Solved

9 hours ago, left_my_way said:

As a trackable owner I noticed some changes, like an extensive use of the visited function, that some people do with third party apps, when they put 250 'took it to' Logs within a week on your trackable. I mean, someone would say, that is what Trackables do, they travel... But I still remember those times, when Trackables just got received and dropped and you as a trackable owner could see on your Trackables map, where it has physically traveled from container to container. For example: I just released a Travelbugs three weeks ago. Someone who lives some 40km away retreived it, logged over 250 'took it to' on it and now, three weeks later, when I look at the map, I can't figure out, where it is anymore, map is full of dots... So those dots are not dots anymore, like it used to be dots where the trackable physically was in a container, they became dots nowadays, like someone's personal kilometer counter. I don't want to see that on the map of my trackable. It also has over 16000km on the map by now, I consider them as fake kilometers, cause the trackable still is only 40kms away. So if third party app users are able to autolog Trackables that way, there must be a function as well for trackable owners, to bulk deleted them again. I am not a programmer, but just looked at the API functions, and it offers "GET LOGS" and "DELETE LOG" functions for Trackables. So I think it should be very easy to code a function, like this: Select one of the Trackables you own, get a list of all logs of your trackable, checkbox all "visited" logs you want to have deleted and then bulk delete them.
???
please share your thoughts on this. Thanks

Let's code this function.

So this thread is also not to discuss, whether extensive use of 'visited' Logs with third party apps are a good thing or not. According to the geocaching guidelines is any trackable considered a private property of the owner, so let's just talk about, how to get the bulk delete function to work. Thanks

:laughing:

So you want a function that could affect everyone, but don't want to hear other views...   Hmm...    

You admit you "remember those times" when trackables were dipped into caches, by Dropping, then Retrieving from caches visited.

- Well those same people,  griping about "having to drop n retrieve each one...", wanted an easy way to do the same, and got it.

I got booed by folks when saying "Be careful what you wish for".    :D

You may find an individual that can dream up "a code" that might work until the next update. 

Doubtful that the site that created this "time-saving" feature would now create a way to bulk-delete it...

Agree with niraD, filtering trackable logs a good option. 

• Helpful 2
15 minutes ago, left_my_way said:

Well I don't want to discuss views, because they have been discussed already in other threads on this forum, and the outcome was none. The site, that created this "time saving" feature, created it, as far as I remember, for people with coin collections, who didn't want to manually log their trackable collection or Kilometercoins and creating two logs everytime, instead of one log now. And intentionally, it is set to NO ACTION on geocaching.com, so, without third party software.......... 

To be clear, I don't care for this "visit" log either, and only left one "visit" log myself, but its probably here to stay.

I held onto it too long, finding micros instead of the smalls that were listed.  I probably could have explained just as easily with a Write Note...

Coin collections had nothing to do with "visit" logs.  Collections don't move through caches.

- Maybe you're confusing collections with that "collectible" designation, that's actually the step before putting coins into a collection ?

IIRC it was mainly people who used one of their own trackables as a personal mileage tracker, and others thought it was a good idea too.   :)

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

You admit you "remember those times" when trackables were dipped into caches, by Dropping, then Retrieving from caches visited.

Yeah, the alternative is not to eliminate the auto-visiting of trackables into dozens/hundreds of caches.

The alternative is change auto-visiting from dozens/hundreds of Visit logs into dozens/hundreds of Drop logs combined with dozens/hundreds of Retrieve logs, which is what was happening before the introduction of Visit logs.

21 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

To be clear, I don't care for this "visit" log either, and only left one "visit" log myself, but its probably here to stay.

I've used Visit logs myself when a cache was related to the trackable's goal, but wasn't big enough to hold the trackable. But in those cases, I edited the log to describe the visit, and included a photo of the trackable at the location.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, left_my_way said:

So the question is, if the API supports GET LOGS and DELETE LOG for trackables, why is their no such function by now, to bulk delete visited logs?

Because you're the first person (at least that I've heard of) that has asked for this feature?

21 hours ago, left_my_way said:

Let's code this function.

In addition to this, mere commonfolk like ourselves are not permitted to directly access the Geocaching API as per the Terms of Service (and as a consequence the API License Agreement.) Thus, we are further restricted to platforms that are created for us by Authorized Developers, like Project-GC or GSAK. Luckily, it looks like somebody has created a GSAK macro for you (see above) and so it appears that you are in luck.

Edited by Hügh
7 hours ago, left_my_way said:

Well but this is actually not true, because before the introduction of visit logs, dozens/hundreds of Drop combined with Retrieve logs only happend from people with logging their own trackables to every cache they visit.

Back then, nobody would have ever spend the time to log other people's trackables that way.

:laughing:

"back then" ?    We've had cachers Drop n Retrieve (dip) our trackables in 2007 .. We've seen it earlier on those of others.

-  A bit earlier than you remember back in 2010 ...   

"Visit"  was created to make dipping easier, and we saw it used mostly by people wanting to dip their own trackables.

But I don't recall Groundspeak stating that it had an intended use other than ease of logging.

Edited by cerberus1
  • Helpful 1

Off topic, but I assume my suggestion above did resolve the OP’s issue, so I’m going for it anyway!  In my opinion...

Visit logs aren’t bad per se, it’s just the way that too many cachers use them that’s the problem.  Most TOs would be happy to see a visit (particularly with a photo) to a cache / location in keeping with the trackables goals.  And most would be happy with selected visits to new areas, say, to show the trackable’s journey.

The issues for me are (1) cachers that hold on for trackables too long (regardless of how few/many visits they log), and (2) the automated visits into 10 caches per mile, day after day after day - as the OP says, these make the trackables map unreadable.

I’m sure it would be possible to implement functionality that allows a TO to opt out of visits for their trackable, but then they’d miss out on those ‘nice’ visits that contribute to the trackable’s story...

On 4/26/2021 at 7:57 AM, left_my_way said:

Del

I’d already added my latest reply before I realised that the OP had effectively closed this thread by changing the title and content of the original post. Seems a shame - makes it harder for people with the same question to find an answer. ☹️

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

I’m sure it would be possible to implement functionality that allows a TO to opt out of visits for their trackable, but then they’d miss out on those ‘nice’ visits that contribute to the trackable’s story...

And ultimately, allowing owners to specify No Visited Logs for their trackables would make Visited logs unreliable. The automated logging would switch to Drop and Retrieve logs, rather than continue to use the unreliable Visited logs. I don't think that's a win for anyone.

1 minute ago, niraD said:

And ultimately, allowing owners to specify No Visited Logs for their trackables would make Visited logs unreliable. The automated logging would switch to Drop and Retrieve logs, rather than continue to use the unreliable Visited logs. I don't think that's a win for anyone.

I’m sure you’re right.

2 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

I’d already added my latest reply before I realised that the OP had effectively closed this thread by changing the title and content of the original post. Seems a shame - makes it harder for people with the same question to find an answer. ☹️

Yep, and removed other posts too.  Apparently didn't like the fact that others have different opinions, and they were incorrect in statements.   

23 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Coin collections had nothing to do with "visit" logs.  Collections don't move through caches.

- Maybe you're confusing collections with that "collectible" designation, that's actually the step before putting coins into a collection ?

IIRC it was mainly people who used one of their own trackables as a personal mileage tracker, and others thought it was a good idea too.   :)

Yes, you are correct, I deleted everything because it was full of incorrect statements. And thanks to cerberus1, who corrected what I said in the first place "Coin collections" to the correct term "milage tracker". And in another post corrected me with something I said from 2010 to 2007. What would the world do without cerberus1 correcting incorrect statements of others. Thanks to cerberus1. Thank you so much for correcting my incorrect statements. Thank you. 

• Funny 1