Browse map search and Pocket Queries buttons make the main menu dissapear

ardila.nl

I've tried this on Windows in:

• Firefox 88.0
  • Chrome 90.0.4430.85
  • Edge  90.0.818.42

I've also tried on Linux (don't remember the versions)

• Firefox
  • Chromium

When I go to the browse map everything seems fine:
2094998081_Screenshot2021-04-23215810.png.3d0fd43c6c75a9c616b98fa51d6661bd.png

But when I click "Search" or "Pocket Queries" the entire main menu disappears:
1580791449_Screenshot2021-04-23215829.png.416ad7ffd868a6e027ad50a91128e8ce.png

And and piece of whitespace appears on the bottom:
656068417_Screenshot2021-04-23215846.png.1ee84f76ae8ec4b93791b1a69585647e.png

I've tried disabling:

• Tamper Monkey
  • uBlock Origins

Independent and together. But my edge installation is clean and has no addons.
I've tried clearing all stored information for the website using F12, developer tools and deleting everything under "Storage"

Using F12 I do see some errors before clicking anywhere:
De bron van ‘https://tiles01.geocaching.com/map.info?ts=2&x=8471&y=5385&z=14&k=CjpK&st=Ar1_OU0ucAlmTVpAjVD5E_3QVdZe14eYMiO6DQDCpGeGKvnZ9TZU5_jtmWVLzsynGiRX7Zyp8pLoDznR8o8zDnXleDpQxFc_vkpK8vMXNallOTkS8T8YzarJ7LxHTp-v0&ep=1&callback=jQuery3510311044647920694_1619208401333&_=1619208401334’ is geblokkeerd vanwege een niet-overeenkomend MIME-type (‘’) (X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff).

• Upvote 2

At least you get to see something on the page. I'm using Chrome on Windows 10. When I try to view the map page, whether by browsing or copy/paste, the page blinks as it tries to load and will only show a blank, white page. I prefer using Chrome, I only have the other browsers for testing or as a backup.

I hope this can be fixed for Chrome soon!

1 hour ago, sheetrum said:

I'm using Chrome on Windows 10. When I try to view the map page, whether by browsing or copy/paste, the page blinks as it tries to load and will only show a blank, white page.

I can not confirm that. I see the same thing in Chrome as in Firefox. And the point discussed here is also available with chrome.

Have you ever tried clearing the browser cache?

With the keys Ctrl, Shift and c you can start the console. If you take the tab Console, is there something in red?

Have you add ons or scripts running?

On 4/23/2021 at 11:20 PM, em_adventuring said:

Thank you for reporting this. We have passed this along to the Engineering team.

Any update on this?

In the hopes that borders will open up later this year I'm trying to plan a geocaching holiday and I can do it but this bug makes the process much slower

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

I can't believe this bug is still here two full weeks later. It's abyssmal how HQ handles updates and the associated bugs.

* No testing before release?

* No rollback

* No bug tracker

* Poor response, at least the no-pq-for-you bug and message center bug is resorted now (thanks for that I guess)

For the time being project-gc.com has a map.

Edited by Keystone
Reference to unauthorized app removed by moderator
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1
On 4/23/2021 at 11:20 PM, em_adventuring said:

Thank you for reporting this. We have passed this along to the Engineering team.

Week 3 since I reported this bug and the it's still there.

It's starting to feel like this is an attempt by HQ to push everyone to the newer search map.

Like they want everyone to use newer features so they're not giving any priority to fixing older features which they break when implementing the new features.

I wouldn't dare try this at work. To introduce a new feature, breaking an existing feature and than ignore the bug reports for 3 weeks.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

@ardila.nl

While I understand that this bug, like any bug, can be annoying, there is a simple workaround - the back button in your browser as noted by @msrubble.

Hence it is not like the page and all its function are completely unusable and people need to drop everything to fix this, especially when there were other seek/nearest vs new search results related bugs to fix that had higher priority. It will be fixed, it may just take a while.

As far as your other claims and assumptions about Geocaching HQ's motives are concerned, it would be appreciated if you could stop spreading unfounded claims like this that cause angst for other players.

• Upvote 4
  • Funny 2
  • Surprised 1
14 hours ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

As far as your other claims and assumptions about Geocaching HQ's motives are concerned, it would be appreciated if you could stop spreading unfounded claims like this that cause angst for other players.

To be clear. I'm not claiming anything. It was purely based on my feelings.

But I will tone down my assumptions and try to stick to the facts when reporting bugs

It's just that something similar happened at work with a software supplier who ignored our bug reports and than introduced a new feature to "replace" the old one which didn't have the same functionality which gave us troubles with customers.

So Sorry, I might have overreacted a bit.

On 5/14/2021 at 5:48 PM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

While I understand that this bug, like any bug, can be annoying, there is a simple workaround - the back button in your browser as noted by @msrubble.

Hence it is not like the page and all its function are completely unusable and people need to drop everything to fix this, especially when there were other seek/nearest vs new search results related bugs to fix that had higher priority. It will be fixed, it may just take a while.

msrubble's solution does not work, as the browser history updates when panning, also reload does not help in some scenarios depending on what the URL says.

In Firefox, if I go to the inspector and remove the CSS statement:

min-height: 100%;

then the map works again. I understand that it's not this easy to fix the map, as it probably breaks something else. But unlike me, your developers (hopefully) have the code that did work and can compare to the current broken code.

Also lame move to remove my last post. If you take issue with what I express be upfront about it! It was to the best of my intent constructive albeit a bit harsh.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 2