Gold Country Geotour

gershu

Im planning on tackling the Gold Country Geotour this summer and would like some insight from people who have done it or plan on going.   I've used the cachetur app and site to help streamline things.  I've broken it up into 3 trips  I'd looooove to attempt to do it in one go but this covers a lot of country so not sure how plausible my expectations are.   Any tips tricks or hints on how to most effectively go about this 

I strongly doubt that you will be able to finish the GeoTour completely in three trips, let alone a summer. Many of the caches are far down forest service roads and are definitely "full-day expeditions" (ie. GC1TQCK — it'll probably take a full day, starting and ending at Clinton. Jesmond Rd. is not paved; it's a gravel road full of potholes. By the time we got to Echo Valley Ranch, the road had turned to mud. We decided to turn around. If we had a 4x4 we might have made it a little further. Same deal with GC3QN9X and GC3QN60, those are both multi-hour hikes; GC1V20G we ended up spending the night camping near the cache site.)

Then again, you only need 24 finds to get the prize (and an additional prize for each additional set of 24 finds.) Consider going for the low-hanging fruit on your first few trips, and then specifically planning expeditions to the difficult-to-reach ones afterwards.

The hides are almost all ammo cans, or their signature faux rocks. They shouldn't take all that long to find, though a few have been quite challenging. Don't forget to grab a second sticker for your book, too.

Edited by Hügh
  • Upvote 1

im so excited for this!!   I figured as much when I put some of the coordinates into Google earth and they looked really far out there.   I truly appreciate your input.   Without a doubt I'll be aiming for a minimum of 24 caches to get a prize   remember.....there's gold in dem der hills :)

No problem! I'm sure that you'll have no problem finding 24 (we found 48 on our first trip, which was three days long. This was back when they had Gold Country events every summer. It was nice to get a chance to the creators at the daily events and get advice.)

2 hours ago, gershu said:

there's gold in dem der hills

Heh! We've stumbled across iron pyrite, and lots and lots of jade.