Should we buy the Garmin etrex 32x or gpsmap 64sx

Snoedels

Hello everyone,

We recently started geocaching again with a friend of ours.

At the moment we just use our phone to geoache, but we would like to upgrade to a walking gps.

We tried the gpsmap 62s this weekend, and we liked it very much.

After reading a lot of reviews, I am still doubting between 2 devices.

We can get the Garmin etrex 32x for €144.

Advantages: 25h battery, preloaded topomaps of europe, electronic compass

We can also buy the gpsmap 64sx for €200.

Advantages: electronic compass, faster scrolling and zooming, great antenna. 

I'm scared that the etrex 32x is slower than the gpsmap 64sx and that it will bother us.

I also couldn't find anything about the difference in accuracy for these 2 devices.

We geocache about 1 time per week, and we also love to go walking long naturewalks. 

Is there anyone who can help us decide wich gps to get with geocaching in mind?

Afraid, I can’t really help with comparing these particular devices, though I hear that the GPSMAP’s antenna does make a difference.  (Of course, that’s no guarantee it will be any easier to find a cache!)

I wouldn’t take preloaded maps into account though.  1. They are unlikely to be detailed enough to be of much use.  2. You can easily get free OSM maps for download anyway.

They came out about the same time. The 64sx also has routable topo maps. It has a bigger screen but fewer pixels. Neither is touchscreen. Battery life on the 64sx is not advertised to be as long as on the 32x.

Have you tried an eTrex model before? Do you have a preference between a joystick and buttons on the side (etrex) or rocker and buttons on the front (GPSmap)?

Ultimately, it may come down to which you like more. If you liked the older model GPSMap a lot, perhaps you should go for the GPSMap 64x if you can afford it. That would be better than saving money but not getting something you liked as much.