Release Notes (Website and Geocaching® app: Souvenir sorting) - April 26, 2021

Release Notes (Website and Geocaching® app: Souvenir sorting) - April 26, 2021

With this release, souvenir sorting has arrived! 

On Geocaching.com:

• Sort souvenir names from A to Z and Z to A
  • Sort souvenirs by newest or oldest first. 
  • Your souvenir count is also displayed.

In the Geocaching® app (8.47.0 or higher):

• Sort souvenir names from A to Z
  • Sort souvenirs by newest first. 
  • Your sorting selection is sticky, so it's always in the order you prefer.

Check out the app or go to Your Souvenirs on Geocaching.com to try it out.

Sven (Bl4ckH4wkGER) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Love 7

Good start that can be improved, been so many years that we are requesting this feature.

The souvenir that I hide aren't showing in grey like before but only the text under it change.

Just now, cerberus1 said:

I guess I was kinda hoping that all my State souvenirs are together, all International, CITO, and others grouped together, and promotions separate...

Yeah me too I was hoping to have an option to be similar to project-gc grouping

• Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Good start that can be improved, been so many years that we are requesting this feature.

The souvenir that I hide aren't showing in grey like before but only the text under it change.

Yeah me too I was hoping to have an option to be similar to project-gc grouping

Me too. I'm surprised this wasn't included in the update. 

6 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I guess I was kinda hoping that all my State souvenirs are together, all International, CITO, and others grouped together, and promotions separate...

Baby steps. This is a great foundation for them to add other sorting/grouping options to.

• Upvote 4
36 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Google Play store is not showing this as the newest version.

Thanks for the call out. The roll out to the app stores is currently in progress. Everyone should see the new version within the next 4-5 days at the latest.

Disabled souvenirs are no longer greyed out.  This makes it mind-bendingly hard to identify unwanted badges (spade=spade) so you can hide them.

My solution was to find and open the *other* souvenir page, and put them side-by side (big or multiple monitors needed) until things looked right.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
De-snark
  • Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Disabled souvenirs are no longer greyed out.  This makes it mind-bendingly hard to identify unwanted badges (spade=spade) so you can hide them.

Definitely! The ability to sort takes away the ability to hide.

Edited by Max and 99
7 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Definitely! The ability to sort takes away the ability to hide.

Somehow, I still have the ability to hide.  My "displayed" version of the souvenirs page doesn't show all the cruft I've hidden.

But...  The displayed version is sorted alphabetically.  The "edit" version (for lack of a term) shows "Newest first", which I don't dare touch lest I lose the ability to hide simply by touching that.  (Confidence not inspired.)

This seems to be broken already. If I set the sorting as Newest First, they get sorted in reverse alphabetical order. Likewise, selecting Oldest First sorts them in forward alphabetical order. The alphabetical sort options, though, work as expected.

image.png.aadea1e9def66c93dfc5f0f0f4510382.png

I'm using Firefox 88.0 on Windows 10.

Edit to add: I closed the page in my browser then went back to it a few minutes later and it now works correctly. Weird.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Helpful 1

Thank you for the feedback so far.

Additional groupings for the different types of souvenirs are part of the consideration for a future expansions on the current release.

We will investigate the side-effects this release had on hiding souvenirs.

1 hour ago, capoaira said:

Nice to have this feature. But why is it not on the public Profil?

The point of this release is to give players more options to interact with their own souvenirs. The place for that is the dedicated souvenir overview page. The public profile just provides a more general overview. It's similar to how the cache owner dashboard is the dedicated space to interact with your hides vs the caches hidden section of your public profile that provides a general overview. 

13 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

This seems to be broken already. If I set the sorting as Newest First, they get sorted in reverse alphabetical order. Likewise, selecting Oldest First sorts them in forward alphabetical order. The alphabetical sort options, though, work as expected.

I'm using Firefox 88.0 on Windows 10.

Thanks for reporting. I am not able to reproduce your issues on any of the latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, or Edge.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
11 minutes ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

The point of this release is to give players more options to interact with their own souvenirs. The place for that is the dedicated souvenir overview page. The public profile just provides a more general overview. It's similar to how the cache owner dashboard is the dedicated space to interact with your hides vs the caches hidden section of your public profile that provides a general overview.

What??? Guess I will remove my previous statement it was a good update if you can't show it to others the way you like...

• Funny 3
9 hours ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

Ok, I understand that. But it would still be nice to sort the souvenirs of the other players.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
20 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Somehow, I still have the ability to hide.  My "displayed" version of the souvenirs page doesn't show all the cruft I've hidden.

But...  The displayed version is sorted alphabetically.  The "edit" version (for lack of a term) shows "Newest first", which I don't dare touch lest I lose the ability to hide simply by touching that.  (Confidence not inspired.)

I'm happy to confirm for you that you are free to hide and unhide souvenirs in any of the sort versions on the souvenir page and the changes will be reflected on your public profile accordingly. Doing so will not make you loose the functionality to hide souvenirs.

Now, let's focus on constructive feedback and neutral language and maybe you'd be willing to help me out here in return - that'd be great: 

• Can you confirm that you'd expect souvenirs you've hidden to not be full-color on the souvenirs page but greyed out instead?
  • Do you expect just the artwork preview to be greyed out or the whole tile (artwork, name, dates)?
52 minutes ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

Can you confirm that you'd expect souvenirs you've hidden to not be full-color on the "your souvenirs page" but greyed out instead?

Yes! 

Do you expect just the artwork preview to be greyed out or the whole tile (artwork, name, dates)?

The whole tile. 

Just my opinion.

Add: I'm trying to process what I will see when a souvenir is completely greyed out. Will there just be a gap when I sort, so I can see it there but just not as easily?

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1

Can you confirm that you'd expect souvenirs you've hidden to not be full-color on the souvenirs page but greyed out instead?

Correct, as before, that would be helpful.  That's an aid to parsing the current state, given you have to mentally invert the meaning of the "show" or "hide" text in the checkbox.  This mental processing takes a wee bit of time, multiply by ~90 to check each one, is this one correct?

That would help with visual processing.  (Switching to a checkbox that always says "Show" would help with text processing*.)

Do you expect just the artwork preview to be greyed out or the whole tile (artwork, name, dates)?

Just the preview should be enough, thanks.

* Now I know why I've had such a hard time with this.  Currently, for a souvenir that is shown, the text below says "Hide this" (opposite word), and, there's an image of a selected checkbox, always, beside it.  "[x] Hide this", that suggests "Hide" is selected.  Exactly opposite.  That's why I needed the visual cue to turn things rightside-up again.

Aha!
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

This is a change I had wanted for a lot of time, thank you! For future improvements, together with the possibility to divide the souvenirs into groups, I'd suggest to change the date fo souvenirs to the date of the log, not the date the log was sent.

5 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:

Anyone else see this? Link from email account contains query string and the page never loads. Remove the query string and the page loads.

https://www.geocaching.com/my/souvenirs.aspx/?newsletter=PM fails to load
Remove ?newsletter=PM

https://www.geocaching.com/my/souvenirs.aspx loads.

We are aware and working on a fix. The culprit is indeed the unhandled query added by the newsletter.

It appears that multiple souvenirs obtained on the same day are not in newest order when that sort is selected. Minor compared to no date order but still appears to not be 100% based on when it was achieved.

For an example, use the recent Wonders of the World promotion. In order to achieve the Ultimate Explorer souvenir, you must have achieved the Solar System souvenir. That means the order from newest to oldest would be Ultimate Explorer followed by Solar System, Natural Wonder, etc. 

The order for me when sorted by newest first is not in that expected order - see desktop screenshot below. I see the order is also slightly different in the iPhone app view when multiple souvenirs are achieved on the same day. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 2.15.41 PM.png

Edited by Team DEMP
42 minutes ago, nykkole said:

Both iOS and Android are now at 100% roll out so you should be able to update your app to the newest version to see souvenir sorting.

I logged out and back into the app, and now I have NO souvenirs. They are all gone. I believe this was previously reported in the Android App subforum, but until now I hadn't experienced it.

I checked the Play Store, and the newest version is still listed as 8.46.2, so I'll keep checking.

Edit: my souvenirs have returned and the newest version is now available on the Play Store!

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Team DEMP said:

It appears that multiple souvenirs obtained on the same day are not in newest order when that sort is selected. Minor compared to no date order but still appears to not be 100% based on when it was achieved.

For an example, use the recent Wonders of the World promotion. In order to achieve the Ultimate Explorer souvenir, you must have achieved the Solar System souvenir. That means the order from newest to oldest would be Ultimate Explorer followed by Solar System, Natural Wonder, etc. 

The order for me when sorted by newest first is not in that expected order - see desktop screenshot below. I see the order is also slightly different in the iPhone app view when multiple souvenirs are achieved on the same day. 

The sorting is currently based consistently on the timestamp the souvenir was awarded. When multiple souvenirs are awarded at the exact same time, like country+state souvenir or last regular promotion souvenir + meta souvenir, we currently don't have a way to distinguish between them and so what you see may occur.

TL;DR: This is a shortcoming of the system handling how & when souvenirs are awarded and not an issue of the current release. 

We will investigate how we may make this cleaner going forward, however that is not part of the warranty period of this release.

• Surprised 1
1 hour ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

The sorting is currently based consistently on the timestamp the souvenir was awarded. When multiple souvenirs are awarded at the exact same time, like country+state souvenir or last regular promotion souvenir + meta souvenir, we currently don't have a way to distinguish between them and so what you see may occur.

So for example:

* User posts a Find log; during posting, 3 souvenirs are awarded, each effectively having the same "timestamp". Understandable.

* If a user posts 3 logs, each awarding a different souvenir, they should therefore have different "timestamps" - assuming it's not restricted to only a "datestamp".

* Back to the first example, if a user posts a Find log on a different date, the souvenir "timestamp" should be date-marked the same date as the Find log. In that case, the time portion would likely match the log (midnight, or whatever they're currently stored as Pacific Time)

ie, the only time the souvenirs should have the exact same time are if they are all awarded with the posting of one log. And, the awarded date portions should match the date of the log that triggered them.

In the case of the identically-timed souvenirs, perhaps the secondary sort should be the souvenir ID, or a 'souvenir date', or whatever it might be that sorts those by a type of 'narrative' order? A lower-milestone souvenir should be considered "awarded earlier" than a higher milestone souvenir, assuming they are awarded with an identical timestamp.

I haven't tested the above thoroughly with the current system, so just pointing out the differences and the expected results.

On 4/26/2021 at 7:38 PM, Geocaching HQ said:

In the Geocaching® app (8.47.0 or higher):

• Sort souvenir names from A to Z
  • Sort souvenirs by newest first. 
  • Your sorting selection is sticky, so it's always in the order you prefer.

Are there plans to add these sorting options to more than just the souvenirs?
Because I would really love to see this on the lists in the app as well.

• Funny 1

After the latest update to the website, i see that there's a bug somewhere in the translations, that removes the find count, where it just say the languages word for finds, but dosn't display a number. See Norwegian in attatched image

bug.png

4 hours ago, cghove said:

After the latest update to the website, i see that there's a bug somewhere in the translations, that removes the find count, where it just say the languages word for finds, but dosn't display a number. See Norwegian in attached image

Thanks for reporting that. I'm confident that this is not related to this souvenir release but recent changes to the header/footer sections. I've passed it on the the respective engineers.

7 hours ago, ardila.nl said:

Are there plans to add these sorting options to more than just the souvenirs?
Because I would really love to see this on the lists in the app as well.

As my work is limited to the website, I cannot speak to what the mobile team is planning for the app. FWIW, lists on the web already offer filtering by name and date place. In the app you can currently sort lists by distance, name A-Z, and favorite points. I'd consider this pretty comprehensive.

3 minutes ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

In the app you can currently sort lists by distance, name A-Z, and favorite points. I'd consider this pretty comprehensive.

Within a list yes.

I'm talking about sorting the lists

Lists in the app are always sorted by last edit which annoys me a lot.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Small additional effect I have noticed online since the change: I can no longer log out from any other page than the main page. Tonight the caret dropdown (top right of page)from pages other than the main page contained Settings only.

Another bug - or am I going to have to dig into my system? 

Device name    B250M-DS3H
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB
Device ID    FBF9C1FB-D5F7-44DA-92AB-EB7C5905ED50
Product ID    00342-50399-19036-AAOEM
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    20H2
Installed on    ‎6/‎23/‎2020
OS build    19042.928
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Edited by Jimrky
5 hours ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

@Jimrky

Thanks for reporting. What you are experiencing is not a result of this souvenir related release but due to changes to the header of the website. The respective engineers are already aware and working on a fix.

Many thanks for the quick response - a load off of my mind!

On 4/28/2021 at 2:11 AM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:
  • Can you confirm that you'd expect souvenirs you've hidden to not be full-color on the souvenirs page but greyed out instead?
  • Do you expect just the artwork preview to be greyed out or the whole tile (artwork, name, dates)?

The hidden tiles are still in colour. What I would like is to be able to put the geographical (place) tiles first. Then I will pale out the rest and ignore them.

My ideal would be able to individually move the tiles, so I could group countries followed by their states, before the next country. Then all the rest (paled out) at the end.

Thank you for at least being able to do a little sorting now.

image.png.aa249bf4545bc3550d32d8760a5f2f9d.png

20 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

The hidden tiles are still in colour.

The use of the term "greyed out" earlier may have raised the wrong expectations. What you are seeing now, i.e. hidden souvenirs showing in a more pale color version, was the previous expected state which we restored after the bug report. We will not make further updates to the color coding at this point. They may be part of future considerations.

• Upvote 1

Love this change. I only ever go to the souvenir page to check if I have received one I expect to have received but don't quite remember the name of, and that's certainly a lot easier now. I just went there and saw I got the Blue Switch Day 2021 souvenir that I had forgotten about! I would never have noticed that otherwise. Thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1