Cases for Multiple or One GPS?

BOTOCH

Just curious what you guys might use for holding your GPSs for traveling around.  Do you just keep them in your back pack or do you have a hard case?  I have screen protectors on Garmin 66s and Etrex 10 so we typically just have them in the bag with other stuff, but have been thinking about getting a case like this Pelican to hold both GPSs and we might get a third for my wife, she typically uses her phone while my daughter and I use our GPSs.  This particular one looks like it would hold all three if we were traveling somewhere and protect better than in the bag.  I have seen the single Garmin case advertised but most of the reviews say it is very loose in there and for the price not really highly recommended.  

Pelican Case

Edited by BOTOCH

I would imagine that would simply be a personal choice. Mine is just in the arm rest in the truck -- and usually stays there because I forget it! Or else it is on the computer desk after adding data.  A hard case would be good. I have a small backpack for holding g geocaching stuff -- but it is usually in the shed while I am out caching,. Very seldom do I need anything but it would be good to have when needed. The reason for it being there at p[resent is I had too get rid of the car it was and there is no room in the truck at present.

• Upvote 1

I've used a Oregon 450 for years until the button fell off, and then still used it for some. I never removed the screen protector foil it came with. There are a few scratches on it, but I don't think it's that severe. Yeah, a few more scratches on the casing, and especially on the edge around the screen but it doesn't matter for me. I think GPSs are build to survive little bumps. Thus: nothing special, really. I might throw it into my backpack or suitcase when I go traveling, otherwise it's probably on a lanyard around my neck.

• Upvote 1

Mine (plural) I keep mine in their soft cases and they then live in an old / surplus toiletries pouch. Then into whatever the major transport carrier might be indicated. (back-pack, book bag, flight bag etc) 

Hard cases make for a more difficult packing situation and always find a way to poke you in a most annoying way.

HOWEVER, I initially read the title wrong >>>>>> first impression was more like " how do you justify multiple GPS'rs".  LOL, LOL ... 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, BOTOCH said:

Just curious what you guys might use for holding your GPSs for traveling around.  Do you just keep them in your back pack or do you have a hard case?  I have screen protectors on Garmin 66s and Etrex 10 so we typically just have them in the bag with other stuff, but have been thinking about getting a case like this Pelican to hold both GPSs and we might get a third for my wife, she typically uses her phone while my daughter and I use our GPSs.  This particular one looks like it would hold all three if we were traveling somewhere and protect better than in the bag.  I have seen the single Garmin case advertised but most of the reviews say it is very loose in there and for the price not really highly recommended.  

Pelican Case

The Garmin Neoprene Hard Case only holds one at a time, but it could protect anything from an Etrex to an Oregon, any will fit.  The case itself is a little large, so it may be harder to manage with small hands. But it has a cool design where you can lift the GPS slightly from the case to hold it, and to access the buttons, while it remains protected.  The case can hang open horozontally on a backpack D-ring, so you can see the display and have both hands free.  It's easy to un-clip the GPS from inside the case, to swap it onto a different mount, or to calibrate the compass.  Other than that, you can pretty much leave it in the case all the time.  It's an ideal case if you may hand it to someone to try Geocaching, and you want to minimize the damage if they drop it (or if they set it on rocks or whatever).

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/26667/pn/010-10850-20

I've used this same case about as long as I've had my GPSrs, and I love it!  The Garmin doesn't get all beat up, it's well-protected, screen and all.  I clip the case to my pack when preparing for a hike, then clip it to a pants belt loop, or I clip it to my pack strap, for the cache hunt.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, BOTOCH said:

Just curious what you guys might use for holding your GPSs for traveling around. 

Do you just keep them in your back pack or do you have a hard case?  I have screen protectors on Garmin 66s and Etrex 10 so we typically just have them in the bag with other stuff, but have been thinking about getting a case like this Pelican to hold both GPSs and we might get a third for my wife, she typically uses her phone while my daughter and I use our GPSs.  This particular one looks like it would hold all three if we were traveling somewhere and protect better than in the bag.  I have seen the single Garmin case advertised but most of the reviews say it is very loose in there and for the price not really highly recommended.  

Was curious why someone would need multiple GPSrs...    :laughing:

I've had a 60cxs on it's belt clip since 2005.  Replaced the clip and knob once.   It has a zagg protector on the screen.  That's it.   :)

Sits in my belt, or clipped to a back pack strap, simply press the release, take a look, and push it back on. 

Most times I drop it on the seat on the way home.  "Traveling", if it isn't just sitting on the seat, it's in with other gear...

GPSrs aren't near as fragile as my phone (12 mini), with a otterbox defender, JIC.

• Upvote 1
On 4/22/2021 at 10:21 AM, cerberus1 said:

Was curious why someone would need multiple GPSrs...    :laughing:

'Well let me say this  ... about that"

!.     Have been known to be out in the boonies and have had units "go south".  Nice to have had a back-up unit(s).

2.    Have been a beta tester for Garmin and it has been most convenient to be able to "cross check" against the unit(s) being evaluated.

3.    Used to teach the hobby of geocaching and was helpful in the never ending tasks of

a) show and tell demonstrations.

b) "corralling the cats".

• Upvote 1

I just keep mine clipped with the carabiner attachment. To my backpack strap if I'm wearing one. Or to my belt loop on pants. Or I just keep the GPSr in my pocket.

Oh but I do have a soft silicon case around it and a screen protector on. I got those for $8 from Aliexpress

But hard cases where you have to actually open the case every time you want to look at the unit is just inconvenient. I had one ages ago when I was using a Garmin Colorado 300. Got to say, I still have that unit and the screen is in pretty good condition despite being actively used and having had no screen protector on it.

On 4/22/2021 at 12:47 PM, Maingray said:

Nothing special. With my current montana 700i I do keep it in a harder case as I'm super paranoid about that large screen.

I hear ya.  I see it has Gorilla Glass now. I've busted a bunch of those on my phones. I keep it in a simi hard case by Niteez.  On my chest strap on the larger day pack or in my front hiking shirt wife pockets. With screen facing my body in both carry styles. 

20210401_110259.jpg-640x480.jpg

On 4/25/2021 at 2:22 PM, humboldt flier said:

'Well let me say this  ... about that"

!.     Have been known to be out in the boonies and have had units "go south".  Nice to have had a back-up unit(s).

2.    Have been a beta tester for Garmin and it has been most convenient to be able to "cross check" against the unit(s) being evaluated.

3.    Used to teach the hobby of geocaching and was helpful in the never ending tasks of

a) show and tell demonstrations.

b) "corralling the cats".

Heck I don't do that although years ago we hiked the larger peaks in winter and I carried two for safety backup etc.  But my wife carries one as we always go cacheing or hiking together plus I have other gpsr's for snowmachines as well. 

Here is how I carry my GPS units around. I use the Garmin neoprene case for  the GPSMAP series while caching.  I toss it in the zippered bag for travel.  I use the hard case for the 66 series while traveling and use the unit 'as is'  for caching.  Both units have clear screen protectors.  For me, I like the extra protection especially since these GPS units are not exactly cheap.  Hope this helps.  PeoriaBill

IMG_9243.jpg

• Upvote 1