All my Lists Disappeared!

51MarLin

Yesterday I had 47 Lists, today when I go to Lists I get a message saying: "You have not created a List yet."

I've tried logging out and back in - no change. This is on a PC and I've used 3 different browsers - all show the same. Note that "Favorites" show my list of Favorites. "Ignored Geocaches" is empty but I've never added any to this list.

On my Android phone the only lists that appear are the 6 that I had previously downloaded.

How do I get my lists back!

• Upvote 1

It appears that you bulk deleted all of your lists on the 18th at around 11:20 (not sure of the time zone but suspect it is Pacific Time), as they all show a deletion time stamp within a couple of seconds of that. You will need to write in to the Help Center (see https://www.geocaching.com/help and click on the "Contact us" section at the bottom) and ask to have them restored. That could unfortunately take a while, as it requires a dev to go into the database and "undelete" the records.

• Helpful 2

If, as you say, they were bulk deleted on the 18th - how come on the 20th and 21st they were still there. On the 20th I was doing some planning for a day of geocaching and yesterday (the "day") I downloaded 2 lists to my phone. I know I had to select them from a large number (47 as I remember) of other lists to download. So that doesn't make any sense. FYI, I'm on the East coast. Also I have contacted the help center and I have received one question from hem about the issue - so far - but no progress. I will send the request about restoring them.

BTW, how do you "bulk delete" lists? Just so I can stay away from that.

• Upvote 2

If you saw 40+ lists on the 20th and 21st, I suspect that they were cached somehow. Where were you viewing them? I show that a total of 1952 archived items in 52 lists were last edited around 11:20 on 3/18.

Bulk deletion (typically done these days via API) is possibly not what happened. As I look at the timestamps for editing on the list items deleted from your lists, the ones on each list have essentially identical timestamps (indicated that they were done all at once), but the timestamps for the lists themselves are about 3-5 seconds apart. That pattern would seem to indicate someone manually going through the lists and deleting them one-by-one.

On the 20th I know I added caches to 2 lists (from GSAK). I could see the lists on my PC through a web browser, on my Android Phone through the Geocaching App and on my wife's iPhone through the Geocaching App.

I just found the culprit, my wife thought she was deleting them from her phone, she did not realize that they were in the cloud. She did this today, 3/22, in the AM.

So that mystery is solved, now I hope the Help Center people can restore them. Thanks for your help!

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately my wife is a little tech challenged. She had no idea what the consequences of what she was doing would be. On the one hand my lists definitely needed a deep cleaning, and, if needed, I can use GSAK to re-create my needed lists without a lot of work. 

1 hour ago, 51MarLin said:

On the 20th I know I added caches to 2 lists (from GSAK). I could see the lists on my PC through a web browser, on my Android Phone through the Geocaching App and on my wife's iPhone through the Geocaching App.

I just found the culprit, my wife thought she was deleting them from her phone, she did not realize that they were in the cloud. She did this today, 3/22, in the AM.

So that mystery is solved, now I hope the Help Center people can restore them. Thanks for your help!

I just knew this was going to be a great story!!

• Funny 1

Keystone, 

While she doesn't share my enthusiasm, she does enjoy going out with me. And I enjoy it when she does come along. We both like to combine hiking with caching and are lucky we live in an area (rural NH) where it's easy to do. Losing the lists is a very minor thing.

Marc

• Upvote 1