"Message this owner"

hostanut

Similar to the new Pencil icon ("Enter solved coordinates") info box......

Add an info box for "Message this owner":

"Some cache owners may not use Message Center.
Cache owners can also be contacted by using the "Send email" link on their Profile page.
Checking "I want to send my email address along with this message."  will make it easier for the cache owner to respond."

Reasoning:

Some cache owners do not use Message Center. Some of those cache owners have unchecked "Send me Message Center email notifications."

Cachers who attempt to contact one of these cacher owners using Message Center may get frustrated by a lack of response from the CO.
By telling cachers about this alternate method to contact COs may facilitate more communication.

This is NOT a debate about why some COs don't use MC.....it is a fact that some COs don't use MC (although probably a small percentage of COs).

I prefer the use of email because I keep emails sent to me with the required answers for my Virts. One reason I keep these emails is that sometimes one cacher sends in the answers for a group of cachers. Since some of the cachers in that group might not log that cache for days or even weeks......I can search through my email folder to see if they were a member of a group that submitted the required answers instead of looking through unrelated messages in MC.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Would this extra text be placed on both the "Send email" and "Send message" links on someone's profile?

I ask because there are cachers who state to only contact them via the message center, not email.

Maybe let owners choose whether they want to be contacted via email, via MC, or via either. And then offer others the corresponding options for contacting the owner.

• Upvote 2

I'd actually prefer niraD's response... "Let owners choose whether they want to be contacted via email, via MC, or via either but I assumed HQ would NOT change to that.

Max and 99: I was actually referring to the "Message this owner" on the cache page and "Message" in the Geocaching app.............but it should be placed wherever appropriate.

• Upvote 1

Like all Reviewers, most we know (and us) use email only, say so on our cache pages and profiles, but have notifications for mc messages.

Similar to niraD maybe, we choose to and will respond to a MC mail through our email. 

A while ago we had one that mailed twice through mc, and we responded each time in email.

• Upvote 1

I prefer the message center. The main reason I contact folks is to either send in answers to their virtual or earthcache, or ask them about a particular hide. So rather than looking through emails, my conversation with a particular player is all in one place. On the receiving end, I also like to know whether someone who is sending in earthcache answers has found any of our other hides. I might not get that through an email, but I'll know right away if they're using the message center.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
11 hours ago, hzoi said:

On the receiving end, I also like to know whether someone who is sending in earthcache answers has found any of our other hides.

Most of my hides are puzzles, so most of my incoming communication is people looking for help.  Having that single thread makes it much easier for me to decide on the level of assistance to provide, based on any previous conversations.

I just scrolled through the MC and at a rough count I’ve had conversations with about 350 other cachers.  And they’re all in one place.

To add: as discussed elsewhere, some search functionality would be very useful. ?

Edited by IceColdUK
To add...
9 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

To add: as discussed elsewhere, some search functionality would be very useful.

The search functions in my email tools are why I've never been a big fan of my geocaching communications going elsewhere. That's why I've always felt GS messaging was reinventing the wheel, and now you're asking them to make their new stone wheel pneumatic.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, dprovan said:

The search functions in my email tools are why I've never been a big fan of my geocaching communications going elsewhere. That's why I've always felt GS messaging was reinventing the wheel, and now you're asking them to make their new stone wheel pneumatic.

Even without search functionality, for me, the MC is far preferable to email, but there’s always room for improvement...