Found My First GPSr - A Blast From The Past!

Nice!

I have about a half dozen of those, give or take a couple... Unfortunately, they are the only geko that can not be updated as they have no computer interface, so they suffer from the 'End Of Week' syndrome, but they still work for most basic activities. I was collecting the, to place into a multi-cache where the coordinates would already be pre-loaded for the next stage, but never quite finalized that concept...

Great little tiny GPSr, they are.

5 hours ago, Lostboy1966 said:

It darn sure would not have locked from inside my garage!

:laughing:

We've kept both our blue legends, good for open areas, and spares for new folks on simple hides.

They still work, but  "just a tree" knocking it outta whack (when your entire area's trees...) all the time was a real pain-in-the-can.

We were spending more time time time looking for "clearings" than caching.   :D 

We started with one of these whilst in Saudi Arabia in 2008- the total number of waypoints (152?) - was exactly the same as the number of caches in country at the time!

We also carried a ring binder with a print out of every cache listing, and only replaced it when the LCD screen died.

8 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

:laughing:

We've kept both our blue legends, good for open areas, and spares for new folks on simple hides.

They still work, but  "just a tree" knocking it outta whack (when your entire area's trees...) all the time was a real pain-in-the-can.

We were spending more time time time looking for "clearings" than caching.   :D 

I used to augment the weak antenna on these old etrexes with a simple compass. It worked great actually. I set up a bearing field on the map screen and whenever I'd reach an area where I thought the GPS would regain a fix, I'd take another bearing and update my direction. 

I did many of my early caches with an Etrex Legend and it worked fantastically once I got into a rhythm with it.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

I started with a Garmin 12 - it's distance to waypoint was in decimal miles, the closest was 0.01 miles (about 53 feet).  Many a time we'd mark the trail when it went to 0.00, continue until it read 0.01 again and split the difference.  A great way to develop your geo-senses.  Also used a compass at times to triangulate.