How to Search for Good Travel Bug Hotels?

BOTOCH

We just activated our first travel bug and we were hoping to put it in a travel bug hotel or somewhere where we know it will travel, like maybe off a rest area on a major highway or something similar.  Are there ways to narrow searches specifically for travel bug hotels and any tips on how to know a good cache where travel bugs are taken for real travel and not just to be taken for swag or not get moved?  

Thanks!  

• Funny 1
10 minutes ago, BOTO14 said:

We just activated our first travel bug and we were hoping to put it in a travel bug hotel or somewhere where we know it will travel, like maybe off a rest area on a major highway or something similar.  Are there ways to narrow searches specifically for travel bug hotels and any tips on how to know a good cache where travel bugs are taken for real travel and not just to be taken for swag or not get moved?  

Thanks!  

It would be helpful to know the approximate location. There are sites for the most popular travel bug hotels. 

Honestly, no - there's no good way to search for them. And if they have that in their name, that doesn't mean that they're reputable (i.e. your TB won't get stolen).

And you only control the first drop. You could choose the best cache to put it in, then the next person could take it and put it in a bad one. :wacko: TB's are a roll of the dice.

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, BOTO14 said:

You could do a search for the word hotel I guess, but you'd still miss a lot.

We never seemed to have much luck with "hotels".  For us they've been more of a hoarder magnet than anything helpful.

Look for how many watches are on that cache may give a clue ...

We've found caches away from busy areas hold trackables safely, and wouldn't think of dropping someone's property in a busy area. YMMV... 

Once you release your trackable, you have no further control.  Hopefully it's still in play a while, and sorta meets a goal.  :)

Why do you have a different name for the forums ?

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Why do you have a different name for the forums ?

Well the name here reflects when my wife and I opened the account back in 2005, well now we have an 11 year and she realized our name doesn't include her so we changed it to include her.  I thought it changed it everywhere but for some reason not on the forums but I will see if I can change that to make it match our new geocaching name as well.  We didn't want to start a whole new account and loose our logged caches.