[Feature request] upload only new drafts in the new draft version

frostengel

Hello,

I am referring to the problem which I have already mentioned here (see details if my post here doesn't give enough explanation):

My hope that this feature already exists and I am just too silly to find it has gone as no one could give me an answer.

There are two versions of the draft system on the website: the old one and the new one.

In the old version you can tell the website only to upload new drafts. Let's say I uploaded my drafts today, 8. of April 2021, 5 p.m., than next time I can upload only those with a later time, only the new ones.

With the new version this does not work so the system wants to upload all my drafts from the visits.txt file, even those I have already uploaded.

At the moment I use the old system as the new one is unusable for me due to this missing feature. But I have the fear that someday the old version will be deactivated and only the new one will work.

HHL suggested (see his answer in the linked post) to delete the txt file each time you upload the drafts. That might work but it is laborious and it shouldn't be necessary to do so.

So my feature request is to add this existing feature (!) in the old version to the new version, too. Thanks!

Jochen

This is already how it works. Despite the new draft page not showing that feature, it's still doing it in the background. I haven't cleared my geocache_visits.txt file in years, but I only get the new drafts when I upload it. You're saying that each time you upload, you're getting all of the old drafts again rather than just the new ones since the last upload?

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, The A-Team said:

This is already how it works. Despite the new draft page not showing that feature, it's still doing it in the background. I haven't cleared my geocache_visits.txt file in years, but I only get the new drafts when I upload it. You're saying that each time you upload, you're getting all of the old drafts again rather than just the new ones since the last upload?

Hi,

the new system won't upload my fieldnotes at all as in my visits.txt file there are more than a thousand drafts from the recent years and the system tells me that it can't upload more than a 1000 drafts at once and nothing happens.

So I conclude that it tries to upload all of them. So probably it is just for the first time as I have never used the new system before (because of that reason!)? That's not very self-explanatory so thank you very much for your information.

If I understand you correctly I have to upload an empty visits.txt ONCE to activate the "don't upload drafts before ...." feature and next time using the new system it will only take the newer ones? But if I ever switch back to the old system I have problems again as the systems don't talk to each other?

Thanks again.

Jochen

The "two systems" are the same under the hood, it's just the UI that is different. When you upload a file, your cut off date is automatically set to the last timestamp in the file. HOWEVER, if you bulk delete all of your drafts at once, the filter date is removed and will be set to the last timestamp in the next upload.

I would suggest that you delete your visits.txt file (or make a backup to be safe) and start with a clean, new set of drafts.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
10 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

The "two systems" are the same under the hood, it's just the UI that is different. When you upload a file, your cut off date is automatically set to the last timestamp in the file.

As I said: no it does not. I haven't emptied my visits.txt for some years now and I am uploading the new drafts with the old version regularly. The new version still tries to upload all of them - if not it wouldn't say that only 1,000 at a time are possible but upload only the few new ones.

But you helped me a lot and I will go that way:

--> As long as the old version works I will use that.

--> As soon as the old version stops oeprating I will delete my visits.txt once and start a new life with the new version.

As I like to write long individual logs for any (!) cache the draft system is very important to me. If I short logged most caches it wouldn't be necessary but good logs take time and only be using the drafts system I can log them days (or weeks) later if necessary.

Thanks to everyone.

Jochen

I think that either there has been a glitch in the system (which in general has been very poor lately), OR - what seems more likely - your visit-file is simply too big. 

I got the same message on april 6. when trying to upload my new drafts.  I didn't count the lines, but my visit-file HAD grown very big, so I deleted all the drafts but the newest ones. Saved the file and uploaded as usual. I have uploaded new drafts without any problems today, (using the "new upload") so my money is on the "file is too big" issue.

7 hours ago, SN67 said:

your visit-file is simply too big.

Sure it is - it contains several thousand finds. But that's no problem with the old version as it ignores all of the old drafts that have been uploaded before. The old system works quite fine here. :-)

The new version does not ignore these already uploaded finds though Mount10Bike tells me it would do so:

On 4/9/2021 at 12:29 AM, Moun10Bike said:

The "two systems" are the same under the hood, it's just the UI that is different. When you upload a file, your cut off date is automatically set to the last timestamp in the file.

So that's wrong for my file but hopefully only for the first time (if I ever have to use it). So I can live with it and as long as it works I will use the old system.

By the way I haven't bulk resetted any caches. ;-)

Jochen