I have a lua file... so now what?

oz_bean_counter

Hi, good morning / good evening, wherever you are!

I've acquired (OK, I've outright stolen, using the goodwill of @Ranger Fox and his open source code) the lua files for not one but two whereigos I want to replicate here in SEQ. Thank you RF! However, I can't open these in Wherigo builder, or do anything useful with them. In fact, I can't even open gwc files in Wherigo builder, as the lua file is associated with cartridges. #@$#@ why God why!!!! OK, back to the topic.

So I'm wondering if there is an easier builder to work with that is going to let me put these lua files to good use so I don't need to start again. I need to tailor them to be suitable to the local environment. I'm pretty comfortable playing around with code, so that isn't the issue, I just need a builder that... works!

Win 10 64 bit here. 

Many many thanks.

Edited by oz_bean_counter

The answer is, probably no. Generally, builders do not have the ability to parse Lua and reconstruct logic/control-flow in a 

Some builders place this type of metadata in comments in the Lua files it writes. In that case, if you open the Lua file using the same builder that generated it, it might work. 

Edited by Hügh
  • Helpful 1

...but if you're comfortable with coding, perhaps just edit the relevant parts? Then, place the Lua code in a zip file, and upload that to the Wherigo website. 

You can also use Webwigo, the web emulator, to test your modified cartridge. It should accept .lua, .gwc, or .gwz files. 

(.gwz = Geocaching Wherigo (Source) Zipped)

(.gwc = Geocaching Wherigo Cartridge/Compiled)

Edited by Hügh
  • Helpful 1
11 hours ago, Hügh said:

...but if you're comfortable with coding, perhaps just edit the relevant parts? Then, place the Lua code in a zip file, and upload that to the Wherigo website. 

You can also use Webwigo, the web emulator, to test your modified cartridge. It should accept .lua, .gwc, or .gwz files. 

Ohh that seems promising!!! Thanks for pointing me in that direction :)

On 4/18/2021 at 10:00 AM, Hügh said:

Hey - I just wanted to come back and say thanks again. I've got it working. Wahoo :) Appreciate the help.