Release Notes (Geocaching® app for Android updates) - April 12, 2021

Release Notes (Geocaching® app for Android updates) - April 12, 2021

With this release, we have made a significant change to the main navigation model in the Android app. 

Previously, we stored all navigation elements in the drawer. Now, those same navigation elements are moved front and center, and we introduced a bottom navigation model which provides access to the bottom navigation controls from any view in the app. 

Q3L2uUBQ_B1RuTqDS1HeNPgSTp_aX4dUTqiZDndF

In the header of the app, we have updated the control to access filters. This control is now presented in two states. The first state, shown immediately below, is displayed when filters are in their default state, and the user has not made any changes or edits to the filters.

syrj7zb8KeTRiotyuBZtRyaqkxZADRRIQMq7OubI

The second state, shown below, is displayed when the player has made changes to the filters, and serves as a reminder that filters have changed.

GnIF4gQYjSWt7QqAlHER7TRzJNw7aC3UhFY1tO5z

Additionally, parts of the app are refreshed for a cleaner look, and we made map updates for improved performance.

We would also like to call out a technical note. With this release, we are dropping support for Android OS 4.4 (KitKat). Moving forward, new releases are available only for Android OS version 5.0 (Lollypop) and higher.

Brendan (brendanjw) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Can messages show a date/timestamp? Because now I can only see "Today" which doesn't tell me I'm on time with response to a question or if I'm already a hour late.
  • Attributes are missing when using a offline list (was also a issue in the old app)
  • I have to download the offline list multiple times because I keep getting errors (I know of other people with the same issues on their phones)
  • Offline lists should be offline:
    • If I'm somewhere remote where there is only 1G or Edge the app will still try to update a cache description
    • Last couple of weekends there have been some server issues. I would like to stay logged in with my offline list saved instead of getting logged out and my offline data erased
  • Do locked TB's show that they are locked? Like with the perseverance TB and people "logging it" because the app didn't show it was locked?
  • Lists are still sorted by last edit

The app now shows the correct number of souvenirs. The old app showed 1 souvenir extra for me for a very long time no matter what I did.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

Previously when opening coord.info links, like this https://coord.info/GC97GZZ they would open in the app. Why have you removed support for this?

Coord.info is no longer a supported link for the app (see image)

Screenshot_20210413-054045_Settings.jpg

• Upvote 4
9 hours ago, Olet said:

Previously when opening coord.info links, like this https://coord.info/GC97GZZ they would open in the app. Why have you removed support for this?

Screenshot_20210413-054045_Settings.jpg

Agree with this comment - coord.info links should be handled by the app!

• Upvote 4
10 hours ago, Olet said:

I'm hoping it's just a glitch.  I use this feature so often on my app. HQ, will this be fixed?

• Upvote 3
11 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm hoping it's just a glitch.  I use this feature so often on my app. HQ, will this be fixed?

Hi @Max and 99 - Thank you for your feedback with regards to coords.info links not opening in the the app.  I have brought this issue to the team and we will investigate what is happening.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 4

A nit, but how about some consistency? On the Filter page, tapping Wonders of the World, Type, or Size all work the same: They display a list of check boxes, and include a Deselect All command and an X to close and go back to the Filter page.

But tapping Attribute displays a list of check boxes -- and the similarity ends. There are buttons for reset (which uses the icon commonly used for refresh), OK (which accepts your changes and goes back to the Filter page), and back (which is, in effect, a cancel button).

I'm liking most of the changes. Keep 'em coming!

• Upvote 1

I just downloaded the new version of the app.

I do like the visible difference for filters on or off - easy to tell at a glance if any filters are set.

I will add my voice to the request to have coord.info URLs open in the app! Yes, please!

I also noticed that my "New Souvenir" yellow dot is back.  

Two other bugs to work on as well. (Or changes to revert, if these were deliberate.)

- GPS accuracy no longer appears on the map screen when navigating to a cache. It's still on the compass screen.

- When using the compass to navigate, it appears to only navigate to the published coordinates for a cache, even if you have picked a different waypoint to navigate.

I posted these in the app forum, but I suppose this thread is getting more attention, so adding here.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Two other bugs to work on as well. (Or changes to revert, if these were deliberate.)

- GPS accuracy no longer appears on the map screen when navigating to a cache. It's still on the compass screen.

- When using the compass to navigate, it appears to only navigate to the published coordinates for a cache, even if you have picked a different waypoint to navigate.

I posted these in the app forum, but I suppose this thread is getting more attention, so adding here.

Screen shots:

1. Map screen, no longer showing GPS accuracy. Also, note that I am navigating to the parking waypoint, which is at N 38 50.322 W 77 19.525.

Screenshot_20210414-180151_Geocaching.thumb.jpg.d7ddd605129f1e12a21ff3ec3f783e22.jpg

2. Compass screen, showing that the compass is taking me to coordinates other than the parking waypoint. Those are the posted coordinates for this cache, GC42W1B.

Screenshot_20210414-180202_Geocaching.thumb.jpg.d352d33c0aa3c3ceef5e7de4e5e60198.jpg

• Helpful 2
On 4/14/2021 at 11:09 PM, imagreenplant said:

Hello @Max & 99,  @CAVinoGal , and others!

We are working on a fix for the "coords.info links not opening in the the app".  We hope to have a fix out for this in the next build, scheduled for deployment late next week.  Stay tuned and thanks for your vigilance!

Thanks for addressing this. Really miss this feature so hope it's back asap.

Like the new layout, filters & AdLab addition.

For some reason there are 2 version of the same lists since a couple of weeks when you temporarily creating a PQ from the list for the GPS.
I just want to create a PQ from the list for use on the GPS. After that I want to remove the PQ and download the offline list as a backup/easier read when needed.

1. Create a list and add some caches
  2. Create a PQ from the list
  3. You now find the list 2x in the app (list + PQ)
  4. Download the PQ for use in the GPS from https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/
  5. Delete the PQ from the download tab.
  6. No matter what you do the second list won't disappear.
    • This wasn't the case in the past, only 1 list would remain
    • Refreshing the lists wont remove the 2nd list
    • Logging out and back in also won't remove the 2nd list
  7. And as usual I have to retry downloading the offline list several times before it works

Screenshot_20210416_151748_com.groundspeak.geocaching.intro.thumb.jpg.5ddb1bd772038b557d7910e336d4bd7a.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just tried the updated App today. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a good experience!

My husband and I have the same make and model phones (4G). We use the same carrier (one of the Big Three). The android system is version 7.1.2. And we were caching in a moderate sized town in South Carolina. So we were in an area with cell/GPS reception.

My phone kept jumping to the middle of the Atlantic OCEAN!!! And stating that I was about 5740 MILES from the cache! This happened frequently- every time I plugged the phone into a charger, unplugged from a charger, stepped out of the car, spun in a circle- well you get the idea. We did find that if I exited the cache and went back into it, I was back in South Carolina. 

My husband's phone consistently showed him about .5 miles from his actual location. And was freezing up about every 15- 20 minutes. By this I mean that we would drive from one shopping center to another, but his phone would still show him at the old parking lot. 

And while the 'old App' sucked down our batteries, today the 'New App' seemed to have a bigger straw! 

Please tell me that there will be a fix coming SOON!  Thank you.

KIMG0146.JPG

Hello,

This is the first time I post on this forum.

I agree with wagtag15 on the issue. Me too, when I launch navigation to a cache, once in two times the application tells me a distance from the Atlantic Ocean. I need to quit and then come back to the cache page.

But I want to report another problem that I have had for a long time, and that this new version has not solved.
I no longer get instant notifications when receiving a message, which is a shame when a player asks me for help.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks and sorry for the automatic translation

• Love 1

Distance to the geocache doesn't change when you are moving towards a cache in map-modus. This bug came after the update 12th of april. Its the same in ONLINE and OFFLINE mode.

I have sent a request to support to fix it, but the feedback doesnt give any hope of a quick fix. Trying this link in hope to get it prioritized :-)

Bilde 1_LI.jpg

Bilde 2_LI.jpg

Bilde 3_LI.jpg

Edited by Tistone
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Tistone said:

Distance to the geocache doesn't change when you are moving towards a cache in map-modus. This bug came after the update 12th of april. Its the same in ONLINE and OFFLINE mode.

I have sent a request to support to fix it, but the feedback doesnt give any hope of a quick fix. Trying this link in hope to get it prioritized :-)

Bilde 1_LI.jpg

Bilde 2_LI.jpg

Bilde 3_LI.jpg

I too would like to see this fixed.

When I click on another cacher's profile, then "all geocache finds" I used to see a  list based on date. Useful if I wanted to see if friends have found a newly released series, for example.

I now see a list based on geographical location, starting with nearest to me.

Why?!  

IMG_20210421_212649.jpg

IMG_20210421_212742.jpg

13 minutes ago, Beechtrees said:

When I click on another cacher's profile, then "all geocache finds" I used to see a  list based on date. Useful if I wanted to see if friends have found a newly released series, for example.

Why?!  

IMG_20210421_212649.jpg

IMG_20210421_212742.jpg

Aha. I've discovered that you can change/sort eg to date found, but very long winded.

Sorry, but I much preferred the older method.

Enjoying some of other features though, esp the easy to locate lists, messages tabs etc. 

• Surprised 1
43 minutes ago, Beechtrees said:

Why?!  

See:

Edited by thebruce0

Here's another newly-introduced bug. I'd disabled a cache while I carried out some maintenance, today I put it back into play and went to post an Enable log through the app, which I used to be able to do, but now the only options for a disabled cache are Owner Maintenance, Write Note or Temporarily Disabled.

DisabledCache.jpg.dea841b6b453d8b963cbb093f513d909.jpg

I'm not sure what the use case is for logging a TD on a cache that's already disabled, but I guess someone thinks there is.

I suppose it's not a deal-breaker to have to wait until I get home to enable the cache, but it's just a bit annoying as it was something that used to work.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 4/22/2021 at 11:35 PM, barefootjeff said:

I suppose it's not a deal-breaker to have to wait until I get home to enable the cache, but it's just a bit annoying as it was something that used to work.

You have the option to view the cache in your browser, and can enable it from there, as a temporary fix. But I agree that this should come back to the app.

It seems that adding adventure labs broke a lot of things.

• Upvote 1