need benchmark help

I’m not an expert either, but I believe the mark you located is used to help determine water flow (or height?) , so would more than likely not be on the NGS site.  I bet if you posted this on the Benchmark forum, some of the more knowledgeable folks could help you out better than I can.  

That’s a pretty neat find.  I just tried to look for 2 NGS marks near some bridges and both I believe were destroyed when they replaced the bridges.  Pictures from past finders show a different looking bridge that what is there currently (assuming I was at the correct area).  

maybe you can Waymark it?  

The short answer is yes. They'll accept pretty much any type of "benchmark" style marker stamped with the USGS name.

I've not run across a Gaging Station disc, but they're included in the variables for U.S. Benchmarks:

Benchmark Agency = US Geological Survey

Monumentation type = Gaging Station

Keith

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
49 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

The short answer is yes. They'll accept pretty much any type of "benchmark" style marker stamped with the USGS name.

I've not run across a Gaging Station disc, but they're included in the variables for U.S. Benchmarks:

Benchmark Agency = US Geological Survey

Monumentation type = Gaging Station

Keith

Cool. I found this "in the wild", as in not from any published data. I was looking at an old bridge, for Orphaned Bridges category, and saw this on it. I have tried (not really hard) a couple times to find benchmark medallions, and haven't so far. But I have a data sheet for one that is supposed to be near one of my recent waymarks that is close to home.

AlRight! I have my first posted US Benchmark waymark. Now, I'm doing research to be the first one in Oklahoma to post an Azimuth Benchmark. It looks like those are a bit harder to find. I'm also working on finding a real NGS Benchmark disk and a rod. Learning new stuff, collecting new icons.

27 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

Cool!!! Keep on keeping on, Lee!!

BTW, have you figgered out how to use the map?

I had been using the map for a couple years, trying to figure out if there were disks I could try to find (I wanted a disk for my first find, the rods just aren't very photogenic). But thanks for the hint, in case I hadn't known.

1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

I had been using the map for a couple years, trying to figure out if there were disks I could try to find (I wanted a disk for my first find, the rods just aren't very photogenic). But thanks for the hint, in case I hadn't known.

I picked out an easy find for my first disk station.  It was in a small shopping center and the  Rite-aid had gone out of business, so there was no one around.  It was above ground and easy  to spot.  I have become sort of obsessed with finding them now.  Lol.    Good luck. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, outdoorsoccer said:

I have become sort of obsessed with finding them now.  Lol.    Good luck. 

I, too, was obsessed with BMs. They are what got us started with Waymarking. I did BMs for awhile before I realized that we had pix from previous trips that were just begging to be Waymarked - specifically, Grain Elevators. For the first 100 or more WMs, about all we did were BMs and Grain Elevators.

Good luck to you both.

EDIT: I couldn't remember for sure which one was my first, so I had to look. It wasn't anywhere near the first one posted, but I'm pretty sure that the first one I found was 9T, one of a group of three on a railway bridge north of the Trail Smelter. We weren't Waymarking yet, so I have no idea why we were there - mebbe looking for a cache.

Keith

b87ba6d5-667b-48d0-9793-67738957c735.jpg

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 1