Notification of new ALs

Agent Basil

29 minutes ago, Agent Basil said:

I just published a new AL and have found that people have already completed it - highly suss but not the point of my post.  How do people get notified of new ALs ? I can't see how short of staring at map and spotting something that wasn't there before!

I've gotten several notifications for new Adventure Labs in my area. It's so easy to select notifications in the phone settings for the AL app. We have not been able to determine the exact distance but for me it seems to be about 10 -15 miles. 

Edited by Max and 99
Clarification
28 minutes ago, Agent Basil said:

I just published a new AL and have found that people have already completed it - highly suss but not the point of my post.  How do people get notified of new ALs ? I can't see how short of staring at map and spotting something that wasn't there before!

They've completed it and they're waiting for the bonus cache! ?

That looks like a really fun adventure lab!

• Funny 1
14 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I've gotten several notifications for new Adventure Labs in my area. It's so easy to select notifications in the phone settings for the AL app. We have not been able to determine the exact distance but for me it seems to be about 10 -15 miles. 

I think the distance is a bit more and closer to 20 miles in my experience from your current position when it's getting published.

But yeah I am really surprised that no one at Groundspeak ever said (as far as I know) what the heck is the actual distance and if there are ways to adjust it.

54 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

I think the distance is a bit more and closer to 20 miles in my experience from your current position when it's getting published.

But yeah I am really surprised that no one at Groundspeak ever said (as far as I know) what the heck is the actual distance and if there are ways to adjust it.

Yes, you are right. I calculated the distance of the latest AL I got a notification for and it was close to 20 miles. 

My notifications have been working perfectly lately. But one thing I can't figure out is why one Adventure Lab is consistently not showing up on the adventure lab app. It has before but now it's not. I have not started it I have not completed it and I know it's there. I now access it through the geocaching map. 

Screenshot_20210415-140000.png

Screenshot_20210415-140327.png

Several days ago I got a notification for a new Adventure Lab that is 11 mi away. A friend just a few miles from me did not get a notification for that Adventure Lab. The next day we were about to head out to work on it when I noticed the start arrow was gone. My friend said it wasn't on the map,  that I should refresh, and sure enough it had been removed from the map. 

I knew it would be coming back soon. Today I took a look at the map and see that not only is it back on the map, someone completed it, and this time neither my friend or I got a notification. 

I often get notifications but he doesn't, even though we're just a few miles apart. 

So now I'm wondering if I didn't get a notification because I had already been notified of that particular Adventure Lab (unlikely!),  

or I didn't get a notification because it's just not working properly. I'm not seeing much consistency. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Funny 2