How do I adopt a cache?

Cach5737

If the current CO is offering you to take over their caches, then you don't really need to do anything to the caches, other than just the same maintenance you would need to do if you had placed the caches yourself.

What I would do is check for how far away the caches are from your home location, so that you know how far you will need to travel if (when) a cache needs maintenance. It may also be a good idea to read down the old logs to see how often the caches needed maintenance (such as getting muggled or being claimed by the elements) in the past, to get an idea if you will need to do a lot of runs out to that cache.

If it isn't going to be an issue for you to maintain the caches, then once you adopt them you can do almost anything you want with them - from from almost nothing other than maintenance to completely re-doing the caches (other than changing the type). Although, just because you can does not mean that you should. Some people don't like when the D/T rating on a cache changes too much.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Cach5737 said:

I have the opportunity to "adopt" one or more established caches from someone moving out of the area. 

I'd like to know what's involved before making a decision.  For example, what, if any, changes could I make to the container? Thank You.

What's involved is simply having the Cache Owner offer it up to you for Adoption.

You can do pretty-much anything you'd like but change the cache type.  Too many "changes" though, and is it really the same cache anymore ?

Is the container most of the reason you'd like to adopt it, or is it the awesome location ?  Thanks.  :)  

Do you feel you "need" to replace a container right away ?  

If "established" means old and not simply just published, and the container is original, that has a lot of bearing on it's worth to adopt.  

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Cach5737 said:

I have the opportunity to "adopt" one or more established caches from someone moving out of the area.  I'd like to know what's involved before making a decision.  For example, what, if any, changes could I make to the container? Thank You.

After the adoption, you own the cache. You are responsible for maintaining the cache, just any other cache owner is. That can include replacing the container.

The cache I adopted needed a new container after the old one was vandalized. I took the opportunity to build a different camouflaged container that blended into the area better. But the point of the cache was the location, so changing the container was no big deal.

For other caches I've found, the container (or the camouflage) can be the point of the cache. I especially enjoy "hidden in plain sight" camouflaged containers. For something like that, I would only replace the container with something similar.

But ultimately, it's up to you. You'll be the new owner.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Cach5737 said:

Thanks, that helps.  Would I have any flexibility with the location and, if so, how much?  

A CO can move their own cache up to a tenth of a mile, and even further with the help of a reviewer.

The question is should you?

If the experience is essentially unchanged, e.g. moving a cache from the base of one tree to another 10 m away, then no one would bat an eye.

Similarly, a clever gadget cache placed in an ‘insignificant’ location could probably be moved further without upsetting anyone.  The experience here is all about the container; it doesn’t matter much which side of the field it’s been placed.

Moving a cache from the base of a tree into its branches, however, changes the experience completely.  Even moving a tree climb from one tree to another, could be a significant change.

Loads of grey in between...  Good luck. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 3/23/2021 at 12:49 AM, Cach5737 said:

I have the opportunity to "adopt" one or more established caches from someone moving out of the area. 

I'd like to know what's involved before making a decision.  For example, what, if any, changes could I make to the container? Thank You.

6 hours ago, Cach5737 said:

Would I have any flexibility with the location and, if so, how much?  

Is there anything you liked about the cache you want to adopt ?    :laughing:

• Upvote 2

I suggest you ask the CO directly about what changes, if any, they'd be willing for you to make on what used to be their cache (which includes the cache page).  If they don't care, then it's free game to change up whatever you want.  They may have some specific things they want to remain the same or they may not want you to change anything.  Even though they are my caches now, I still don't feel right altering anything too much from what it was like when I adopted all of them.  I think it's because they were someone else's "creation" before they were mine.

On most of the caches I've adopted, I've managed to keep everything pretty much the same, with a couple exceptions due to muggling and one I returned to the original container and size (it was a decon when I adopted it but the original container was an ammo can).  One of the other things we talked about upon adopting it was if they ever got back into geocaching, then they might want it back, including one that was adopted out previously (I'm now the third CO).  It's never happened and I don't expect it to, but the understanding we had is still there.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, coachstahly said:

Even though they are my caches now, I still don't feel right altering anything too much from what it was like when I adopted all of them.  I think it's because they were someone else's "creation" before they were mine.

Exactly.  Simple respect, demonstrating the value of another person's contributions.  

• Upvote 4

When a geocacher passes away, their caches (and listings on Geocaching.com) become property of their estate.  A family member or other authorized representative of the estate can contact Geocaching HQ via the Help Center, and can provide instructions regarding the disposition of the cache listings - archive, adopt or keep as-is.  Absent such instructions, in general an adoption of a deceased geocacher's cache pages to another geocacher is not possible.

• Helpful 1