Message center bug?

FamilieFrohne

Starting on April 12th, I am no longer able to press the Enter key to feed a new line in the Message Center function.   I send complex messages that require hitting the Enter key to start a new line of text.   I noticed for the first time a check box "Press enter to send" that's next to the SEND button.  Even unchecking the box still sends one line of text.  The screen also jerks down a couple of inches when pressing the Enter key or the Send. 

A recent example: 

Andy,

I should have given you more information rather than just give you the numbers. My data though is incomplete. Google FCC Region map. You will see the US divided up into regions numbered 0-8. For the life of me I can't find the map for Canada which is IC instead of FCC.

The alpha codes are abbreviations for US states or parts of states, Canadian, or I just don't remember.

WCF - 4 - I don't have a clue. Doesn't match US or Canada abbreviations. I thought it might be West Central Florida which works but that is a stretch.
EWA - 7 - Eastern Washington
SNJ - 2 - South New Jersey
CO - 0 - Colorado
WV - 8 - West Virginia
STX - 5 South Texas
EMA - 1 Eastern Massachusetts

Now, I cannot send anything beyond ........ Andy,

I have Firefox but it also happens in Chrome.   I am in contact with a Lackey and it is not happening to him but it is with other Geocachers. 

Edited by frisbee'r
text correction
  • Funny 1

I also have this behavior now. It is very annoying :-( .     The checkbox "Press enter to send" has no function. It switches to active on every "enter" or "shift enter" and the text is sent out.

Only way to circumvent this is to create the message in editor and paste it to message center.    Please check for the BUG

To anyone experiencing this: Does "SHIFT + ENTER" work?

That's the windows key combo for other similar functions.

For example, MS Teams's normal chat behavior is to Send on Enter, but SHIFT+ENTER just gives you a Line Feed.

For another example, in MS Word, you can stick a paragraph split into a bulleted list without another bullet by using SHIFT+ENTER.

Feel free to test with a msg to me.

Might work; all these things manipulate many levels of standard programmed control behaviors which may be in conflict with each other, so maybe ....

If it works, then there's a workaround until it's repaired.

• Surprised 1

Same problem here... I can uncheck the 'press enter to send' as often as I want... the check returns :/. 
Tried to solve it by deleting cookies and using different browsers... logging out and back in... nothing works. 
These checks:
  Xnip2021-04-16_08-43-36.png.13c6db361f0700087c684c0b906f806d.png
can't be removed either... 

Hope this will be fixed soon!! 

• Upvote 1

Argh!

I thought I was just being dense while sending Earthcache answers. I always put the answers on separate lines. Shift-Enter isn't a workaround on my iPhone. it's good (but bad) to see it is a bug. 

With further research, the box doesn't do anything on my Mac desktop using Chrome as the browser. Shift-enter doesn't work there either.

I was just sending some earthcache answers and the CO must be going nuts from all the alerts he will get from me because of this bug.

Shift+enter doesn't work. Unchecking "press enter to send" doesn't help either

Please fix this.

Edited by reybr
  • Helpful 1

The Message composing screen definitely defaults to "Press enter to send".  This is a terrible change!  I have sent about a dozen messages now that are just the greeting, since it sends when I hit Enter after the salutation.  I've ended up composing messages in a text editor and then pasting them into the Message box.  PLEASE change it back to not defaulted!

Thanks!
Seawind

• Helpful 1

This happened to me today as well.  I sent numerous, partial messages to a CO because I didn't realise that pressing carriage return would automatically send the message.  Once I realised, I still forgot that pressing enter sent my message so the CO received a number of one sentence messages before I had finished..  This was despite the fact that I had unticked the "press enter to send".  It drove me nearly mad and I am sure made the CO wonder if I knew what I was doing.  I hope this can be sorted out.  It should be enough to just untick the box once.

• Helpful 1

I'm using Firefox and cannot duplicate the issue. I know, everyone else can! The box is unclicked. I TRIED to get the message to be sent by clicking the Enter/Return key, but it only went to the next line.

I have been getting a lot of:

Hello Max and 99...

Hello Max and 99...

Hello Max and 99...

Edited by Max and 99

We've been having this same problem for a few days now, too.  The problem occurs on multiple computers, with multiple browsers, and is a new problem as of a few days ago. 

Came here tonight to see if it is a known bug, which apparently it is.

Just adding our request to please fix this to the dozens of other people that have reported the same problem, too!

This bug was reported nearly two weeks ago and the problem still persists. It is happening to me on multiple devices. I have EarthCache answers that I need to respond to. I just sent five separate messages to one person by accident and unchecking the press enter box serves no purpose. Please please please fix this bug!

• Upvote 5

Same here, and let's hope the SUPER annoying bug gets fixed and fixed FAST.  I have my doubts though, since so many other annoying things never seem to get addressed.  For example having to sign into forums when already signed into site.  Mobile Adventure Lab app that sucks the phone battery.

I just got a message from another geocacher clearly affected by this bug. Or rather, I got an email notification that the geocacher sent me a new message with only "Hi" and my name. I can see the yellow blob on the message center icon, but if I go in there I don't see that geocacher at the top as I would expect. I scroll down many pages, and there it is, with a yellow blob on that too, but the communication there does not include the new message. Not even the first part that was apparently sent in error. I have updated several times and waited for quite some time.

I find it strange that developer resources are wasted on changing the message center icon while bugs like this are allowed to remain for weeks. Or maybe it isn't considered a bug? I see no acknowledgement above.

• Upvote 1

After some time I got a full message from the other geocacher, including that first line but with more text after it clearly separated into paragraphs. I don't know if that means he realized what happened and pasted the test into the box instead of typing it. Not even sure how one notices this as a sender, I responded and hit enter several times as I did. Maybe I sent a whole bunch of messages? It would be very appreciated with some kind of acknowledgement of this bug and whether or not it has been fixed.

This annoying problem seems to affect different users at random.

It occurs on various platforms including my Samsung Note 8 running Chrome and my Apple Notebook also running Chrome.

Can we have some acknowledgement that it is being worked on - it is a very  very tedious bug.

Mike

• Upvote 1