Edit tracking number

CloOtisTheo

Hi all

I have a few travel bugs out there which have been lost during play (don’t you wish people would only take them if they knew what they were doing with them!!!)

I know it’s possible to physically replace a trackable but for the life of me can I remover how or find a matching topic on it. 

So far I have:

- purchased two replacement trackables

- activated them

- grabbed the lost ones I wish to administrate the replacements on 

I think I need the original trackable to now have the tracking code that is on the new trackable in hand, how though do I do that?  The “edit your trackable” edits the description text not any tracking details.  

Thanks in advance ?

Clo

Not positive what you're saying, but you can't "replace" your trackable with another code. It's a whole new thing.  

You can reuse those older trackables codes on other items.  That item is usually called a "proxy", a replacement of whatever it was.

Most we know use them on something they carry with them (backpack, hiking stick...use your imagination ;-).

Your old trackable's code is always shown on it's page.  It's right above "actions", and it does say tracking "number" (in error) instead of code

Everything you might need to know about Trackables.    :)

Typically, if you're reviving a lost Trackable, you may make a Grab log, but you re-use the original Tracking Code, by inscribing it on a blank tag or other item.  You should include photos of the new version, and info, to reduce confusion if the original one turns up.  The Tracking Code is shown to you, on each page of Trackables you own.

If instead, you're releasing a new Trackable as kind of a tribute to a lost one, maybe copy the text from the original (add something about the lost one if you like), and let the new one travel.  Or keep it, and log visits when you find caches.

Thanks all for your help.   I’m confused because I know for sure I have released one of mine back out by reviving it from lost.   Maybe I requested the tracking number was customised.  I honestly can’t remember 

so my options are?:

- make a proxy with the original tracking numbers on 

- override the tracking numbers on the tags with a man made sticker of the original tracking code.  

As a matter of interest, why would GC.com not allow this field to be edited ?  It would help so many thousands of TB’s become re-active and maintain their mileage.    What’s the cons to this being amended?

Thanks for your help!

Claire

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
3 hours ago, CloOtisTheo said:

- override the tracking numbers on the tags with a man made sticker of the original tracking code.  

You paid for the first tracking code.

You paid for the second tracking code again while the first one is still working.

The material cost of the badge is almost nothing. You only pay for the codes (and you pay too much but that's another topic).

Now you want to overwrite the second working code (which you would never use in this case) with the old working code? Just to reuse an old listing? That doesn't make any sense to me.

I would suggest to ...

1) ... use the new bought trackable for a new traveller. If you buy two codes you should have two icons moving.

2) ... use the old code on something new and release the new object as replacement for the old one.

3) ... be happy as you'll recieve more logs as you have two items now.

Best wishes

Jochen

Edited by frostengel
typo
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, CloOtisTheo said:

Thanks all for your help.   I’m confused because I know for sure I have released one of mine back out by reviving it from lost.   Maybe I requested the tracking number was customised.  I honestly can’t remember 

so my options are?:

As a matter of interest, why would GC.com not allow this field to be edited ?  It would help so many thousands of TB’s become re-active and maintain their mileage.    What’s the cons to this being amended?

Thanks for your help!

Claire

Did you use a TB Copy Tag last time?  That’s a simple way to revive a lost TB, because it’s a durable tag with the Tracking Code on it.  

You can write or etch the Tracking Code onto most any object if you don’t have an extra tag.  Or, yes, make or buy a decal.  

For a few of my coins and TBs that vanished, I’m still deciding what I want to do.  Some of mine have turned up after months or years, so I don’t want a copy traveling if it will cause confusion when the original one appears.

As mentioned, the thing that defines any Trackable Item is its Tracking Code, which always stays the same.  You can make a TB tribute to the original one, but with a new Tracking Code, it will be a different Trackable in play.  You will have two listings.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
8 hours ago, CloOtisTheo said:

I’m confused because I know for sure I have released one of mine back out by reviving it from lost.  

Maybe I requested the tracking number was customised.  I honestly can’t remember 

so my options are?:

Customized tracking numbers are rare,  and seems it might be a Lackey perk.

It sounds (to me) that you simply sent out your "copy" tag (in a set of 2, with the same code) when the first one went missing.

I feel there's something about the codes, or trackables in general that's confusing you.

I believe that you're wanting HQ to solve a problem that doesn't exist.     :) 

• Helpful 2

Thanks all. I have now been able to do what I intended by getting copy trackables printed with the original code.  

these TBs are valuable to me as they relate to my dog who passed away recently.  I want them in circulation and have his story out in the world, not lost somewhere. So it was worth the hassle.