Proposed change to TB FAQ page

BKip

I propose a change to the Travel Bug FAQ page. Many a time a finder has either used the Tracking Number in their log entry or have posted a close-up photo showing the Tracking Number, which often leads to "virtual" DISCOVERYs, meaning they discovered the log or photo, not the actual item.

My proposed change:
On the "Travel Bug FAQ", Under the topic: Is there any Travel Bug etiquette?" add, Do not list the Tracking Number in your log entry or post a photograph that shows the Tracking Number.

Sample1_TB (2).jpg

Sample2_TB.jpg

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, BKip said:

I propose a change to the Travel Bug FAQ page. Many a time a finder has either used the Tracking Number in their log entry or have posted a close-up photo showing the Tracking Number, which often leads to "virtual" DISCOVERYs, meaning they discovered the log or photo, not the actual item.

My proposed change:
On the "Travel Bug FAQ", Under the topic: Is there any Travel Bug etiquette?" add, Do not list the Tracking Number in your log entry or post a photograph that shows the Tracking Number.

I agree. A short blurb like in The Help Center:

Tracking code

This code is on the trackable item. It is meant to be seen only by people who have the trackable in their hands. Use this code to post “Retrieve”, “Drop”, “Discover”, “Visit”, or “Grab” logs. Please do not show this code in your uploaded photos or logs.

Edited by Max and 99
4 hours ago, BKip said:

My proposed change:

Many people get confused by reading the helpful info.  A good example is it's a tracking code

It's simple for a CO or TO to remove that photo.  In fact, most times when I find one visible, it's the TOs own photos.    :D

Some TOs want their trackables to be Discovered virtually, and that is allowed.    

4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I agree. A short blurb like in The Help Center:

Tracking code

This code is on the trackable item. It is meant to be seen only by people who have the trackable in their hands. Use this code to post “Retrieve”, “Drop”, “Discover”, “Visit”, or “Grab” logs. Please do not show this code in your uploaded photos or logs.

That's odd, in the Help Center  I read it says, "Logging trackables that you have not personally seen is strongly discouraged. It is up to the trackable owner to state if they allow this."

18 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Many people get confused by reading the helpful info.  A good example is it's a tracking code

It's simple for a CO or TO to remove that photo.  In fact, most times when I find one visible, it's the TOs own photos.    :D

Some TOs want their trackables to be Discovered virtually, and that is allowed.    

In the past I've done things such as sending an email request asking please remove photo/TN with varying results, from "I'm sorry, I remove it" to angry responses to none responses. It would make it easier to point to a specific guideline rather than making it appear as "because I say so".

• Upvote 2

The default should be that it's not allowed. If a TO wants virtual discover logs, they should state that - it should be the exception.

I agree with this proposed change, with the notation that TO's can allow them if they wish by stating it clearly on the TB page.

Edited by TriciaG
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
42 minutes ago, BKip said:

In the past I've done things such as sending an email request asking please remove photo/TN with varying results, from "I'm sorry, I remove it" to angry responses to none responses.

It would make it easier to point to a specific guideline rather than making it appear as "because I say so".

Guideline ?  I just showed you how the Help Center itself isn't "specific".   It all depends which section you're reading.    :)

Max and 99 gave you one example, I had one completely different.  "Spoiler" seems to be subjective, when it comes to "virtual" Discovers.   

Another example is in the FAQ, it says,  "Try to move trackables within two weeks of taking them.", where in the Help Center it says "Only take a trackable if you are going geocaching in the next 2-3 weeks."    

And the tracking code on trackable pages is still called a "number"...