Is there any easy way to see which Adventure Labs can be done without going into buildings?

jaysonC

Hello folks, I'm looking forward to trying some ALs as part of the upcoming event, but obviously I have COVID restrictions to keep in mind. I know they differ from place to place, but basically I wanted to know if there was an easy way to determine if ALs were doable entirely outside or if they require entering, beyond the cache owner stating it explicitly. I don't want to go barking up the wrong tree looking for a cache when I won't be able to access it in the end. 

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Love 1

I'm surprised ALs (the psuedo-Virtual variety, not the only temporary but official event caches) are allowed inside buildings. Not because of the pandemic, but because being instead takes away the GPS component. Non-AL caches must have a GPS element outside that contains information directing the seeker somewhere inside, but in an AL every stage has a GPS component. 

6 minutes ago, JL_HSTRE said:

I'm surprised ALs (the psuedo-Virtual variety, not the only temporary but official event caches) are allowed inside buildings. Not because of the pandemic, but because being instead takes away the GPS component. Non-AL caches must have a GPS element outside that contains information directing the seeker somewhere inside, but in an AL every stage has a GPS component. 

There is one near me that has not been well received by the owners of the business. 

• Surprised 1
11 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

The location service of a smartphone not only relies on GPS. It can use other means to get (less exact) location data, e.g. from a WiFi or from the phone network "cells". My own AL is mainly indoor, and I have set the geofence of the indoor stages to 1000 meters. This worked perfectly.

The AL guidelines don't say anything about GPS usage. They just require that the player is "on location". If non-GPS means to get that location work well enough to satisfy the geofence, then all is fine ;) .

• Helpful 1