Space to include reason when deleting a log

PhMJ

4 minutes ago, PhMJ said:

I hate deleting anyone’s log. Probably more than anything else in geocaching (well, except the hypocrisy of calling something “guidelines” but enforcing them as rules, but that’s another bone to pick for another time). But once in a blue moon, I’ve had to delete someone’s log because it’s pretty obvious they didn’t visit the location of an Earthcache or sign the log if it was a physical cache. And as a certified ISO 9001 standards auditor, it irks me to no end that there is no explanation space provided for a CO to justify their decision to delete a log. 

Having a required space to include a short explanation why a CO decided to delete a log helps both the CO explain their actions and facilitates a possible audit in case the user whose log was deleted decided to appeal. It would shorten the appeals process immensely, since anyone tasked with attending an appeal request can see the CO’s line of thinking stated; which in turn helps in the decision making process of the person processing the appeal. It also creates a paper trail for all log deletions, though I doubt there has ever been an independent audit of Groundspeak’s appeal processes given my checkered experience with appeals. It also lifts a burden from the CO if they can properly justify their actions. It’s a win-win for everyone, and all it costs is the time to come up with a few lines of code.

I can’t believe this hasn’t been suggested in the past. But if it hasn’t, then that audit of processes is a lot more overdue that I think.

I wholeheartedly agree. Just a couple days ago I  deleted someone's log twice. I didn't check the profile but I suspect they have never been to my country but they logged a find on my cache. They told me how rude I was for not telling them why I deleted their log. Then they reported me to Groundspeak.  Although in the end it wouldn't have helped the situation, it would have been nice to give a reason when I deleted the log. 

• Funny 1
13 hours ago, PhMJ said:

Having a required space to include a short explanation why a CO decided to delete a log helps both the CO explain their actions

When you delete a image from a log you do have that option. But for some reason you don't when deleting the log itself.
I've never understood why you can do so on a image but not the log itself.
I agree that it would be a good feature.

Especially because all the new geocachers that have started due to covid don't seem to notice it when you send them a message trough the message center.
You ask them to not mention a bonus code in the log or delete a image which shows the hiding location and they don't respond.
But when you delete something they get an email to which most of them respond. Being able to add the explanation to that seems like a good idea.

Edited by ardila.nl
more explanation
  • Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Then the owner may use the Message Center or send an email to the other geocacher. You don't need new tools...

Than why do I get a popup allowing me to enter something when I delete a image from a log?
wouldn't that fall under the same logic?

Screenshot_20210428_155621.png.c15e76a956b2e5f2ae70fb0fea026352.png

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
On 4/28/2021 at 9:05 AM, RuideAlmeida said:

Then the owner may use the Message Center or send an email to the other geocacher. You don't need new tools...

I’m a BSI certified ISO 9001 standards auditor. Nothing makes me cringe more than a company representative (official or not) coming up with an excuse not to do something that improves the customer experience and service delivery. A company rep should never use a sentence like “You don’t need new tools.” Ever. There simply isn’t any justification, logical or practical, for that statement.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 5
  • Love 4
On 4/27/2021 at 1:51 PM, PhMJ said:

I hate deleting anyone’s log. Probably more than anything else in geocaching (well, except the hypocrisy of calling something “guidelines” but enforcing them as rules, but that’s another bone to pick for another time).

But once in a blue moon, I’ve had to delete someone’s log because it’s pretty obvious they didn’t visit the location of an Earthcache or sign the log if it was a physical cache. 

-snip -

I can't believe this hasn't been suggested in the past.

This has been asked for a few times before.

Odds are that person knows full-well why they had their log deleted...   We usually sent an email.

When we had that "Intro" app, most never even had a means to contact them.  If they knew their log was deleted, none ever asked why...

When we used to delete a  photo, you had to include removing the log with it.

I'd guess that notification that you deleted someone's log was,  in effect,  notice.