In New Orleans May 4th

Jeremy

I'll be attending the ASP Connections conference in New Orleans the week prior to May 4th, so I extended the trip for another day to do some geocaching in the morning. If anyone knows of any decent caches nearby, let me know. I thought going off the beaten path would be fun while I'm there. icon_smile.gif

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Jeremy,

We have a bunch of good caches in south Louisiana.

I would be willing to give you a run down on some of the best since I have Logged every single one anywhere near New Orleans, and the entire south of Louisiana.

I also know the French Quarter like the back of my hand, and if you need a tour guide, or just someone to give you some ideas on what to see and do, and even where to eat, while there, please feel free to eMail me.

I can be a lot of help, as I spend a lot of time down there havin lots of fun.

Have no fear, you WILL pass a good time in the Big Easy, and South Louisiana.

Lookin forward to your visit.

Buck8Point

icon_biggrin.gif

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

Jeremy,

I'd highly recommend attending Jazz Fest while you're here. Great music, great food, great people.

As far as local caches go, Wilson was my first find, and a great introduction to the sport. It's on the west bank in Jean Lafite National Historical Park on the site of an old sugar cane plantation (I think?).

And of course, my cache Red Beans and Rice is pretty cool too (biased opinion icon_wink.gif ). It was recently hit by some bandits, so it may be a little empty. It's a nice walk along Lake Pontchartrain and Bayou Savage National Wildlife Refuge and if you know where to look, you can see some monster sized aligators. icon_eek.gif

Dwarf Sumac is an easy find in City Park. Nice little walk, 5 minutes from downtown.

Oh well that's a start. Gotta run...

Russell

Jeremy,

I havent heard back from you so I will assume you already have your plans set for New Orleans.

I'm assuming your staying at the Sheraton New Orleans on Canal St. downtown. If so, here is a couple I'd suggest you check out.

After all, the adventure of getting to a cache is a big part of it, so I'll suggest at least 2 you wont even need a rent a car for in the area.

Im sure you arent much on cam caches, in principal, however it would be super cool for us down here to see you log the only cam cache in LA.

Here is what you do.

Basically cross Canal St. and head into the French Quarter.

New Orleans Bon Chance (Good Luck) Cache-Cam

It is smack in the midle of the French Quarter within walking distance of where your staying, and I PROMISE youll have a great time down there..

So that alone makes it worth Logging.

The next I want to suggest is

Who Got The Baby?

This is a great concept cache in a really scenic area...

Here is what you do.

Walk to the corner of St. Charles and Canal St in downtown New Orleans and wait for the streetcar going Uptown.

This will take you on a 30 min VERY nice tour of scenic oak covered UpTown New Orleans which Im sure you will enjoy.

It is definately "THE AREA TO SEE" in town..

When you get to Audubon Park across from Tulane University, hop off the Streetcar, and go find the baby. I think RBDupuy will love you takin a baby back to the Pacific Northwest to be put in a new cache. It can be a challenging cache to find as well.

I gaurantee you will like the park, the Live Oaks, the ride, and the sights along the way.

When your finished simply hop back on the streetcar, and head back downtown.

Please relize though, that it is HOT and HUMID down here, so be sure to drink large quantities of Frozen Alcoholic Beverages... icon_biggrin.gif

I can also help you find some really good food off the beaten path, if you like..

Hope you have fun while your here..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Brok

[This message was edited by Buck8Point on April 15, 2002 at 09:40 PM.]

You neglected to mention whether you prefer culture or ecology. (There are two distinct sides to Louisiana.)

Buck8Point and the rest of them are definitely *far* more well versed than I when it comes to the cultural side of things. I'm just a long-displaced native Wisconsinite living in my adopted home (well, for everything except football... GO! PACK! GO!).

If you'd like to see what Louisiana-sans-people is like, however, there are indeed several really good caches around. Probably the best (and definitely the most vintage) is, as has been mentioned above, Wilson.

Red Beans and Rice is a really nice, but really long walk... It's a lot faster with a bike (if you wanted to bike it, I'm sure arrangements can be made icon_wink.gif). Dwarf Sumac is really nice, too. The "mountain" is the best part.

Anyway, I'd really recommend Wilson, myself. It's been quite a long time since I hiked it, but IIRC, it's about a mile to get to it from the parking, and I believe it's the only cache where an alligator has actually delayed a cacher's return hike. icon_biggrin.gif

Incidentally, I assume you'll have transportation, eh? (If not, I'll open the bidding for Jeremy's taxi service at 1 meal of his choice on me, up to a reasonable limit. icon_wink.gif) You wouldn't be too put off by an impromptu micro-gathering a la cache, would you? To some of us vintage cachers, you're practically... um... someone we've never met. icon_biggrin.gif

(Too bad you're probably not up for some hydrocaching... you can get some really nice paddling on the other side of the big lake.)

[Editor's Note: It's not my fault that I used *waaay* too many emoticons... I do that when I'm tired. icon_wink.gif]

[New Editor's Note: The previous editor has been dismissed.]

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

You wouldn't be too put off by an impromptu micro-gathering _a la_ cache, would you? To some of us _vintage_ cachers, you're practically... um... someone we've never met. icon_biggrin.gif

Here here...I'd sure like to get together for a short time, or long if you've got the time, and have a bite to eat or drink. I'll probably be at the Jazz Fest that day, but that evening would be a great time to relax and get to know the guy that's running this cool website.

Could we arrange a meeting time and place so that the area cachers could get together and get to know one another and meet the big JI? I think that would be swell...maybe someone could make it a short-notice event cache?? hehe, you're probably wishing you never said you were coming down here.. icon_biggrin.gif

But seriously, some really good caches were mentioned above, and you DEFINITELY should take the street car ride from Canal to uptown...shoot, take it all the way to the end at Claiborne and come back. It's relaxing. And I, and others I'm sure, would really like to meet you and share some stories about geocaching and how all of our lives are forever changed.

Let us know.

-pizzachef

Sounds like a fun idea to have an event. Maybe a meal and a movie? (meaning event and a cache hunt). Since I'm not well versed in the area perhaps someone could come up with a venue. And yes, we're staying at the Sheraton.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Well, my favorite place to eay is Liuzza's, it's on Bienville near Jeff Davis. Across the street from Mercy Baptist hospital..well, the hospital may have changed names, but that place has awesome food. If you go, you have to get the fried dill pickles..they're out of this world.

But I'll be at the Jazz Fest I think, for most of the day. If you want to do something after cacheing, everyone (who can't make the caching) can meet at the bar in Mike Anderson's (on Bourbon near Canal) have an appetizer and a drink and chat...decide what to do from there. It's a restaurant, so it should be okay for J. CJ. That way if you need to go back to your room after tromping around in our 99% humidity to freshen up, you won't be far from the meeting place.

If someone knows of a better place to meet, bring it up. Does anyone want to set a time? Anyone at least interested?

-pizzachef

After talking it over with Jeremy, due to his tight schedule, and considering his location, I set up an event cache for a well known location in the French Quarter near his accomidations.

Look for the Event to be posted in the next few hours...

Thanks to Jeremy for taking time out of his busy schedule to get together with us for a couple hours, and Pass a Good Time..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

The Event Cache has been posted.

Pass a Good Time with the "Founding Father"

Looks like Jeremy's time with us will be limited to a couple hours due to his travel arangements, but lets all try to be there to Meet and Greet him, and show our support for Geocaching.

This will be a very informal get together, in a FUN atmosphere, and I urge anyone who can attend to try and do so.

Just an Idea...

Wouldnt it be really COOL to:

A) Have a trademark Pat O'Briens B/W Poitrait of all of us with Jeremy Passin a Good Time, to remember the occasion.

;) How COOL would it be to all get together and log Louisiana's only Cam-Cache New Orlean Bon Chance (Good Luck) Cache-Cam With the "Founding Father" of Geocaching, the Sport we all LOVE.

In my book.... Both would be REALLY COOL..

So Yall Come on Down to da Big Easy, and Pass a Good Time with us

Buck8Point

Well, I don't see anything on the calendar... I think I'll try to make it. And thanks, Buck8Point, for the free promo for "Who Got the Baby?" I wasn't thinking about our out-of-town visitors when I placed it, but I guess it does work out well that way. Looking forward to the mini-event-cache-meet-and-greet-photo-opp-whatever-fiasco.

RBDupuy

My Pleasure Ronnie.

Its a GREAT Cache concept, with a unique local Louisiana flavor, as is Seafood Cache of the Day as well. I sure hope Jeremy finds the time to log it. Its a fun cache in a nice setting, and one we can all be proud of.

Lookin forward to seeing you there.

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

Sorry, I missed it, I came rolling in at about 1:30 and couldn't find anybody I recognized. (Remind me again why I go driving through the crazy French Quarter traffic on a JazzFest Weekend.) I saw a guy that kinda looked like ClayJar, but he had a hat and dark sunglasses on so I wasn't sure. My apologies, and I even had one of my signature crabs for our special guest. I hung around until 2, then went across the street to bag the cache-cam that's eluded me for so long. Then I decided to take one final stroll through Pat O's with my yellow E-Trex in plain view. I figured that if anybody saw me walking around with it, that they'd say something. (other than "Hey dude, nice cell phone.") Anyway, I'll catch you all next time around... or sooner.

RBDupuy.

quote:
Originally posted by rbdupuy:

I saw a guy that kinda looked like ClayJar, but he had a hat and dark sunglasses on so I wasn't sure.

You must have JUST missed the gang. At 1:34, we were standing in the heat wondering how long you had to wait at the Bon Chance webcam for it to get you for sure.

What REALLY scares me is that there may be two ClayJars walking the streets out there. icon_smile.gif

Sorry you missed it, but Katie and I got a baby out of the day!

alex

After checking some of the pics on the cache page, I can say that the person I saw had the same build, hairstyle, even the same type of hat. But unless he changed clothes (and hid his "jar"), it wasn't the same ClayJar. icon_wink.gif

Also, I can confirm that the crew in the pictures wasn't there in that same spot when I did my "walkthroughs." I wish I'd have got to meet the more New Orleans side of Geocaching which I've never really met (and those I have). I'll just agree with those who mentioned that we'll have to do this more often (and catch it next time around).

BTW, I guess I didn't stand in the right spot (long enough) for the cache-cam to get me "for sure." I'll have to catch it again sometime.

RBDupuy.

Maybe next time for me, I had to work as usual. All the fun stuff seems to happen on the days I'm working! icon_rolleyes.gif From the pics, looks like ya'll had a good time though.

At some point during the event, I received a phone call from Buck8Point...but he wasn't on the phone, all I could hear was some jabber about his cache floating in a tree and it's been underwater for about a month now LOL (maybe you should change that to a hydrocache, canoes only, Mr. Jenkinson) icon_razz.gif ...and I listened for a few minutes and he never said anything---I believe he was just trying to torture me since I couldn't go! icon_biggrin.gif

I'll be there next time!

Kris

=============

If life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into a watergun and shoot other people in the eyes.

HAHAHA..looks like Bucky was pushing buttons in his pocket!! I do that all the time, glad to hear it happens to other people too.

It was a fun time...glad we could do it. We'll have to start getting together regularly..like a monthly bar/restaurant run to catch up. Maybe a little closer towards the middle of the state to make it easier for everyone. Just a thought.

-pizzachef

Well..

Im just getting back from Destin, Florida, from an aborted vacation/cache hunting excursion. Seems that the office just cant function without me... I got an emergency call at 7:30AM Monday morning, as I was dreaming of all the cool Florida Caches I was gonna log the next 2 days..... Oh Well.. At least I got to have a great time yesterday rippin up Choctawhatchee Bay on a Bad *** WaveRunner..

Now THAT is the ultimate Hydrocaching tool..

Anyways....

Just wanted to say what a Great time I had getting to see everyone again, and of course meeting Jeremy & Elias was a real treat as well. Both are great down to earth people, and we all appreciate them taking time out of thier busy schedule to get together with us.

Geocaching truly does bring good people together.

A nice extra to a fun, and challenging past time.

I only have 2 regrets...

1- That I had to leave early to drive to Florida, and miss out on some of the fun. Especially the food at Coops.. I pass by there al the time..

I will definately be back to stop in and try the food.

2- That we missed Ronnie Dupuy by just a few minutes..

Ask anyone how many times I said, "Man I wonder where Ronnie is, I know he was gonna try to make it."

Oh and Ron, man I am Sooooo sorry to hear about Seafood Cache of the day. THAT SUCKS..

maybe it was those same No Count GeoCaching Terrorist A** Holes that robbed the other caches in the New Orleans area.

I think we have a GREAT contingent of geocachers here in Louisiana, and Yes we should begin to start thinking about organizing regular get togethers in this state. It could only lead to better adventures for us all.

Oh and Shybabe924, sorry bout the errant phone call from my pocket. Wish you coulda made it..

Thanks for grabbin the pics from the Bourbon Cam for us..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

I know I only missed everybody by minutes, because I went through there eh, whatever time it was, and nobody was there, but the other pics and logs lead me to believe that it was "just" before I got there. Sorry, I missed, but I'll catch up next time. I went around to both entrances of Pat O's and asked that "If there was a group of people meeting here at 12:00 and sticking around for a while, and if I obviously missed them, might there have been a way for them to leave some sort of message, or further instructions?" I think the multi-question confused them because they all just kind of stared blankly and asked if I had gone in the restaurant to check. Well, yeah, don't you see me coming up to you from the INSIDE?

I wanted to ask if there was a guy with camo-overalls and tie-dye, but figured you probably might not be wearing it and I'd look dumber han I did already. icon_wink.gif And then I thought maybe I'd ask if there was a group all with "funny little cell-phones?" I decided to give up on that too. icon_rolleyes.gif

I do support a more steady geo-meeting schedule, though. Maybe we can have them around the state, central LA once, down south once, out west, maybe invite the neighbors, course I can't say I'll be able to attend, but I like the idea, And the last time we talked about this, I remember something about an "over-nighter" or some kind of weekend caching meet-up? I'm still down for that (pending schedules).

RBDupuy.