non logging cachers

Jayeffel

I was a bit surprised today when going after two fairly hard caches. Just after I found and looked one, and started to walk to the other one (along an abandoned rail trail) I met a lady on her bicycle. She stopped and we conversed , she thought maybe aI was mushroom hunting. When I told her I was looking for caches, not mushrooms , she said ,  "Oh, I do that too".  Thinking I may have seen some of her logs I asked what her caching name iss and she said she did not have one, she just looks for fun and does not log them or sign them.Very shortly after that another lady came by and she also was a casual cacher doing what the other lady did. They did not know each other before that. I guess, I did not think to ask, that they locate caches via Geocaching.com.

Have you encountered such cachers ? I was a bit surprised with two at one time.

A couple of months back I was repeatedly messaged by a PM cacher wanting more and more hints for one of my hides (a 2/3.5 traditional). Their profile showed zero finds, zero hides and they'd never visited the website. Eventually they stopped and when I next checked on that cache there was a signature in the logbook from around that date that didn't match any online logs, so I guess they found it although the name in the logbook didn't match their account name. I found it all a bit creepy.

• Funny 1

Years ago, I met someone who started geocaching before the geocaching.com site existed. When he started the game, you wrote your log in a physical log book. He still did that even after the geocaching.com site was created, and never started logging online.

We all play the game in our own ways.

Some are not driven by numbers or a little smiley filling up the map.

It always makes me laugh reading about people complaining about cheating and such, this just a form of entertainment not a competition and these folks prove that.

I'll keep logging though ;) Got a new county this weekend! 

• Surprised 1
6 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

Have you encountered such cachers ? I was a bit surprised with two at one time.

This is a often-asked subject.  We know a lot of people who never log online, but sign the cache log. Most started well before us.

These are the people who used to write poems, draw pictures, or press flowers in our log books in ammo cans. Still our favorite cachers.

Most found that cache, had lunch and maybe chat with others there, then head for home.  Usually caches a good distance from parking.

Now that a "log" is a folded/rolled paper strip, and a container is a pill bottle, we haven't seen half the names we used to. 

I myself haven't logged a lot of caches found. If the cache is so bad that I can't write anything nice, I simply don't log it.  It's just a smiley.

- The last log I wrote on one of those was attached to the back of a porta potty...

I also don't log weekly/monthly, or events with the same people each time.  Some I see weekly (at least) without events. 

17 hours ago, niraD said:

Years ago, I met someone who started geocaching before the geocaching.com site existed. When he started the game, you wrote your log in a physical log book. He still did that even after the geocaching.com site was created, and never started logging online.

Oh, and of course, a lot of newbies that I introduce to geocaching will sign the log, but may or may not actually create a geocaching.com account and log the find online.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, niraD said:

Oh, and of course, a lot of newbies that I introduce to geocaching will sign the log, but may or may not actually create a geocaching.com account and log the find online.

Yep.  Forgot about that.   :)  We've had a bunch under wing too, not all became members, but every one signed the log (usually in their real name).

20 hours ago, niraD said:

That wasn't Dave Ulmer was it?  I have found 2 caches in Oregon that he signed the paper log as "Dave Ulmer the father of geocaching".  The last time I checked, he had logged 15 caches online but he has found many more than that. I have a Red Skleton DVD that he put in a cache as SWAG.

Not logging Finds online seems to create extra work with regard to tracking which caches you have or haven't found. Then again, depending in your memory and how often you cache, finding the same cache more than once could still be a challenge. 

I've only personally encountered a few non-loggers. Most were very casual cachers. One of the more memorable ones has thousands of finds with his significant other, but has never logged a Find even though she does. 

There is at least one longtime cacher I've seen who has frozen their Find count. He's been at 4999 Finds for a long time because he's stopped logging Finds, although he still logs Notes. Occasionally on something menorable he actually logs it as a Find, but changes an old Find to a Note to keep his count the same. Never met him so I don't know the story of why he does this.

5 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Not logging Finds online seems to create extra work with regard to tracking which caches you have or haven't found.

Then again, depending in your memory and how often you cache, finding the same cache more than once could still be a challenge. 

Every "non logger" we've ever met were on caches a good length into the woods, or up mountains.  

It seemed (to us) that they wouldn't mind one bit if they were at that area again though.    :)

No worry of roadside carp, I think it's pretty simple.  One showed me she just logged the GC# of found caches in a notepad.   

I liked the idea, but the other 2/3rds (stats nut) would wring my neck.   :D