The Advocate Interview

Guest Buck8Point

Guest Buck8Point

Well I met the Advocate Reporter, and Photographer today, and took them for a tour of my Bayou Views Cache. I think it went REALLY WELL. The guys were genuinely interested in the sport, the operations of GPS, and seemed to have a great time.

I think the story will turn out very well and have a very positive outcome over all.

For anyone local thats interested, the story will run in Next Friday's Fun Section. (02-01-2002)

Everyone will be happy to know that ClayJar did find the time to meet with the Reporter,

the day before, and pass along his wealth of knowledge of the sport as well, so have no fear Geocaching was well represented as a whole.

I took a couple pics of the guys, and will post them here, and in the Bayou Views Log tomorrow for anyone thats interested.

Again, they were really great and sincere guys, I had a blast taking them out caching, and I think the story will be VERY positive as well.

------------------

Buck8Point

"If I can't fix it, It's definately Broke."

Guest ClayJar

I think he'll use names (he didn't seem used to handles, and he verified my name as I was leaving). The guy seemed to be quite surprised about some things we do (cache in, trash out looked like it caught his ear), and it's for the "Fun" section, so we should have some good press. (Contraversy and fun usually are in different sections. icon_wink.gif)

Guest ClayJar

I think he'll use names (he didn't seem used to handles, and he verified my name as I was leaving). The guy seemed to be quite surprised about some things we do (cache in, trash out looked like it caught his ear), and it's for the "Fun" section, so we should have some good press. (Contraversy and fun usually are in different sections. icon_wink.gif)

Guest Buck8Point

Here are 2 pics of the Advocate People which are doing the story on Geocaching in our Area.

Pictured on Scenic Bayou Richard near the Bayou views Cache are:

Dsc05476.jpg

Dsc05477.jpg

On the left is Ted Griggs (Advocate Features Writer)

On the right with all the COOL Equipment is Bill Feig (Staff Photographer)

Guys if you happen to read this I want to sincerely thank you again for all your interest in our sport, and the genuine friendliness that you showed me on our outing. It was a pleasure meeting you both and taking you out to hunt Bayou Views.

If your ever in the Plaquemine area again, please give me a call, I know where we can get a great deal on Oysters on the Half-Shell, and COLD beers...

------------------

Buck8Point

( D R O O L )

Ohmygosh! Do you know that the man on the right has about $12,000 in cameras hanging around his neck? Those digital Nikon bodies run about $5000 each.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out when it comes out.

Jamie

Guest Buck8Point

HA...

I got news...

Your looking at somewhere closer to between 25,000. to 30,000. total on his person in that picture...

Being a Digital Photographer also, he had me in SERIOUS envy...

Bill Feig is not only a GREAT Photographer, but he is a super nice guy as well..

------------------

Buck8Point

Guest Buck8Point

Just to remind anyone that might be interested. This Friday's Fun Section will have the article about Geocaching.

Hopefully it will create some more interest in our area.

------------------

Buck8Point

een one log to assure that it's still actually there. I really don't want to see it archived as it's one of my favorites, and don't really want to adopt it myself as it's a good 5 hours round trip to check up on it.

alexm

[This message has been edited by alexm (edited 01 February 2002).]

[This message has been edited by alexm (edited 01 February 2002).]

Guest Buck8Point

Great Idea Alex.

I'd take it on myself if it werent so far.

It sounds neat, and I havent had a chance to log it yet..

We really dont need to loose any more of our great caches in this state..

I hope someone close will take the initiative.

------------------

Buck8Point

quote:

It's definitely worth the run, if for no other reason the "Planet Of The Apes" effect ClayJar mentioned in the article. I think Katie and I knocked out almost all of the Kisatchie caches in one day (back then). To this day, it ranks right up there next to Seal Team as "coolest place" in my books. icon_wink.gif

I really think the bad logs ("watch out for nails on the bridge" and "an animal ate it") have kept folks away from it.

Who knows, this may be the weekend I usurp it. icon_wink.gif

alex

P.S. I saw the printed version of the advocate article today. I think you're right. There's a huge life size garmin vista on the front cover. Shoulda been a magellan. That's life, eh? icon_smile.gif

quote:

It's definitely worth the run, if for no other reason the "Planet Of The Apes" effect ClayJar mentioned in the article. I think Katie and I knocked out almost all of the Kisatchie caches in one day (back then). To this day, it ranks right up there next to Seal Team as "coolest place" in my books. icon_wink.gif

I really think the bad logs ("watch out for nails on the bridge" and "an animal ate it") have kept folks away from it.

Who knows, this may be the weekend I usurp it. icon_wink.gif

alex

P.S. I saw the printed version of the advocate article today. I think you're right. There's a huge life size garmin vista on the front cover. Shoulda been a magellan. That's life, eh? icon_smile.gif

Guest Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

Hey now....That was my hand, and my faithful Vista... [;)]

I actually thought the printed version was a bit better than the online one.

Still left a bit unsaid though..

------------------

Buck8Point

Guest Buck8Point

quote:

Hey now....That was my hand, and my faithful Vista... [:)]

I actually thought the printed version was a bit better than the online one.

Still left a bit unsaid though..

------------------

Buck8Point

Guest pizzachef

The article sounded all right...I kinda want to see the printed version with the "huge vista" on it. Although, I have to say, that I'd rather see a huge magellan of some kind. But good for you Buck8Point...now you're hand's famous...and the vista. By the way, how did you get them to write the story? Or did they approach you? Just curious.

About Fullerton, I was planning on driving that way soon..it's not exactly North Louisiana, but I can replace the container and contents if need be. Does it need an entire overhaul or just a new bucket? From the logs, it sounds like the wholething needs to be replaced. But if someone else gets there before I do, let me know.

-pizzachef

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by pizzachef:

About Fullerton, I was planning on driving that way soon..it's not exactly North Louisiana, but I can replace the container and contents if need be. Does it need an entire overhaul or just a new bucket? From the logs, it sounds like the wholething needs to be replaced. But if someone else gets there before I do, let me know.

From the sound of it, I'd say it most likely needs basically a new cache. If there's anything left of the old one, it'd be neat to put the usable remains in the new one, but I wouldn't bet there'd be anything left.

One question for all of us LAGers... Since it's basically an orphaned cache and *somebody* really should "own" it, who wants to? You don't have to be *the* person who goes out if anything goes wrong (it's a community cache now icon_wink.gif), but we should ask Jeremy to transfer it to one of us for responsibility's sake (since anyone finding something important will most likely try to contact the "owner" first).

Guest ClayJar

quote:

From the sound of it, I'd say it most likely needs basically a new cache. If there's anything left of the old one, it'd be neat to put the usable remains in the new one, but I wouldn't bet there'd be anything left.

One question for all of us LAGers... Since it's basically an orphaned cache and *somebody* really should "own" it, who wants to? You don't have to be *the* person who goes out if anything goes wrong (it's a community cache now icon_wink.gif), but we should ask Jeremy to transfer it to one of us for responsibility's sake (since anyone finding something important will most likely try to contact the "owner" first).

cache now lives in a 9mm ammo can very concealed in what I think was the original spot (we saw the spot and when I put my merigold on it, it said 5 feet after averaging a few minutes).

So I'm thinking... put a note on the cache page saying it's ok, email the owner one more time, and wait a week. If the owner doesn't come forward, create a new cache page for it and archive the old one (asking for ownership of the old one just doesn't seem right to me if the old owner were to come looking for it).

There's lots of news on that cache and the area. Check the cache page tomorrow for pictures and details. The forestry service has been busy around there. icon_smile.gif

alex

[This message has been edited by alexm (edited 02 February 2002).]

cache now lives in a 9mm ammo can very concealed in what I think was the original spot (we saw the spot and when I put my merigold on it, it said 5 feet after averaging a few minutes).

So I'm thinking... put a note on the cache page saying it's ok, email the owner one more time, and wait a week. If the owner doesn't come forward, create a new cache page for it and archive the old one (asking for ownership of the old one just doesn't seem right to me if the old owner were to come looking for it).

There's lots of news on that cache and the area. Check the cache page tomorrow for pictures and details. The forestry service has been busy around there. icon_smile.gif

alex

[This message has been edited by alexm (edited 02 February 2002).]

Guest pizzachef

Well cool...

That's exactly what I was going to do..put it in a "critter proof" ammo box or something else made out of high carbon steel. I think that's a good plan Alexm..can someone besides the owner archive the old cache? I guess jeremy can do just about what ever he darn well pleases icon_biggrin.gif, I'm sure we all appreciate it.

-pizzachef

Guest pizzachef

Well cool...

That's exactly what I was going to do..put it in a "critter proof" ammo box or something else made out of high carbon steel. I think that's a good plan Alexm..can someone besides the owner archive the old cache? I guess jeremy can do just about what ever he darn well pleases icon_biggrin.gif, I'm sure we all appreciate it.

-pizzachef

Guest Buck8Point

Here Here...

Nice Job Alex.

If there were more cachers in our state setting a good example like you and Katie have, we would not have the High Turnover rate we are experiencing right now.

My hat is off to you both.

Thanks for being a good cache stewards.

I plan on goin out and hunting it soon.

------------------

Buck8Point

Guest ClayJar

quote:

Actually, changing ownership of the old one is the most finder- and old-owner-friendly way of doing it. Why? For one, it doesn't hide the logs of everyone who has been to it. Also, it lets 4F remain one of Louisiana's vintage caches (12th oldest active cache).

Now, as for why it's old-owner-friendly: You can leave the hider's name the same ("Eric, Leigh, Connor, Jack, Charlie"), which leaves the original credit with them. Jeremy simply changes the e-mail link. Now, if the old owner ever shows up again, a quick e-mail to Jeremy can restore the cache to the original owner. On the other hand, if you (via Jeremy) archive the old cache page (and create a new one), if the old owner ever comes back, he can't just get the cache unarchived. If he did, there would be two cache pages for the one cache, so you'd probably end up archiving your "new" page, which would hide all those logs.

Since Jeremy can switch it back should the original owner come back around, and since any other way of doing it involves most likely hiding logs from people who have logged or will have logged the cache, changing ownership of the existing cache is the only right thing to do in this case. (But post a note saying that if the original owner comes back, he can e-mail you to get it switched back, but that you had it switched after your cache restoration so that you could be the active contact.)

Guest shybabe924

quote:

By the way, how did you get them to write the story? Or did they approach you? Just curious.

Pizzachef-

I have a cousin that publishes a parent magazine in North LA, I believe it's distributed in Ruston also...I know it goes from Oak Grove to Monroe for sure. Her next issue will have camping and other summer fun, and I emailed her about putting Geocaching in there. I told her there were other cachers in that area...so if you wanna interview with her, email me and I'll hook ya up! shybabe924@yahoo.com

Kris

I read the article on line and thought it was pretty good. I contacted my local paper (The Tallahassee Democrat) and they did a feature article on Geocaching with me. At the time I thought they left out a lot of what I wished they would have mentioned and some of the things they wrote about me were just plain incorrect. My friends and family thought it was great and customers at the store I manage still mention the article months later. I guess you view it differently when you are directly involved in the story.

quote:

Actually, changing ownership of the old one is the most finder- and old-owner-friendly way of doing it. Why? For one, it doesn't hide the logs of everyone who has been to it. Also, it lets 4F remain one of Louisiana's vintage caches (12th oldest active cache).

Ya know... The more I think about it, the more I like your idea better than mine.

I think my mind is clouded by the fact that I honestly believe that the cache is cursed, or worse! In a bad hiding spot! icon_wink.gif I don't think that making the old cache page go away is going to help any of that. I just hope I hid it well enough and that future cachers do their fair share to cover it up (from the log pages I found, it was stumbled across at least once).

I emailed them again yesterday, so the clock is ticking. It's just as well if I end up eating it, as I always feel like I'm responsible for a cache if I'm the last one to log it. icon_smile.gif

alexm

quote:

Ya know... The more I think about it, the more I like your idea better than mine.

I think my mind is clouded by the fact that I honestly believe that the cache is cursed, or worse! In a bad hiding spot! icon_wink.gif I don't think that making the old cache page go away is going to help any of that. I just hope I hid it well enough and that future cachers do their fair share to cover it up (from the log pages I found, it was stumbled across at least once).

I emailed them again yesterday, so the clock is ticking. It's just as well if I end up eating it, as I always feel like I'm responsible for a cache if I'm the last one to log it. icon_smile.gif

alexm

Guest Buck8Point

Well Said Alex.

We all need to practice good cache stewardship when we visit a cache, by being responsible enought to reseal, and rehide the cache properly so that it dosent get plundered..

However some areas are just plain bad areas for a cache in the 1st place.

I hope that dosent turn out to be the case for FFFF.

------------------

Buck8Point

Guest Rusty_da_dog

I was just wondering, and know this might not be the exact place to ask this question, but I am going to be in Baton Rouge this coming weekend. Gotta go to the Spanish Town parade. After that I was wondering if there were any reasonably easy, reasonably close geocaches out and about? I dont think I am going to have alot of time to cache, but would love to give it a go.

Also I am looking forward to reading the article from the Fun section last week. A friend of mine saved it for me to read when I get there

Thanks for any info,

Rusty

------------------

RW Da Man!!!

Guest shybabe924

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty_da_dog:

I was wondering if there were any reasonably easy, reasonably close geocaches out and about?

There is one just Northeast of Baton Rouge, in Greenwell Springs...the Palomino cache...and I recently placed one just east of Baton Rouge, Show Me the Money cache...and there are a couple multi-caches in Plaquemine, Bayou Views, Computer Graveyard

Shybabe924

quote:

In ClayJar's geocaching chat room the other night, quite a few folks expressed an interest in seeing the cover of the "Fun" section of The Advocate. I've taken the liberty of scanning it in and posting it here:

icon_wink.gif

alexm

[This message has been edited by alexm (edited 09 February 2002).]

quote:

In ClayJar's geocaching chat room the other night, quite a few folks expressed an interest in seeing the cover of the "Fun" section of The Advocate. I've taken the liberty of scanning it in and posting it here:

icon_wink.gif

alexm

[This message has been edited by alexm (edited 09 February 2002).]

Guest Buck8Point

hahahaaaahahaahaaaahaha

Nice Editing Job Alex.

Almost had me fooled, I hadda do a double take.

GARMIN eTREX VISTA RULES icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Buck8Point

Guest Buck8Point

hahahaaaahahaahaaaahaha

Nice Editing Job Alex.

Almost had me fooled, I hadda do a double take.

GARMIN eTREX VISTA RULES icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Buck8Point

Guest Buck8Point

By the way Alex.

Thanks for the excellent campflage job on AEX Easy Access Cache. You managed to Stump us.

Now I have to go back up there to find it.

icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Buck8Point

Guest Buck8Point

By the way Alex.

Thanks for the excellent campflage job on AEX Easy Access Cache. You managed to Stump us.

icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by Buck8Point:

By the way Alex.

icon_biggrin.gif

I don't think we did THAT good a job on it. I seem the remember the coordinates being a bit off, and after finding it, thinking to myself "30 feet from the road my a**!"..

Thinking about it after I saw your no-find log... "OH! 30 feet from **THAT** ROAD." (not to give too much away).

We didn't see the adult "novelties" that you found, however... But then again I don't think we were looking for that stuff. icon_wink.gif

(a very evil thought just passed through my mind... Let's just say "geofornicating.com" is still available for registration...)

alex

quote:
Originally posted by Buck8Point:

By the way Alex.

icon_biggrin.gif

I don't think we did THAT good a job on it. I seem the remember the coordinates being a bit off, and after finding it, thinking to myself "30 feet from the road my a**!"..

Thinking about it after I saw your no-find log... "OH! 30 feet from **THAT** ROAD." (not to give too much away).

We didn't see the adult "novelties" that you found, however... But then again I don't think we were looking for that stuff. icon_wink.gif

(a very evil thought just passed through my mind... Let's just say "geofornicating.com" is still available for registration...)

alex