Most finds in a day

Feros Family

As far as I have ever known Geo Dee from TX has the most finds in any given day. 6 April 03

58 finds about 6 no-finds.

I was driving, Jogps was navagating, Geo Dee was trying to find caches.

Great Job Geo Dee

[This message was edited by Feros Family on April 06, 2003 at 08:28 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

Sounds like a lot of work.

How many in one day for one person ?

Not with a driver and or navigator, just a single person doing all the driving and finding.

How many miles and hours ?

logscaler.

Last weekend I went up to Bellingham...well just up to the Lake Padden area. My first cache was in Mount Vernon and I hit a few all the way up to Padden. Got the four caches there and went home along Chuckanut drive to hit a few more. To sum it up, 10 am to 930 pm. 11.5 hours and 15 of 16 caches. Lot of those were hikes. Yet again, i couldn't find a rest stop cache. It is a lot of work.

Weinerdog got 23 in one day last week...don't know how she does it. This wasn't Bremerton either...Bothell/Woodenville to Duvall...south/west Redmond and all the way down to Kent for a couple down there before our meeting which I missed due to my adventure at a locacl cache down there.

Though the final number isn't in yet, DAGGY from Sellersburg, IN completed 75 caches on June 14, 2003 in Nashville, TN. With direction from JOGPS and with husband DEERMARK behind the wheel, she completed the job in 16 hours which included driving from Sellersburg, IN and stopping for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The list was carefully selected strictly for speed caching and it went extremely well. Eliminate the long drive and the stops and, yes, 100 is possible. My crystal ball says you will see it soon.

There are a couple fellows from the San Franscisco Bay area of California who have had two big days thus far. One day was 51 finds, and the other was 74 finds.

There were three (I think) of them along for the 74 day, and they seemed to have everything planned out down to the wire.

I am not quite sure how an individual would accomplish that high of a number in one day though..yikes!

Jaimee

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

Wooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo 115 caches in one VERY LONG day there were 104 caches where they all signed the log books and 11 virtuals . This was quite an experience the second we arrived at a caches site before the geovan even stopped they would be out running to the cache to see who could find it first, all except one time where the van was left out of gear and with me in the back seat it kept on trucking .

We did not split up or anything like that they went to every site together, I stayed in the van 80% of the time and they asked for no hints. The only time I got out was to take a smoke or take a lxxk

They found less than 30 1 / 1 rated caches the secrete was the cache density ( zip 37219 ) we did the north side of town and only went downtown at 11:00 that night to do a mutli-stage and some virtuals and ended up at the Bi-Centennial Mall ( there was a cache there ) and listen to the bells at midnight to finish up our fantastic day of caching, they found their first cache at 6:15 that morning. There was also 4 no finds.

Lynn aka CCCooper, Lucy aka SBUX and Patrick aka Paddy Yenar thanks for the truly wonderful day we spent together Ya ll had me laughing all day Looooooooooooong.

JOE

Who is "they"?

quote:
Originally posted by JoGPS:

Wooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo 115 caches in one VERY LONG day there were 104 caches where they all signed the log books and 11 virtuals . This was quite an experience the second we arrived at a caches site before the geovan even stopped they would be out running to the cache to see who could find it first, all except one time where the van was left out of gear and with me in the back seat it kept on trucking .

We did not split up or anything like that they went to every site together, I stayed in the van 80% of the time and they asked for no hints. The only time I got out was to take a smoke or take a lxxk

They found less than 30 1 / 1 rated caches the secrete was the cache density ( zip 37219 ) we did the north side of town and only went downtown at 11:00 that night to do a mutli-stage and some virtuals and ended up at the Bi-Centennial Mall ( there was a cache there ) and listen to the bells at midnight to finish up our fantastic day of caching, they found their first cache at 6:15 that morning. There was also 4 no finds.

Lynn aka CCCooper, Lucy aka SBUX and Patrick aka Paddy Yenar thanks for the truly wonderful day we spent together Ya ll had me laughing all day Looooooooooooong.

JOE

There's nothing magic about Nashville, although it does have a good cache density. (See my post in a related thread from a few days ago.) In one five mile radius there are 100-odd caches. If my memory serves in Memphis the hottest spot was approximately Shelby Farms with just over half that. The numbers may have changed since I studied/visited Memphis, but it gives you a starting point of reference.

Nashville does have some really great caches in addition to the "drive-by"s.

But in terms of day trips, the Memphis-Nashville connection is hard to pass up.

I have split off days which are Thur/Sun if your in the Nashville area I'll be glad to navigate a tour of some of our caches. We have 1s on up to 5s in the metro area alone. So if your traveling thru Nashville and can't get hold of Joe and need a guide just yell. And I would like to get hold of someone in Atlanta or Louisville for some of the same

On September 14th 2003, The Gorilla Freedom Finders took a run at this one. I got 72 in an 18 hour period, but better than that FullCt got 238 staring at midnight and caching until 10:00 PM, taking off time to watch the Indy-Titans game and eat. All finds were in Nashville and the surrounding area. We used 42 gallons of gas and travelled over 400 miles. It rained like crazy from 2 AM to 6 AM which slowed us down some. So there it is

FullCt 238 in one day.

You gotta be kidding me! 238? That's outrageous!

quote:
Originally posted by Monkeybrad:

On September 14th 2003, The Gorilla Freedom Finders took a run at this one. I got 72 in an 18 hour period, but better than that FullCt got 238 staring at midnight and caching until 10:00 PM, taking off time to watch the Indy-Titans game and eat. All finds were in Nashville and the surrounding area. We used 42 gallons of gas and travelled over 400 miles. It rained like crazy from 2 AM to 6 AM which slowed us down some. So there it is

FullCt 238 in one day.

quote:
Originally posted by Monkeybrad:

FullCt 238 in one day.

I think I'm going to have to see the logs to believe that one. Can you post a list of the found caches?

If you cache for 20 hours (as stated above), and you find 238 caches in those 20 hours, that's one find every 5 minutes. That basically means there is no searching time. Only going directly to the cache and logging it. It's hard to believe someone did this without already knowing EXACTLY where the caches were hidden. I'd love to hear from FullCt about how they accomplished this.

quote:
Originally posted by Bartster:

If you cache for 20 hours (as stated above), and you find 238 caches in those 20 hours, that's one find every 5 minutes. That basically means there is no searching time. Only going directly to the cache and logging it. It's hard to believe someone did this without already knowing EXACTLY where the caches were hidden. I'd love to hear from FullCt about how they accomplished this.

I'm with Bartster on this...

Thats kinda unbeliveable. icon_rolleyes.gif On top of having to finding one every 5 minutes he says he traveled 400 miles thats at least 5 hours of driving alone 6-7 if he was in the city. I've been to Nashville twice and cached there. Sure there are alot more caches out there than in my area, but I only managed to hit 4-10 a day while caching for about 3-4 hours.

What probably happened is that he found the caches over time and just logged them all the same day. O don't know why someone would do that but who knows?!?

BTW... The most finds I have in a day I think is 17.

64784_1200.gifBeen there... Done that...

Looks like the secret to big daily numbers is cache density and virgin territory for the cacher. Personally I only occasionally venture away from my local area, but I make the trip count when I do. My personal best is 26 in one day and that was over 4 states. I even had time to stop off at Hooters for some wings. Before you get skeptical consider you can get from Louisiana to Florida on I-10 in 2 hours and 20 minutes. Just venture off the interstate a little and get started before daylight, go untill you drop and its easy. Sounds what a lot of other cachers did on this post. I also had a 16 day (plus the Magallan treasure find) and an 18 day once but they were all pretty close. together and I wasn't rushing.

Good job Sabaharr. That is the way I like to travel as well, but I never grabbed that many on a travel day.

To the others,

I guess it all depends on how long it takes you to find a 1/1 cache. Actually according to our records it was one cache every 4:42 seconds. Sounds like a lot but when you consider that there is one mall parking lot with 4 that you can retrieve in less than five minutes, your average time gets a big help. We also had five no finds that ate up at least ten minutes a piece. Sorry to get defensive but this took alot of planning and a marathon run to accomplish. Although FullCT lives in Nashville he tours almost constantly, so he had not hunted the Nashville area, so he had virgin territory that he knew really well. I was driving and i did not obey all of the posted traffic laws. I figured that as long as I did nothing dangerous we could afford the ticket. These caches were almost entirely urban, that means no hikes, just grab and go. I know the area well and took three evenings planning the route for maximum cache density. We printed stickers with our names and the date for logging purposes, we never split up. We carried food in the car and went to the bathroom at the cache site, if it was an absolute necessity.

I don't know what else to tell you. If you would like either come to Nashville and count signatures (little GFF stickers) yourselves, or ask a friend to do it. BTW when you count you will only find 207 stickers,since we did 31 virtuals as well. Like I said I was just navigating driving to the site and turning him loose. Did I mention I picked up 72 that night.

Thanks for the explanation MB. I wasn't meaning to be offensive, just a little skeptical. I was the same way when I once saw a post where CCCooper logged #3000!! Get out of town!! surprise.gif That's about 3 finds per day, everyday for three years, which is about how long the website has been online.

I guess it's all possible, just a little (okay, alot) hard to fathom at first blush. Jealousy plays a role too. I wish I had enough time to do more caching and have double (or triple) digit find days!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Keep up the 'caching dude! Keep us posted on more big number days!!

We'll do the same. icon_wink.gif

This is my dollars worth:

It’s time for a little history lesson I found my first cache in Nashville, TN at that time there were 8 local caches, so the journey begins, we went to Alabama found a few then it was off to Kentucky, we them shot off to Illinois and Indiana. We had the fever we took a two night stay over west, Memphis, and Arkansas, and Mississippi. That’s when I got my very first hate e-mail. We had found 18 caches in two days three states and no one could believe it we had to be cheating that’s all it was to it. And the last of my story almost 90 days after I started geocaching I took the entire Thanksgiving weekend and went to Atlanta, Georgia and found 35, boy was I the talk of the town. Also got my first milestone while there 100 caches found total in just under 90 days WOW was I happy.

Two years later who would have bet anyone could even find 100, or 200 caches in a day not me, but it’s a fact Jack it can be done.

I took a look at the Nashville area for zip 37219 and punched in a 25 mile radius and 545 cache caches came back of those 42 are virtuals, 21 Muti Stage / Offset , 1 web cam, and 8 members only. The rest regular caches. Of those at least 250 caches are less that 100 feet from where you can park. There is less than 10 caches where the hike is more than one mile round trip.

You want to ask yourself why aren’t there more Muti-satge or longer hikes centered around caches in this area. We have two very large size lakes in the area with lots and lots of islands but on have one cache that requires a boat. Why, Why, Why

My only answer is real simple, that people hide the type of caches they like to find. There are over 100 caches someone can find in a wheel chair. And we have cachers in wheel chairs, using canes, and crutches in our area.

This area has local geocaching group that is for the most part very close nit with 71 PAID members.

In an area like this who is to say that a year from now how many could a new person to the area find in a day 300, 400, 500 , who knows, not me all bets are off.

My hat is off to all those that have, and to the ones that try…………………….JOE

Thanks Bartster, ssorry for the defensive ness, but it took alot of planning and a lot of work. I will have to admit, we were not keeping count as we went and I had planned a route with over three hundred because originally this was going to be a two day run. When we finally stopped and were unloading gear the girls were doing the final count and when they told us how many I couldn't believe it. I asked them to recount twice, and still could not believe it. So I can see why it would be hard to believe. I was there and did not believe it at first. I do stand by my statement that i think 300 in a 24 hour period is very doable, if you get some one who is new to the territory.

If anyone wants to come to Nashville and try I'll do all I can to help them beat my buddy's record. I just want to see how many can be done if you really lose your mind and run as hard as possible for the full 24 hours.