Getting to an Olde Log

TeamRabbitRun

I'd like to suggest a "Go-To-Log" button on the website's Cache page (or TB page).

Click it and a Calendar opens. Select or type a date and be magically transported to the first log for the cache BEFORE the selected date, just as if I had kept scrolling down <more> down <more> down <more> down <more> down <more> down <more> to get to a five year old log on a popular cache or TB.

Many's the time I want to go back to a point in time. One example of that many is displaying a cache page and on the top it says "Found It! Logged on _____".

Now, I could go to my profile and search it out there, but why should I have to? I'm already here!

In THAT example, maybe clicking the big yellow smiley could take me to my log, and that would be cool, but that's only one example.

Anybody?

• Upvote 2

Yes. Absolutely. I've needed this so many times. Mostly when trying to solve puzzle caches, but also in other situations. I have to admit, going to *my* find log and then being able to look at the other logs before and after mine is definitely the most common case, and really a very important case, time after time. But just being able to go to an arbitrary date would be quite convenient for me, too, for many reasons.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, TriciaG said:

If you click on "Logged on [date]"

And if you look down from that sentence on cache page, there is also "View all logs". There you can find easily the first log as all your own logs on that cache. 

Edited by kersta1
Trying to make it more understandable what I want to say
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, TriciaG said:

If you click on "Logged on [date]", it takes you to your log. It's not in the log list, though - just the direct link to your log.

Does that help a little?

Nope, doesn't help even a little. Of course I can read any of my logs. The part that's missing is seeing what happened next. For that, I have to scroll to the date. I'd much rather the link on "logged on" jumped into the log at my entry instead of bringing up my entry alone in an independent page with no "next" or anything connecting my log to the list of everyone's logs.

There is an extension which make that possible. 

With the GClh (link in my signature) is that, and much more, possible. 

You'll see your Logs in the right sidebar. With hover you can read it and with a click it jump down to your log (on Listings with much log it will need some time)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, kersta1 said:

And if you look down from that sentence on cache page, there is also "View all logs". There you can find easily the first log as all your own logs on that cache. 

kersta1 - Yes, thanks, that's true, but the webpage loads in chunks to limit traffic and file size.

It USED to be that the logs were presented in 'pages', and you only got one page worth of data at a time. You could go to page 2, or 4 or 10 at will, as you do with a cache's photo gallery.

Important of course on a PC; more important on a mobile device. Then they changed it so that it would keep adding to the bottom as it does now. Lets you scroll through everything newer than the oldest DISPLAYED log.

If you want to go back to a point in time only a year ago on a popular cache that's been around for fifteen years with hundreds or even thousands of logs, it's just bad web programming to have to download all that data.

7 hours ago, capoaira said:

You'll see your Logs in the right sidebar. With hover you can read it and with a click it jump down to your log (on Listings with much log it will need some time)

capoaira - As cool as it is to modify the display you get from the website, this is of course beyond the abilities of the vast majority of users. It also ties/limits the feature to whatever PC and possibly browser you modify.

Many people, me included, also don't WANT to change what we see from GS for all sorts of reasons.

So, I applaud your work in bending the world to your needs. I'm not being sarcastic at all; I truly think this sort of thing is great, but it's not a solution for the masses.

Can you post a screenshot? I'm curious.

17 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:
On 4/7/2021 at 10:00 AM, capoaira said:

Can you post a screenshot? I'm curious.

You can define VIPs (Very Important Persons / Cachers). The logs of these cachers are then displayed in compressed form in each cache listing. As a rule, you are also one of the VIPs. With a click on these compressed logs you can jump to the place of the log in the log list.

Here an example of a cache listing out of my sight ...

1020611220_GIF08_04.202111-21-24.gif.d41115f5d54720e6a568933aabcac9af.gif

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, 2Abendsegler said:

You can define VIPs (Very Important Persons / Cachers). The logs of these cachers are then displayed in compressed form in each cache listing. As a rule, you are also one of the VIPs. With a click on these compressed logs you can jump to the place of the log in the log list.

Here an example of a cache listing out of my sight ...

Very nice - thanks for posting that.

On 4/7/2021 at 11:07 AM, TeamRabbitRun said:

It USED to be that the logs were presented in 'pages', and you only got one page worth of data at a time. You could go to page 2, or 4 or 10 at will, as you do with a cache's photo gallery

You can still page through them by choosing “View all logs” located right above the most recently recorded log. 

159FF48B-9557-474F-9B8E-98A9F042E86A.jpeg

Edited by Twinklekitkat
typo
  • Funny 2