How many caches have you hidden in total?

Geoppi54

I have hidden 12, 1 now archived (it was archived because one of the guys that lives near it didn't like the cache so he made his own account so he could find them and contacted HQ and claimed it was his land so it he could have it archived, I have heard he also did it to a few other caches), and 2 unpublished (if you count those caches I have 14). One of them is an earth cache the others are all traditional caches.

• Helpful 1

312 total (this includes 2 adventure labs, counted as 10  caches)

105 active (this does not include the AL), ages between 18 years and 6 months.

I had planned to pull and archive 4 today, but got rained out. I'll get those out sometime in the next month or so. Likely will pull 3 paddle caches next time I'm up that way. 

Pre-Covid, I had plans for more paddle cache placements. Didn't get that done. Now not so sure about doing it at all.

• Surprised 1

In my eight years of caching I've hidden 49 caches, 8 of which I've since archived, plus I've adopted another 3 and have hosted 3 events. So right now I have 44 active hides, made up of 15 traditionals, 17 multis, 11 mysteries (including 2 challenge caches and 2 AL bonus caches) and 1 earthcache. I've also created 2 Adventure Labs but my profile page insists I've made 10 of those.

Edited by barefootjeff

21, but 2 are archived, so I have 19 active caches. I only publish the numbers that I am prepared to regularly check for maintenance, and to check the log was signed.

Unfortunately some people publish a lot of caches, but aren't prepared to put in the maintenance. Some people's idea of maintenance, when a problem occurs, leave the cache as litter and archive. Numbers don't mean everything.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Hynz said:

What exactly is the point of this thread? :unsure:

Compairing numbers as always - the more the better!? Who is the "better" hider?

It is not about the numbers but about many other factors. I "only" have hidden 37 caches in 12 years (plus events which I don't count). My current goal is to hide one (in numbers: 1) cache per year so even less then before. My latest mystery cache took me more than 100 hours of creating and in this time I could have thrown out 100 simple traditionals.

So please do not look for the pure numbers if you want to "judge" others. I don't want to compare my overall effort in cache hiding to someone with several 100 hides. And I know that there are great cache owners who created one cache that took them years to build - I don't want to compare with them either.

It is not about the numbers but about if you (!) like the caches. And that's subjective, of course, so I don't want to talk about cache quality here (*). :-)

Jochen

(*) Mine are the best, of course! :-)

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Love 1

I have hidden 21 caches. Two have been archived, so 19 active ones. One was archived because it kept going missing (I suspect birds) and it was a boring cache, so easy to archive. The other was archived when a load of garbage was dumped on top. Needing a shovel to find my cache in that shi.. was too much :wacko:. Archive!

I keep thinking of interesting places to place caches, but I do maintain my caches, but not prepared to put more time into this, so I have enough. Though, anyone reading this, Canberra 'needs' a Tram Sidetracked cache :grin:. All Saints could do with a Really Sidetracked as well :laughing:. It would follow on from the Rookwood ones in Sydney .

Edited by Goldenwattle

As for striking up a conversation, I think it's more interesting how many active caches you have. It'll depend greatly on the popularity and the CO's amount of leisure time, and in my case, it turns out that it gets uncomfortable at around 50 active caches. Below that, I seem to be able to resolve any issues within a couple of days, which seems reasonable to me.

• Upvote 3

I think an interesting related question is the distribution of the placed caches, and why.

I have placed 240, 79 archived. But what I find important is where my peak is: D2T3, with most caches around that, with a considerable number at T3.5 and T4.

Why? Because that is what I consider the "sweet spot", caches that are not super easy but not too hard, managable for most people but a bit challenging. I don't care much for the highest D, nor T5, and it is pretty obvius that I don't make many 1.5/1.5's.

This is my take on making caches. Many multis, often free climbing in trees. It is what I feel I want to do. But we are all different so how about you?

Skärmavbild 2021-07-14 kl. 09.06.14.png

1 hour ago, Ragnemalm said:

I think an interesting related question is the distribution of the placed caches, and why.

I have placed 240, 79 archived. But what I find important is where my peak is: D2T3, with most caches around that, with a considerable number at T3.5 and T4.

Why? Because that is what I consider the "sweet spot", caches that are not super easy but not too hard, managable for most people but a bit challenging. I don't care much for the highest D, nor T5, and it is pretty obvius that I don't make many 1.5/1.5's.

This is my take on making caches. Many multis, often free climbing in trees. It is what I feel I want to do. But we are all different so how about you?

Mine also peaks at 2/3, although I haven't hidden anywhere near as many as you:

image.png.928909af51c6b221996aa46dc9177f01.png

The three T5s are water access caches, there being lots of nice waterways for kayaking here. The one and only 1.5/1.5 was my very first cache (GC4CAXV) and the 1/1 was an event.

One of my friends, who's a lot younger and more agile than me, reckons his sweet spot is 2/4 and even created a challenge cache (GC6QQPE) based on that, but his hides grid doesn't quite bear that out:

image.png.b719bd7af4390ca5d1be2fd384b60ec2.png

As you can see, neither of us are into creating difficult puzzles.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

Mine also peaks at 2/3, although I haven't hidden anywhere near as many as you:

The three T5s are water access caches, there being lots of nice waterways for kayaking here. The one and only 1.5/1.5 was my very first cache (GC4CAXV) and the 1/1 was an event.

As you can see, neither of us are into creating difficult puzzles.

Nice! It looks like we share the idea of the "sweet spot" in the middle.

My first was also a 1.5/1.5. It is the natural place to start, but I left it pretty soon.

My D1T5 was a tree climbing cache where you needed gear, but it was visible from 100 meters! I was kind of proud of that. That is a D1!

Several of my 4.5's and one T5 are over water. 4.5's are easy enough to swim.

I have no idea. I did realize recently that I have a traditional that's been hidden, and never gone missing for 10 years. In a village. It never gotten a favourite point, but it's got something to see that most people don't get to see, and it just keeps on going.

• Helpful 1

D/T combos, types of hides, and sizes of hides.

I adopted 14 that were placed before I started hiding my own and 5 (plus a couple that have since been archived) more that were placed while I was hiding.  19 active adopted caches of the 87 I currently have active. Looks like I'm all over the place on my D/T grid and all over the place with type and size.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

On 7/14/2021 at 2:51 PM, coachstahly said:

D/T combos, types of hides, and sizes of hides.

I adopted 14 that were placed before I started hiding my own and 5 (plus a couple that have since been archived) more that were placed while I was hiding.  19 active adopted caches of the 87 I currently have active. Looks like I'm all over the place on my D/T grid and all over the place with type and size.

Interesting distribution, which fits well in that you clearly prefer to make caches with a mental challenge, right? "Sweet spot" around D3T2 instead of my D2T3. Sound good, different because we have a different preference and that is a good thing.