New Garmin 750T - strange issues, advice sought (issues fixed and advice found + setup advice within)

SpinRay

Hi,

So I received my 750t yesterday.  I really like it, and seems a good fit for my needs.  I am however having some flakey issues with it.  In no particular order....

NOTE - I charged the battery for 3 hours upon arrival before using it.  I then updated the firmware to 5.90 before any configuration.

-  I created a shortcut for screen lock toggle and configured it as a double press on the power button.  It worked for half a day, then I went for a test hike and it no longer worked.  Upon inspection of the Configure Keys > Power Key > Double Tap showed none.  It simply vanished.

- I purchased a Garmin Tempe ANT sensor with the unit.  I successfully added the new sensor and added a widget for it.  It worked fine initially then disappeared and would not connect.  I went to ANT Sensor > and discovered the Tempe Sensor was set to "off".  Upon manually turning it on, 50% of the time it would connect, but the other 50% it would stay stuck on searching.   I purchased a new Energizer 2032 and had the same behavior.  The same behavior occurred after a few power on/off attempts.  Sometimes it would connect and sometimes it would not.

-WiFi issues - I connected this unit and registered it to my connect account and setup the WiFi.  Similar behavior as the ANT Tempe Sensor.  About 50% of the time it would not connect.  I have only ever associated this with one SSID.  After a reboot it stays on "searching" most of the time.

- Garmin Express and Connect Android app - I loaded some apps and widgets on the device.  When I try to manage them, sometimes the apps do not appear as though they are not installed.  They are, however, on the device.  This was repeatable behavior.

-  I did both a reset from the 1) settings menu > all setttings, and 2) master reset holding the user button with power press.  This was the recommended course of action from the place of purchase.  This was attempt to see if this would fix my issues.  I have just done this, and am working through the above, but I was surprised to see my old items still there - like the apps, widgets and screen lock toggle shortcut I created.  Shouldn't erase all settings.... .be erase all settings and set back to factory fresh?

They offered to exchange the unit for me, but wanted to check in to see if there is something I should try before going down that path.   This is not typical behavior for this device correct?   Perhaps I have a bad unit, and will likely try another, but if this is typical I will exchange it for the 66sr.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice and feedback.

Edited by SpinRay

Wow.

Not typical for the device. The Oregon 7x0 is a very mature and very stable and reliable device.

Some of your issues I suspect may be a result of changing profiles during use, as many settings and configurations are profile dependent.

More info at GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Setup > Activities. and GPSrChive > How To... > Profiles.

As for managing Connect IQ apps and widgets, you should be using the Connect IQ Store app (iOS/Android), not Garmin Express (PC/Mac) or Connect (iOS/Android).

More info at GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Applications > Connect IQ. and GPSrChive > How To... > Connect IQ.

@Atlas Cached  Thank you for the reply.  I did not change profiles and only some test hikes.  I would not think the screen lock feature disappearing from the power button double press in any event.   The ANT Tempe device disappearing did not make sense either.  That same sensor worked fine with with my Venu and has not dropped yet.  The reset/erase leaving my apps installed was a head scratcher as well....

I spoke to GPS store  technical support and we tried a few things.   More weirdness was discovered, and he recommended I swap the unit.  It will be here tomorrow and I will give it a go.  TheGPSstore has been pretty helpful about the whole thing.

Quick questions that I will move to another thread if necessary, about the trip computer app.  Should It be there by default on the 750t?  I discovered it from reading the gpschrive site.  I had to manually add the application.   It was frustrating when I kept reading about it, but could not find it - LOL.  

Lastly do most prefer the Activity Menu or Classic Menu?  I actually like the idea of a hike activity that seems to be missing in the classic menu - but I understand you can create it.  I suppose if you got used to the classic menu from the 600 you would/may prefer it.

Thanks

21 hours ago, SpinRay said:

Quick questions that I will move to another thread if necessary, about the trip computer app.  Should It be there by default on the 750t?  I discovered it from reading the gpschrive site.  I had to manually add the application.   It was frustrating when I kept reading about it, but could not find it - LOL.  

The Trip Computer page is always available regardless of profile selected, however, it may not always be included on a main menu page or drawer. This is the beauty of being able to use different profiles - You can include just the apps you want to use and none of the others to keep the user interface as clean as possible. Should you find that any specific app is not available where you want it, you can add it, and you can remove apps that are not desired just the same!

If you were unable to find it initially, it is only because it was not included by default for the profile you had selected. You can modify any of the original profiles as desired, or you can create your own from scratch. None of them are more or less capable than any other, they are simply a way to call up a specific set of settings and page configurations quickly and easily.

See GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Setup > Main Menu for 'Main Menu' and 'Drawer' configuration information.

See GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Setup > Activities for 'Profile' configuration information.

See GPSrChive > How To... > Profiles for additional 'Profile' configuration information.

Edited by Atlas Cached
19 hours ago, SpinRay said:

Lastly do most prefer the Activity Menu or Classic Menu?  I actually like the idea of a hike activity that seems to be missing in the classic menu - but I understand you can create it.  I suppose if you got used to the classic menu from the 600 you would/may prefer it.

The Activity Mode is something Garmin included to attract more 'athletes' to the product as it simulates traditional sportswear UI operation.

The 'Classic Mode' is essentially how all modern Garmin Outdoor Recreation GPSr have always operated.

Which you prefer is up to you. Some features and functions may be more difficult to find in one mode compared to the other, while some will be easier. It all just depends on how you use the device and what works best for you.

See GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Operation > Activity Mode for additional detailed information.

19 hours ago, SpinRay said:

I spoke to GPS store  technical support and we tried a few things.   More weirdness was discovered, and he recommended I swap the unit.  It will be here tomorrow and I will give it a go.

More than 90% of the problems most people experience are nothing more than user error, which is a little harsh, as it usually just boils down to them not being familiar with how the device operates.

If you do all of the same things to the second device as you did with the first, you will likely find yourself back in the same place. The trick is to learn why it does what it does, and how to configure the settings and profiles to your liking, a process that will require weeks of use before all features and functions can truly be mastered.

@Atlas Cached  So - I appreciate your 90% comment as I work in IT and one the other end of "why is the Wi-Fi is slow..."    I just received the new unit and will report my findings.  I am charging it before making and configurations or settings.

However,  I do not believe user error cannot explain how the double power press for screen lock disappeared after a reboot, more than once.  Also - why erasing the unit... did not erase my apps and factory reset it.  Why the ANT sensor works with my Venu, but not the Oregon....    

To be clear - I did not create any profiles and used the device as default.  I only tried to connect my ANT Tempe sensor, connect to WiFi, and setup a short cut to lock the screen....   and the erratic behavior began.  I did not switch into the "classic" mode until after these problems had repeated themselves two or three times.

Do those things sound like they are core to the device or tied to a profile?  Just trying to understand.  The double press power button is not a global option?

Cay you clarify this?   "it was not included by default for the profile you had selected"  Again, I did not knowingly select any profiles.  I do not see this page - "See GPSrChive > How To... > Profiles for additional 'Profile' configuration information."  Is it not on the Oregon 7x0 page?  When you mean "profile" do you mean workout or activity where you can customize the device?  When I hear "profile" I think user profile that would have specific apps/activities.  Are you always in some kind of profile?  If so, I did not realize the main menu items (default pwr button press) would vary if you were in hike or bike "profile".  

I would fully expect it to take time to determine the nuances of what data fields on the various screens that work best for me.  Garmin products have always allowed a level of "tweaking" that is really great.  

I will honesty report back on "if I am back in the same place".   If I am in the same place,  then it is not the device for me.  My initial 3 issues - 1) shortcut disappearing, 2) intermittent ANT/Wi-Fi behavior, and failure to erase/reset seem like problems and not user error.

Thank you for your feedback and help.  You are a credit to the community.

Edited by SpinRay
clarity
22 minutes ago, SpinRay said:

Cay you clarify this?   "it was not included by default for the profile you had selected"  Again, I did not knowingly select any profiles.  I do not see this page - "See GPSrChive > How To... > Profiles for additional 'Profile' configuration information."  Is it not on the Oregon 7x0 page?  When you mean "profile" do you mean workout or activity where you can customize the device?  When I hear "profile" I think user profile that would have specific apps/activities.  Are you always in some kind of profile?  If so, I did not realize the main menu items (default pwr button press) would vary if you were in hike or bike "profile".  

The GPSrChive 'How To...' page is not part of the 'Oregon 7x0' page, it is a General 'How To Use Your Garmin GPSr' page that applies to all devices, and is linked from the GPSrChive home page.

1. Open GPSrChive home page.

2. Now select 'How To...'.

3. Then select 'Profiles'.

Most of your questions can be answered there. Yes, you are always in a 'Profile', which newer devices refer to as 'Activities' (which just created more confusion for many users that already knew what an 'activity' recording was, and what a 'Profile' was, but Garmin insisted on mucking it up....)

Additional Activity information is also available at GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Applications > Activity Change (forgot to mention this one earlier)

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, SpinRay said:

I hope Atlas Cached's links above the FAQs helps with that.

My 750 arrived in the new "Activity Mode" (where each "activity" has its own giant icon page).  I tried that for a while, then switched to "Classic Mode" which is where you can switch between Profiles using a menu icon, more familiar to me, more like the previous Oregon models.  I also noticed that if setting up shortcuts, the selected "Mode" affects how you set them up.  I wanted to make a button-press shortcut to quickly switch between "Profiles" (or "Activities", depending on which Mode it would be), and I couldn't figure out any way to create the button and get it to function.

But I also learned a while ago that "Profiles" (which are whole sets of saved settings) can be easily saved, and copied and cloned.  They're ordinary computer files.  I have a Geocaching Profile, and a CachingCar Profile.  The only difference being the routing setting, the menu icons in view on the first screen, and the Small Fields on certain screens. 

When I switched to Activity Mode, I tried having only those two Activities/Profiles available, all the others deleted or hidden.  I actually don't like a giant screen showing a "hiker", I prefer a bunch of useful stuff on screen.  Personal preference.

Anyway, one big decision is Classic Mode, or Activity Mode.  It makes a big difference with how the device displays most everything.  Maybe it would be good to try Geocaching in each Mode, before customizing anything.  See which one you'll use most.

Edited by kunarion

@Atlas Cached"Please see GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > FAQ > #1 before doing anything more."  

Yes did this straight away with this and the first unit.  Although some steps did not apply.

@kunarion Thank you for the profile clarification and info.  I will play around with both modes - but I suspect I will lean toward the classic screen.  Especially since I can customize my own.  I can just create my own "hike" activity / profile, if I have that right.   Good advice on the try both and see.  I have yet to load my account info and even try that activity/profile.   How did you setup your screen lock toggle shortcut, assuming you have one?  Again - thank you for explain your preference on the classic / activity preference.  Your experience is very valuable in helping me know what to look for.

Some update with the new unit - the RF performance if defiantly different.  After power cycling, and staying in the same profile, "hike" the Wi-Fi, BT, and ANT all hooked up almost immediately after power cycle.  Everting happens much faster.  The screen toggle shortcut has remained so far as well.  I will keep working with it.

So - I have been experimenting in classic mode.  What is really confusing is that the "activity change" button is not available in all activates.    For example I was in the hike activity and switched to "fish"  I tried to find "activity change" in the drawer, but it was not there.  Seems like every activity/profile should have a way get out of it or change easily... no?  I realize I can add it or create a shortcut for it.  Just somewhat confusing or there is a strategy there I don't get.

Setup Best Practices?

@Atlas Cached Thank you very much for all the links.   I have been on that site a great deal and find it very helpful.  It certainly shows the how, perhaps not so much the why.

@kunarion Thank you for sharing some of you setup.  It certainly helps me realizing what my options are, and more importantly how experienced users have their units setup.

Do either of you have advice for potential best practices?  I understand everyone will use there differently so one size does not fit all.... but there are certain things, in my opinion, that make sense daily use.  I think and hope experienced users can share their journey to help others.  I am not trying to cheat the process, but it does not make sense to reinvent the wheel as so to speak.   I am hoping it will not take months to get up and running with the 750T in a competent fashion. 

I suspect may experienced users have gone to the classic mode and put an "activity change" button on the main "activitie/profile" main screen.  

I will probably use the Hike, Cycle Touring, and Geocaching features the most.  Does it make sense to simply customize the main pages with a an "activity change" button?  I suppose I could expand it and have a direct shortcut to each.  I like the menu idea best.

Are there any other setup best practices that you wish you would have done when just getting started?  

note:  -  my 2nd units behavior has been as expected and much better.  The RF - Wi-Fi, BT, and ANT has been consistent.  I even tempted fate and factory reset the unit - it worked as expected.  All-in-all I am very pleased and looking to putting many miles on this!

A sincere thank you to Atlas and kunarion.  (my kids love your avatar!)   Your input has been very helpful indeed!  Thanks in advance to any/all help.