Geocache won't show on Garmin eTrex 25

florismk

This is driving me nuts! New to geocaching, about to embark on our first hunt using our brand-new Garmin eTrex 25. Found an easy cache near us to try: GC69M61. Loaded it onto the device using the Send to Garmin feature on the site. Nothing. Tried again by copying the GPX file to the GPX folder. Once again, nothing, except that I could see the GPX already there. The cache still doesn't show in the UI of the eTrex. Replaced ❤️ with 'love' in the filename and GPX content, in case that symbol is an issue for the eTrex. Still doesn't show.

Edited to add: All caches that I've sent to Garmin are in the GPX folder on the device. Only one of them is shown in the UI.

Edited by florismk
2 hours ago, florismk said:

All caches that I've sent to Garmin are in the GPX folder on the device. Only one of them is shown in the UI.

I changed one of my caches to have that red heart emoticon in the title, and my Garmin Oregon has a blank space where the "heart" would be, and the cache is shown.  Did you update your GPS to the newest software?  Garmin Express should offer that when you run Garmin Express.

From your description, I'm guessing it's just a filter selection.  There are filters to hide caches from view, such as by type.  Some filters seem to arrive already set, by the factory.  Maybe there's a filter selected on your Etrex.  Also, you found GC69M61, and "Found" caches are usually set by factory default to not display, so that cache might not show, unless you change filters.

Also remember that caches beyond about 60 miles (100 km) from where the GPS identifies as its position, don't automatically appear in a search.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
On 4/24/2021 at 5:06 PM, kunarion said:

From your description, I'm guessing it's just a filter selection.

On 4/25/2021 at 12:00 AM, Great Scott! said:

Filters.

I'm afraid not, kunarion and Great Scott. I've reset the filters to show all, and the result is the same. One cache I previously sent to the device is showing, despite the fact that I've deleted the GPX from the folder. And several I've also sent to the device are still not showing. I've submitted a ticket with Garmin. It's like the source for the caches is not the GPX folder they point to in the manual. Thanks for your help!

34 minutes ago, florismk said:

I'm afraid not, kunarion and Great Scott. I've reset the filters to show all, and the result is the same. One cache I previously sent to the device is showing, despite the fact that I've deleted the GPX from the folder. And several I've also sent to the device are still not showing. I've submitted a ticket with Garmin. It's like the source for the caches is not the GPX folder they point to in the manual. Thanks for your help!

How far are the caches from your location?  Beyond about 60 miles (100 km) the device will make them invisible to a search.  You'll have to get closer or scroll the map to see them.

If you load a cache GPX file manually and also load the GPX file using "Send To Garmin", you have two files with the same information.  That is, you could then delete one file and still have the icon shown, because the cache infio is in the remaining file.  The GPS picks one to use (the newest one, I think).

If it's not filters, another possibility is a corrupt database.  Garmin may help you with that.  It's the folder called "SQL".  This may be a good time to backup the whole file structure of the Etrex if possible.  Save the whole "drive", so you have at least the accessible files, just in case.

Depending on your PC, you may need to wait a while after loading files, before disconnecting the USB cable.  Or use the "Eject" feature, to ensure that files are properly "closed" after they're sent.  With Windows 10, I just wait a couple extra minutes, and I haven't had a problem.  But if the PC becomes busy (starts doing other file tasks in the background), files may not have time to close.  At least try a right-click and "Eject" for a while and see if it helps.

Are you using a Mac?  Apple computers have the additional complication of requiring you to "empty the trash" before a "deleted" file truly becomes deleted from a drive (and of course requires the drive to remain connected to delete the file).

32 minutes ago, kunarion said:

How far are the caches from your location?

About 2-5km. Multiple preinstalled caches are shown in the list in the same distance range.

32 minutes ago, kunarion said:

If you load a cache GPX file manually and also load the GPX file using "Send To Garmin", you have two files with the same information.  That is, you could then delete one file and still have the icon shown, because the cache infio is in the remaining file. 

Yes, after I'd done that the geocache GPX file was shown twice in the filesystem, and I deleted one. Neither showed on the device though.

33 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Depending on your PC, you may need to wait a while after loading files, before disconnecting the USB cable.  Or use the "Eject" feature

I always use the Eject feature.

33 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Are you using a Mac?

Nope, Windows 10.

7 minutes ago, florismk said:

How embarassing: it was filters after all. The Micro size was still turned off in filters, and the missing geocaches were micro. Well, at least I had reason to find out how to delete all preloaded caches. Thanks for your help!

Cool!  :P

Plus you can get rid of the factory "pre-installed" cache info which tends to be obsolete (it's a marketing gimmick).

• Upvote 1