Release Notes (Website: Links now point to new search results) - April 20, 2021

Release Notes (Website: Links now point to new search results) - April 20, 2021

With today’s release, we have updated links on Geocaching.com that were pointing to the old search results, with the exception of Pocket Query preview links. (Note that you can still see the old search results if you have a direct link, or if searching via the old search.)

Why did we make this update?
There are many different ways to search for geocaches on Geocaching.com. With this update, we are taking the first step towards retiring the old search, which has remained in place for six years since the current search was released in March 2015. The goal is to reduce the confusion from (and related cost of maintaining) multiple search experiences, but also to reduce website vulnerabilities. As a benefit, this update provides consistent filtering and sorting, the option to add caches to a List, and the increased option to map caches from the search results.

Details about the update
We have updated all links that currently link to the old search results (except Pocket query previews). These links now link to the new search results. For example, a link that started with www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx now links to a URL starting with www.geocaching.com/play/search.

The following links are updated:

You’ll now get all the benefits from the new search, such as:

• Mapping search results (this was not possible for all results in the old search)
  • Adding search results to Lists (this was not possible from old search results)
  • Option to further filter search results
  • Additional (and consistent) filters and sorting
    • Premium members can sort on all columns, Geocache Name, Distance, Favorite, etc.
    • Basic members can sort on Distance

Other differences to note:

• With this change, we removed the workaround for Basic members to access Premium member filter options. 
  • Basic members no longer see all finds from another player.
  • The new search results don’t show some of the information that the old search results show. For example if a cache contains trackables or has an uncleared Needs Maintenance icon.
  • Results are limited to 1000 caches (please use sorting and filtering to further narrow down the results as necessary).

Nicole (nykkole) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Surprised 11
35 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Can someone explain this to me? 

If a basic member opens the profile page of another user and goes to the Geocache section, the link "All geocache finds" is gone. For a premium member it is still there.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
40 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:
1 hour ago, Geocaching HQ said:

Basic members no longer see all finds from another player.

I took it to mean that Basic members wouldn't be able to see PM-only caches in a Premium member's find list [thus limiting their ability to glean info about those caches]. 

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Quelqu'un peut m'expliquer cela? 

What I understand is that before today the basic members, could find the GC codes of premium caches by going through the list of caches found by a premium member .. but I don't know I'm not Basic ..

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

reybr had the correct answer: If a Basic member looks at the profile page of another player, the text "All Geocache Finds" (and any cache types in the finds list) are not linked. Viewing the finds of another player is a Premium member filter option.

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 5
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, lapiduch said:

But what is not good is default sort of listed caches by "DISTANCE from HC" in users´ finds. Please - return back default sort by last find date (in the list of my finds) as it was set in old search or add user specific settings for my default sort (not by distance but by any column anyone want - e.g. last used sort to be saved and can be used again when you open the page next time)! I don´t wanna click on sort anytime when I access my finds (or friends finds) - I don´t wanna see closest caches first - it doesn´t make sense.

Thank you (and others who have mentioned it) for the feedback of the default sort by "Found On" date when viewing someone's finds. This is on our list of possible future improvements.

• Upvote 5
  • Surprised 8
  • Helpful 1

Thanks for the clarifications nykkole!  Apart from the 'shock' of the change, it seems as though most all of the information is still accessible. It'll just be getting used to the 1000 finds max (rather than paging through all results), and the loss of the compact appearance of the list.

The function being PM only answers whether basic members can see PMO caches in the list. :)

• Upvote 1

Actually - I saw a good point raised. If the viewing of the finds/hides is now a PM feature, will puzzles that require users (basic included) to obtain information from these lists no longer be allowed? Such info will be astronomically more difficult for non-PM users to find, if at all.

• Upvote 2

2 more thoughts.

1. Showing the date I found a cache in a friends “found list” was very helpful in the past.

2. What is the “+” used for on the far right column?  It doesn’t seem to offer or ask for any action on my part.

• Upvote 6

With this change, it currently seems impossible for standard members to search for unfound caches. Which would be a show stopper for a lot of people, including me. Please elaborate on that.

Edited by morinox
typo
  • Upvote 2

Another glitch is when looking at a profile, and you sort the “found on” columb to the newest first, when you scroll down a few pages, the dates start to be out of sequence, then showing the last find date for that cache, not the find date for that geocacher.

C23306EC-9C81-479B-9A92-3F1218A72F48.png

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
3 hours ago, nykkole said:

Thank you (and others who have mentioned it) for the feedback of the default sort by "Found On" date when viewing someone's finds. This is on our list of possible future improvements.

The same applies to the owned caches lists, they ought to be sorted by date placed.

• Upvote 7
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Puh. This "feature" increases the difficulty by at least two stars of all these vanity caches where you had to identify special finds of the celebrated user. That means that you have to count out now that a special find was the user's 827th personal find or which cache was his find number 555. I know lots of these mysteries...

• Upvote 3

Yesterday I discovered that you have the new update for the new website. But I'm not happy about having to date every time. I would prefer with old as I trvis this. I hope to gladly return. But see if most people want old so better to change. But if you choose a new version or old ones, it is recommended that people choose which type. But think of older old people who are used to the same website. When you see people want back, you should return the old version. It feels stupid for distance and old first cache so not good.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2

The main drawbacks have already been mentioned so I won't repeat them. Just to note that this is a big no for me. Visually, the new layout is a mess. Can't see any improvement from the user point of view. An opt out switch to the old view would be much appreciated!

• Upvote 8

A result that seems strange to me...

I selected 'All Geocache Finds' for a friend's account, and the results correctly showed their 500+ cache finds.  I then clicked on 'Filters' and 'FOUND STATUS: Found' to see which of those caches I'd found too.  Instead of getting a subset of their caches, the results showed a superset of the caches that at least one of us had found.  Not at all useful, but is this working as designed or a bug?

Edited by IceColdUK
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

It's crazy. Nor Basic Members neither Premium Members cannot see all other member's finds .

"Results are limited to 1000 caches (please use sorting and filtering to further narrow down the results as necessary)."

Please bring the paging back and throw an <censored> Ajax far away.

• Upvote 8

Big problem is, that in this view is no possibility to search the cache which was found by user at specific date. for example if I need find, what cache was founded by user seedcorp 5-th of march 2010, it is problem, becouse he has more than 25 000 fouded caches.... And searching of this type is neccesary for solution of some mystery caches...

• Upvote 5
3 minutes ago, oz_bean_counter said:

I'm going against the grain - I like it!

Finally, I can do some meaningful filtering on CO's caches, or search by geocache name.

It's a good day for me :D

You were able to do so previously as well, just by using search page. The only new feature I see is the possibility to filter on caches found by someone else. This could however be done just by adding option to search filtering instead of breaking old finds/hides lists.

• Helpful 1
7 minutes ago, dadoskawina said:

You were able to do so previously as well, just by using search page. The only new feature I see is the possibility to filter on caches found by someone else. This could however be done just by adding option to search filtering instead of breaking old finds/hides lists.

I've never seen the "old" search page until today! So happy to have it in the filter.