Corrected Multi coordinates in app

I have a really annoying problem. Just realized that we actually passed a final location for a multi cache today, many, many kilometers from home. However, the first point is quite far from the final location, and we picked up the required info quite some time ago and entered/corrected the coordinates on the webpage. Now, months later we actually drove past the final spot, but the corrected multi does not show on the map in the app, so we didn't realize this until back home. Why? Am I doing something wrong, or is the multi cache not working like mysteries? Corrected mysteries show up in the corrected location until logged. Why does the multi not do the same?

13 minutes ago, Redkitten said:

I have a really annoying problem. Just realized that we actually passed a final location for a multi cache today, many, many kilometers from home. However, the first point is quite far from the final location, and we picked up the required info quite some time ago and entered/corrected the coordinates on the webpage. Now, months later we actually drove past the final spot, but the corrected multi does not show on the map in the app, so we didn't realize this until back home. Why? Am I doing something wrong, or is the multi cache not working like mysteries? Corrected mysteries show up in the corrected location until logged. Why does the multi not do the same?

I thought it did. ?

I have never run into this problem with mysteries, only multis. On the website they show up on updated coords, just not in the app. I don't think it shows up in original location either, it just disappears!

IceColdUK, are you sure you are not having some filters on that prevents that particular mystery from showing? In my case I have checked and doublechecked, the updated multis just don't show! When you search for it on GC-code it will show, but not when normally just loading caches in the area.

9 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Okay I just tested it out, but on my Android not the iPhone (I'll ask Max if he sees it on his phone). The corrected coordinates icon does show on my map for multi caches. 

Please try and load all caches in an area, without actually searching for the particular cache. Just load caches in an area. Does it still show up?

21 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I just checked with a second person who uses an iPhone. Corrected coordinates for multi caches are showing up on his map too without searching for a particular cache, just browsing the map. 

I'm only updating to help you figure out what's causing your issue that you posted about. 

This is really strange. Another person I just checked with who is using Android has the problem... So where is the trigger??? If it is not depending on the phone??

1 minute ago, Redkitten said:

This is really strange. Another person I just checked with who is using Android has the problem... So where is the trigger??? If it is not depending on the phone??

And you're sure the person you checked with has not already found that multi-cache they're not finding at the corrected coordinates on the map?

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

So just to recap, you're seeing the corrected coordinates icon on the map on the website, at the corrected coordinates, but not in the correct location on the app? 

Correct. And we both have the same issue. I use iPhone and he uses and Android phone.

Multibug.PNG

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

I corrected coordinates (chosen at random) on the multi cache you showed in your screenshots above. 

It shows in the map view on my app.

Screenshot_20210326-141115.png

Try reloading the view by e.g. changing the filter "show my found geocaches" from on to off or vice versa, it will force the geocaches to reload, and see if it still shows up?

4 minutes ago, Redkitten said:

Try reloading the view by e.g. changing the filter "show my found geocaches" from on to off or vice versa, it will force the geocaches to reload, and see if it still shows up?

Ok. Just did that for several different filters. The icon disappeared when I clicked a bunch of random attributes for which it would not apply. 

I filtered by show my found on and off. 

Each time I check the map and the icon was showing when it was supposed to. 

I'll check this behavior on the iPhone when it shows up at home in just a little bit.

Edited by Max and 99

Doing some more testing here, and now I think we have an important clue!! On both phones, iPhone and Android we get the multi to show up if we REMOVE ALL Traditional caches. So filter out all traditionals, then the multi location shows on map. When we add traditionals back, the multi location disappears!

1 minute ago, Redkitten said:

Doing some more testing here, and now I think we have an important clue!! On both phones, iPhone and Android we get the multi to show up if we REMOVE ALL Traditional caches. So filter out all traditionals, then the multi location shows on map. When we add traditionals back, the multi location disappears!

Well that's strange! It didn't look like on the map that the icons are overlapping, so I don't know what removing traditional caches would have anything to do with this issue. Very interesting!

4 hours ago, Redkitten said:

IceColdUK, are you sure you are not having some filters on that prevents that particular mystery from showing?

No filters, but like you, I found that setting certain filters got it to appear.

Is this happening to you for all multis, or just the one shown (GC87VTZ)?  I corrected its coords but had no issues with its display. Sorry!

9 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

No filters, but like you, I found that setting certain filters got it to appear.

Is this happening to you for all multis, or just the one shown (GC87VTZ)?  I corrected its coords but had no issues with its display. Sorry!

It happens to them all. And it is really not a new problem, I have seen it before when we did several  20+ points multis that took us hundreds of kilometers across the country. Then you have to break at some point and continue later. In that situation I did see the same problem, always had to search for the last point when we continued. It just started annoying me again yesterday as we passed one final point without noticing it, and I decided to try and ask for some help.

I have solved coordinates on a multi that are hundreds of kilometers from the posted coordinates. If I scroll my map to the final coordinates and let caches load, this multi doesn’t show. If I scroll map to the posted coordinates, let caches there load and then zoom way out so that the final location is visible, this multi is there with the solved icon. The multi disappears if I zoom back in near the final location and the app loads nearby caches, unless I select it when the map is zoomed out (and keep it selected).

My workaround is to have a bookmark list just for caches like this, but of course I still need to check it manually.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

Also, if you look at the Help Center article for mystery caches, it says:

The final stage cannot be more than 2 miles (3.2 kilometers) from the posted coordinates. This allows the cache to show up in nearby searches.

So I guess the behaviour described in this thread is intentional, but for some reason only mystery caches have a rule to prevent it from happening.

7 minutes ago, mustakorppi said:

I have solved coordinates on a multi that are hundreds of kilometers from the posted coordinates. If I scroll my map to the final coordinates and let caches load, this multi doesn’t show. If I scroll map to the posted coordinates, let caches there load and then zoom way out so that the final location is visible, this multi is there with the solved icon. The multi disappears if I zoom back in near the final location and the app loads nearby caches, unless I select it when the map is zoomed out (and keep it selected).

My workaround is to have a bookmark list just for caches like this, but of course I still need to check it manually.

What a great observation. 

23 minutes ago, mustakorppi said:

Also, if you look at the Help Center article for mystery caches, it says:

So I guess the behaviour described in this thread is intentional, but for some reason only mystery caches have a rule to prevent it from happening.

The problem concerns only MULTIcaches, not mysteries. And there is no problem with mysteries, they show up as they should. So I don't know if it has anything to do with the mystery rule. The behaviour is probably international, yes, but I would consider it a bug. Especially as it seems to be connected to filters. When filtering traditional caches out, the MULTI stage appears on the map again. And yes, I also made a bug report on it.

37 minutes ago, mustakorppi said:

I just hate workaround ;). I want the problem solved!! 

7 minutes ago, Redkitten said:

The problem concerns only MULTIcaches, not mysteries.

What I’m saying is that this problem isn’t related to cache type, but the distance between posted and final coordinates. The app only loads N caches whose posted coordinates are near the centre of the map. If you set a mystery’s solved coordinates somewhere far away, you get the same behaviour. 

3 minutes ago, mustakorppi said:

What I’m saying is that this problem isn’t related to cache type, but the distance between posted and final coordinates. The app only loads N caches whose posted coordinates are near the centre of the map. If you set a mystery’s solved coordinates somewhere far away, you get the same behaviour. 

Okay, got you. Still hope they can solve the issue, it is really annoying to find you just missed a multi end-point far from home just because it did not show on the map. And I still hate workarounds... :( since they usually don't really work!

4 hours ago, mustakorppi said:

Yep, that explains my Mystery cache issue.  Can’t believe this didn’t occur to me.  Thank you.

The cache in question was one where you had to recognise a location from an aerial image - that turned out to be almost six miles from the posted coords.  Set when the 2 mile rule was more of a guideline. ?