Magellan eXplorist GC

eyetreasure

Why did they change the send to -> Garmin gps??? I have a perfectly good Magellan that was awesome to geocache with, now its just another electronic laying around.

I have downloaded EasyGPS and to no avail no luck. This has ruined geocaching for my friends and family. I dont know why they had to change something that was easy and fast to work with.

I have the geocaching app on my phone and that too lags. Very disappointed.

You received answers in your previous thread on this topic. To go into more detail, the browser-plug-ins that the device manufacturers wrote and that you are referring to relied on a technology that was not secure and that browsers stopped supporting a couple of years ago. As they no longer worked, Geocaching HQ had to remove them from the web site. We reached out to Garmin for a replacement and they provided one, although it can only work with later models. Magellan never responded and no longer makes and supports handheld models.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 4

If you bought the Magellan new, it came with a disc, on that disc is a geocaching module (terrible), you can load from Geocaching  to it, and from it to your gps.

Other options, GSAK will take gpx files from Geocaching.com and munge them into form that your Magellan will accept, as will GPS Babel.  You'll find both with web search.

• Helpful 1

You can still download the ".gpx" file on any webpage, or as a premium member run a Pocket Query.

You can take those files and just dump them into the two appropriate folders on your GC.

Works fine. Don't have to combine them or massage them at all.

Just separate the files into the "gpx" and the other one for waypoints ("wpt"? I forget.) 

On 4/6/2021 at 5:24 PM, TeamRabbitRun said:

You can still download the ".gpx" file on any webpage, or as a premium member run a Pocket Query.

You can take those files and just dump them into the two appropriate folders on your GC.

Works fine. Don't have to combine them or massage them at all.

Just separate the files into the "gpx" and the other one for waypoints ("wpt"? I forget.) 

OK that is great to hear.  I just picked up a Magellan 610 second hand but unused in the box.  I had a Garmin in the past and was used to working with GPX files.  

No issue there except when I plug my Magellan in - I cannot see it on my PC.  The message on the handheld says it's connected and flashes 'waiting for GPX' or something but when download the GPX, I cannot find the GPS  in my file structure on my PC.  Is there a switch or a hidden file I have to tweak?

Thanks

OK Cancel last.  Did an update and gave my PC a kick and now it is working. Extracted the Zip into the Geocache folder then cut the '.wpts' file over to the waypoint folder.

Thank you - a bit of a pita but back to geocaching.

• Upvote 1