Get rid of the lock log option

Max and 99

I can't imagine that this feature is used often, and for what purpose. I didn't even know it existed until someone asked me why I locked their log and I didn't know what they were talking about. I went to the log and saw a green padlock, clicked it, and then he was able to edit his log. So I must have just accidentally touched it. How often is this feature even used? 

• Upvote 1

This feature is quite important when there is a logging dispute, the logger is right and the CO is wrong.  Geocaching HQ can lock the log to keep it from being deleted.

This feature is quite important for Reviewers.  It keeps important Reviewer notes from being deleted by Cache Owners.

• Helpful 1
5 minutes ago, Keystone said:

This feature is quite important when there is a logging dispute, the logger is right and the CO is wrong.  Geocaching HQ can lock the log to keep it from being deleted.

This feature is quite important for Reviewers.  It keeps important Reviewer notes from being deleted by Cache Owners.

I feel like we're talking apples and oranges.

When I hover over that lock, it says "permanently encrypt" and not "lock."

If a cacher puts spoilers in their log, you as a CO can encrypt it.

A valuable feature - albeit less so now with the easy decryption tools available.

EDIT: Just because a feature isn't used often is not a reason to take up resources to remove it. One accidental, "oopie, I must have accidentally encrypted your log" is not a reason to take it away from everyone. :)

Edited by TriciaG
  • Helpful 2

I'm not talking about encrypting a log. I'm talking about locking a log. I didn't realize I had accidentally used this feature until someone asked me WHY I had locked their log, and told me they could not edit it because I had locked it.

If the feature is indeed ONLY for permanently encrypting, then that's completely different than my original post. I was told by the person who was trying to edit their log that they could not since I had "locked it". Once I investigated and saw the green padlock, they were able to edit their log.

So were they wrong?

Apologies if what I was told is incorrect. 

I'm confused! 

Even if the feature is for permanently encrypting, does that mean that once I do it no one can edit their log? 

Edited by Max and 99
5 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm not talking about encrypting a log. I'm talking about locking a log. I didn't realize I had accidentally used this feature until someone asked me WHY I had locked their log, and told me they could not edit it because I had locked it.

If the feature is indeed ONLY for permanently encrypting, then that's completely different than my original post. I was told by the person who was trying to edit their log that they could not since I had "locked it". Once I investigated and saw the green padlock, they were able to edit their log.

Curious where you're seeing this. 

I see only the trashcan for delete, and a red padlock that says    "Permanently Encrypt".    Thanks.  :)

Just now, cerberus1 said:

Curious where you're seeing this. 

I see only the trashcan for delete, and a red padlock that says    "Permanently Encrypt".    Thanks.  :)

I'm not seeing it, I was told that by someone when I didn't realize I had locked their log. My edited post above might explain.

24 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

When I hover over that lock, it says "permanently encrypt" and not "lock."

If a cacher puts spoilers in their log, you as a CO can encrypt it.

A valuable feature - albeit less so now with the easy decryption tools available.

We never used the encrypt feature after asking others about it at an event.

Turns out most said, if they see a cache log encrypted, they're drawn to it.   Kinda defeats the intended purpose...   :)

• Funny 2