it.)  Hope the problem is fixed soon.

• Helpful 1
On 4/30/2021 at 9:17 PM, Frau Potter said:

This issue with Pocket queries should now be resolved. 

Still one issue remaining on the browsw map: Every time I click "pocket queries", the whole page is moving up, creating a white bar on the bottom. Would be nice if that one could be fixed, too.

Thanks

• Funny 1
19 hours ago, monsterbox said:

Still one issue remaining on the browsw map: Every time I click "pocket queries", the whole page is moving up, creating a white bar on the bottom. Would be nice if that one could be fixed, too.

I see this behavior too - WIndows 10, Chrome browser.  If I click the Back button ont he browser, it resolves and the page looks normal.  If I click on a PQ to view on the map, it shifts; clicking Back resolves it again.  Annoying, but it works.

19 hours ago, monsterbox said:

Thanks

Yes we are aware of this additional annoyance. However, since it doesn't prevent a user from using the feature, it is lower on the list of bugs to fix.

• Helpful 1