Question about Virtuals

I know that virtual caches don't necessarily fall under the same rules and regulations as physical hides, but I thought that I read somewhere that logging/finding caches should not require you to pay to enter a business.  Example - there is a virtual cache at a lighthouse, but to claim it you have to pay to take the tour so that you can answer a questions whose answer cannot be found otherwise.  Is this permissible?  I am ok not getting the smiley, but I have to admit it is a little disappointing, especially with so many things closed/limited due to COVID restrictions, to be standing within a foot of the landmark and not be able to count it.

Usually that "rule" applies to expensive payments, not the regular entrance fees to public attractions (businesses are a different thing).

Why don't you just wait until you really want to visit the lighthouse per se (the real reason you are asked to pay)... than you can have the best of both worlds. ;) 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Provided that the admission fee charged by the non-profit is "reasonable" (for example, $10 per person), there is not an issue under the Geocache Hiding Guidelines.  The same is true for park systems that require an annual pass, public zoos and botanical gardens, etc.

If the lighthouse were owned by a commercial business venture, then the answer would be the opposite.

There is a cache attribute for "Access/Parking Fee" - it's a Dollar sign.  It would be helpful, but not mandatory, for the cache page you're describing to include that attribute.

Edited by Keystone
  • Helpful 3
4 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Provided that the admission fee charged by the non-profit is "reasonable" (for example, $10 per person), there is not an issue under the Geocache Hiding Guidelines.  The same is true for park systems that require an annual pass, public zoos and botanical gardens, etc.

If the lighthouse were owned by a commercial business venture, then the answer would be the opposite.

There is a cache attribute for "Access/Parking Fee" - it's a Dollar sign.  It would be helpful, but not mandatory, for the cache page you're describing to include that attribute.

That clears up my question - thanks for the additional information.

Some Virtuals pre-date  commercial restrictions by this site. 

The commercial limits were fairly new when I started hiding in 2003. There are old Virtuals in expensive for profit locations, like Disney World and Epcot in Florida.

Anything published as a Virtual Reward, since 2017, should adhere to current commercial restrictions.

• Helpful 3