Android geocaching, launch the application by clicking on the coord.info link

jy09

With the new version of the Geocaching application, we no longer have the "coord.info" urls in the links opened by the application.
So when clicking on such a link the application is not offered alone c: geo and chrome are

Do you have a solution ?

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, jy09 said:

With the new version of the Geocaching application, we no longer have the "coord.info" urls in the links opened by the application.
So when clicking on such a link the application is not offered alone c: geo and chrome are

Do you have a solution ?

Are you seeing these links within the Official Geocaching App?  I'm still getting coord.info links in my email notifications, maybe this is missing in certain notifications?

I'm offered The App in the list when I tap a coord.info link.

Trying it here as a test:

https://coord.info/GC8TJ1P

For App version comparison, here are my specs:

Version 8.42.0

Android 11

Samsung SM-T970

Edited by kunarion
12 hours ago, kunarion said:

What have you tried so far?

Logging out/in?  
Clearing App data?
Uninstall/reinstall?

No, I haven't tried all of this but for me it's not the application itself the problem, it's more on Android and the associations between the application and the type of url on which we click. ..

Thank you..

On 4/9/2021 at 12:40 PM, jy09 said:

Do you have a solution ?

I now have the same version as you and have confirmed I no longer have an option to open the link in the app. 

14 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

J'ai maintenant la même version que vous et j'ai confirmé que je n'avais plus la possibilité d'ouvrir le lien dans l'application. 

finally, others see the problem see my images above .. (thanks to the adventure labs) !

There is also another bug from the map view if we display the popup relating to a cache, the distance is not updated when approaching the coordinates (see red)

171310019_2937880206448539_3430497912635931461_n.jpg

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, jy09 said:

finally, others see the problem see my images above .. (thanks to the adventure labs) !

I downloaded the update just now (April 13) which became available to me today, and which Google Play says was "Updated April 9, 2021".  Menu icons have been moved all over the place.  Version 8.46.2.

So now I see no option to open a COORD.INFO link into The App.  So they should address that. 

But it does offer to load the cache info into "Locus For Geocaching".

One cool thing is the opening screen that used to say "Welcome to the Geocaching App... I'm Excited!"

Now it says, "Here's The New Update... I'm Apprehensive!"  B)

Confirming that coord.info links in email or otherwise do not open in the geocaching app, v.  (whatever the latest version is, I can't see it in the new version, ugh!) on my Android 10 Pixel phone.  Hubs mentioned the difficulty to me this morning, we compared versions and I had 8.42; I updated to 8.46, now my info screen shows: 

BzBTEK6ohaI_r4NwopHfLbAxdR55gez9qk_fowax5xnRkVDoadTDFVZiCtESwbYt7VwDy5AcciuR5bgAoJUTwbRbn5eoG_i4gR8uOTtKa0TPvepxxruEkZyr1HgeMEEuS4nPEKnXg0knOF13aJcIe384_kpaHTYFeAADsVP5WnVhA99N8tPh8NK7aWWYACkpG4bX6RmA04hdX2O1x6TvZSj9RFe28xttPZTrDcB-KG23-FK8JaqIbSUHSP2f2xV7N7E6SwzosdV4O5sa0x2jckuYkKZIHf5Hp3y4GadSA9Bux_YgRnbHGwGtg0rxK1PvuOmOlc49FJx671FgIPmCLVgAUTnqivVnOBEAZsQbyPyjUVlKNoQgDDrCIcmGgxJa8FbzYsrPWW5aZPLE4xUQxOFHY-9dw3jFYAp7xW0hMcO4woDe_VS-JkEGuS52tF4Xg3GzvB8u_CUGBH205ZenDklwgm0LA8FlFRzjGp58RvvG0UdM0vmBGEu_iTyM7oVDrIsxmbLe_F6JEQwlD60yWH8kkA4j294shf_ffIBzjSAjwE8NtNgipT_FkZUGncOhkJWq8SZjodznQQhAiEQt_vkhnQ3AUNl3MG9l8jy5la4jEf5gpDeLMcDI3EttoeSNov4COFk30RkoUfiM2YZc5oEVZeCqg4jjRiSyGe50drc-EyJvCYxIvfmcx-OlN04qgb4VYtESsy_3xcD8y3fls4Pp=w338-h600-no?authuser=0 "

I can't scroll further down to see Version info or anything else that would normally be below the "Do no sell my info" line.  Hubby can, that's how we knew we were on different versions of the app.  Now I can't see wehat version I have, but the menus and icons are all in different places.  ETA* - My "New Souvenir" notification aslo won't go away.  It's persistent, even when viewing all souvenirs, and logging out and back into the app.

5 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

They are investigating the issue @jy09

I sincerely hope so!

Edited by CAVinoGal
1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

I can't scroll further down to see Version info or anything else that would normally be below the "Do no sell my info" line. 

Did you by chance look under the section titled "more"? That's where my version info is shown on the Android app.

Screenshot_20210413-180209.png

Edited by Max and 99
4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Did you by chance look under the section titled "more"? That's where my version info is shown on the Android app.

The screen shot I posted is what comes up when I choose More... it's not scrollable.

Sometimes I CAN scroll to see more, and I have v. 8.46.2.  Other times I cannot scroll, the screen seems locked.  I've concluded I just need to get used to this new version - and I will.  Hopefully they will fix the coords.info link to default to the app vs my browser or a choice that does not include the app....

2 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

The screen shot I posted is what comes up when I choose More... it's not scrollable.

Sometimes I CAN scroll to see more, and I have v. 8.46.2.  Other times I cannot scroll, the screen seems locked.  I've concluded I just need to get used to this new version - and I will.  Hopefully they will fix the coords.info link to default to the app vs my browser or a choice that does not include the app....

Interesting as there's nothing to scroll for me, ever. It's all on one page. 

On 4/9/2021 at 12:40 PM, jy09 said:

Do you have a solution ?

Thank you for catching this glitch first and bringing it to HQ's attention!

This seems like the correct topic to address my problem.   I use Gmail to receive Geocaching notifications as well as getting text notifications for new caches on my phone.   Recently, I went through updates for Gmail, my browsers, and the Geocaching App on my android phone.   Prior to the updates, all I needed to do in Gmail was click on the new geocache publication link and I was directed to the Geocaching App.  For new caches appearing in my Text messages, I would click on the http://coord.info/cachename.  What happens now in Gmail and Text is the Cache page comes up.  I used to scroll down the Geocaching App to [Open In Browser] to open the cache page.  I can get around and do things by enlarging the page to click on functions but not everything.  One thing I cannot do is [Add to a List].   The list disappears when I try to scroll down.  There is not enough room to click on the expanded list.   All this is very frustrating.  I'm hoping for some answers.

• Upvote 1

Same issue with the user that contacts me: when I get a notification for a log I click on the username and instead of taking me to the message center in the app like it always has, now it takes me to the map. It made it a little difficult to contact someone who logged a dnf on my cache. 

Edited by Max and 99

Because I have an "Apostrophe" in my name, I cannot look at my caches found without getting an Error 500.  I wonder if this is the reason I get the cache page instead of the App every time I click on the email or text notifications for new caches.   Another problem I have is the message center.  If I hit the Enter/CR, the message is sent instead of advancing a line.   The "Press Enter to Send" box is unchecked.   For each problem, I have submitted a bug report with the Groundspeak Help Center..  They have acknowledged the problems and a serial number has been assigned.   I have Forum threads for the Error 500 and message center problems.

Edited by frisbee'r