Trackable in nearby caches

aircologne

Hallo

it seems that the neary Geocaches list has been changed

Is there no more function to see in which caches are placed Trackables direct on the list ??

In past it showed me, but now with the the new system I am not able to see..   in nearby caches from Homecoordinates as well as nearby caches from other caches

any idea how I can manage to see it   

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, aircologne said:

Hallo

Is there no more function to see in which caches are placed Trackables direct on the list ??

In past it showed me, but now with the the new system I am not able to see..   in nearby caches from Homecoordinates as well as nearby caches from other caches

any idea how I can manage to see it   

22 minutes ago, aircologne said:

You're correct, the space for trackables is now missing. 

It used to include the PMO icon in that spot too, but with this new, "improved" search, it's above the cache's name. 

Just using the same forever-scrolling format from the search page is probably why they missed it.

Your question has merit, and it'd be a good idea to add it to this Release Note thread.     :)

• Helpful 1

I think that part of the reasoning for dropping the trackables indicator from the search results is the fact that cache inventories are so often inaccurate.  The trackable symbol was, therefore, conveying misleading information in many cases.  If you still find it useful to search for caches where trackables are indicated as being present, this functionality is still available in pocket queries.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
On 4/26/2021 at 8:47 AM, Keystone said:

I think that part of the reasoning for dropping the trackables indicator from the search results is the fact that cache inventories are so often inaccurate.  The trackable symbol was, therefore, conveying misleading information in many cases.  If you still find it useful to search for caches where trackables are indicated as being present, this functionality is still available in pocket queries.

Wow, that would be unreasonable. I hope you're wrong. By that logic, they should remove trackables from cache listings altogether, not just in the list of caches. After all, if you think the yes/no information in the list is inaccurate, you should see the actual lists of what's in the caches! ;)

Personally, I think it's much more likely that they just forgot about trackables when they implemented the new list, although I can't rule out them thinking about them and deciding very few used the TB flag, so leaving it out wouldn't be a big deal. And the latter reasoning strikes me as valid: even though I like TBs and pay attention to them, I've never looked at a search list to see which caches had one. If I were implementing the list, I wouldn't dare to invoke the wrath of anyone that does look at that flag, but as a user, I'm fine with it not being there if they sat down and made a conscious decision to get rid of it.

3 hours ago, dprovan said:

Personally, I think it's much more likely that they just forgot about trackables when they implemented the new list, although I can't rule out them thinking about them and deciding very few used the TB flag, so leaving it out wouldn't be a big deal. And the latter reasoning strikes me as valid: even though I like TBs and pay attention to them, I've never looked at a search list to see which caches had one. If I were implementing the list, I wouldn't dare to invoke the wrath of anyone that does look at that flag, but as a user, I'm fine with it not being there if they sat down and made a conscious decision to get rid of it.

Thoughtful decisions typically are mentioned in the Release Notes.  Forgotten/overlooked items typically do not get discussed in the Release Notes, because they were forgotten.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
7 hours ago, Keystone said:

Thoughtful decisions typically are mentioned in the Release Notes.  Forgotten/overlooked items typically do not get discussed in the Release Notes, because they were forgotten.

So did they mention this in the original release notes? They mentioned it in last week's release notes, but that's because they've had 5 years of complaints about it.

• Upvote 1
On 5/15/2021 at 11:17 PM, Bingley3683 said:

It's annoying because I like to put a trackable in new caches I put out, and now I can't see which are the nearest caches with trackables.

The icon was unsuitable as a way to harvest Trackables (at least for the ensuing people who arrive to harvest the Trackables).  As Keystone mentioned, the icon showed that a Drop log was made, but that could have been dozens or hundreds of finds ago.  The coin itself is long gone.  Anyway, there are many reasons why the icon is still there or not yet there, and therefore not being an indicator of a TB's existence or non-existence.  It takes months or years sometimes for logs to catch up... again, reasons.  If you wish to harvest them, look at caches that frequently get TBs dropped into them.  Or just keep finding caches, because seeing a Trackable is more often a surprise. I keep tabs on a few local caches that are safe to place a TB, so I can place them, or for the rare times I retrieve one.  And I log a "Discover" when I see a Trackable, so I know where they (probably) are.  But I don't refer to the icon, except to help me determine which caches routinely get... harvested.  Caches that are not a good choice to place a TB.

I'm not saying the icon doesn't mean something, because it always does.  I'm just saying it's not a way to get your hands on Trackables.

The Old Search Page still shows the icons, and it is sortable by distance.  It's handy to have the info, at least to see where TBs can be placed.  When TPTB remove Trackable features from the site, that's a legitimate concern to Trackable Owners. 

But the icon alone doesn't mean a Trackable is there.  You still need to go look.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Bingley3683 said:

It's annoying because I like to put a trackable in new caches I put out, and now I can't see which are the nearest caches with trackables.

Curious...Do you feel folks are more apt to go for your cache FTF if it has a trackable in it when published ?  Thanks.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:49 AM, cerberus1 said:

Curious...Do you feel folks are more apt to go for your cache FTF if it has a trackable in it when published ?  Thanks.

I can't speak for Bingley3683, but from what I've seen, the idea is more of a bonus to the FTF rather than a lure, similar to the FTF prize. And just like the FTF prize, many FTFers don't take it. NanCycle is right: FTFers don't need a lure, at least not in my area.

On 5/16/2021 at 11:49 AM, cerberus1 said:

On 5/18/2021 at 2:31 PM, NanCycle said:

No, the FTF hounds are only interested in the FTF.

19 hours ago, dprovan said:

I can't speak for Bingley3683, but from what I've seen, the idea is more of a bonus to the FTF rather than a lure, similar to the FTF prize. And just like the FTF prize, many FTFers don't take it. NanCycle is right: FTFers don't need a lure, at least not in my area.

My question to Bingley3693 was if their experience with FTFers in their area necessitated raiding other people's caches just to remove trackables to place 'em in their new hide.   Just curious if there was an actual reason they were annoyed...

We've seen lots of COs adding their own trackables to their new hides, but figured it was simply a means to send them on their way.

Like both of you, we don't see many FTF taking prizes (if there is one), as their goal was that FTF.

5 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

My question to Bingley3693 was if their experience with FTFers in their area necessitated raiding other people's caches just to remove trackables to place 'em in their new hide.

Is that what he's asking? I guess you're right. Ha-ha! I thought he was trying to figure out when and where to put out a cache so it wasn't near other caches that already had trackables in them. Kinda dumb of me, in retrospect. But I'm glad we've sorted out that you weren't actually asking about his motives, only criticizing what he was doing regardless of why he was doing it. Now that I understand it, I think you're making a fair point.

On 5/15/2021 at 11:17 PM, Bingley3683 said:

7 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

My question to Bingley3693 was if their experience with FTFers in their area necessitated raiding other people's caches just to remove trackables to place 'em in their new hide. 

<...>

Why isn't this a legitimate way to keep TBs moving?

I'm trying to think badly about it, but I think I've DONE this!

• Upvote 1