Challenge Checker

Jaki-Worthing

Hello All,

We are planning a challenge cache for finding all the 16 regions of Germany and wonder if there is a checker we could use to enable cachers to check if they qualify.

If not available we can always request photo proof.. But we were just trying to make it a little easier for finders.

Thanks in advance

Kim

• Funny 1
3 minutes ago, Jaki-Worthing said:

If not available we can always request photo proof.. But we were just trying to make it a little easier for finders.

Actually, no, you can't request photo proof. From the Help Center page Challenge caches:

"Challenge cache pages must include a link to a web-based challenge checker. See this Help Center article for more information about challenge checker requirements."

• Helpful 1
30 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Normally I use Certitude.

But you can also rely on Project GC / Tools / Challenge Checkers, by instance.

I thought new challenge caches had to use a Project-GC checker. The Help Centre certainly implies that...

Challenge caches published after April 21, 2015, must include a link to a Project-GC challenge checker. This requirement is ongoing for the life of the cache page. Visit Project-GC’s FAQ to learn how challenge checkers work and how to create one.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Jaki-Worthing said:

Hello All,

We are planning a challenge cache for finding all the 16 regions of Germany and wonder if there is a checker we could use to enable cachers to check if they qualify.

Thanks in advance

Kim

Finders do not need to prove anything.

• For cache pages published after April 21, 2015 with a challenge checker, the owner can confirm the finder's qualification with the checker when the cache is logged as found. No further documentation is required from the finder.

Normally, you should make such requests in the Project-GC Forum (you should probably do this from now on.)

However, as a courtesy, I've gone ahead and set up a Challenge checker requiring one physical/event geocache find in each of the sixteen different states of Germany; it is available at https://project-gc.com/Challenges//59505. If you'd like to change this (ie. no events) do let me know. Note that you will need to tell me the GC code of the cache before publication so that I can finish setting up the Challenge checker.

Edited by Hügh
  • Upvote 1

Hello Hügh,

Thanks so much for your advice...This is our first ever mystery/challenge cache so we are completely green in this respect.

We shall in future go via Project GC forum. We also will need one for all of Ireland regions but we will post that request there.

So this is perfect... Ok so now we must ask how do we embed this to the page...is it just a matter of copying/downloading the source code and then paste it to the page as you would do for an image.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Kim

(later half of Jaki)

14 hours ago, Jaki-Worthing said:

Are you placing this cache close to home (i.e. in UK)?  I’ve honestly no idea how many locals will qualify, but you may be asked...

From the Help Centre:

A challenge cache needs to appeal to and be attainable by a reasonable number of cachers. Your reviewer may ask for a list of cachers from your area who qualify.

13 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

Are you placing this cache close to home (i.e. in UK)?  I’ve honestly no idea how many locals will qualify, but you may be asked...

From the Help Centre:

A challenge cache needs to appeal to and be attainable by a reasonable number of cachers. Your reviewer may ask for a list of cachers from your area who qualify.

Ah... We had not thought of that...Mmmmmm

Maybe a bit more research before we go any further forward...that's a real shame...thought we had a good one there..

41 minutes ago, Jaki-Worthing said:

Ok so now we must ask how do we embed this to the page...is it just a matter of copying/downloading the source code and then paste it to the page as you would do for an image.

No, the script is running on the project-gc server, all you have to do is to provide a link to the checker at project-gc

2 hours ago, Jaki-Worthing said:

how do we embed this to the page...

On the checker page, https://project-gc.com/Challenges//59505   right side, click "link". Three forms of the link are offered. Use one of them. If the checker is correct, you can simply "clone" it yourself, ie use your cache page gccode so that the checker is correct to your page.

Yes, you should be able to offer some cachers local to your challenge who qualify or are near to qualifying. Run the names of some locals through the checker. See if you can produce some who qualify or are near.  

Consider what sort of travel restrictions exist now, Ie, if I don't quite qualify, can I actually make this trip at this time?   This may be an okay idea, but it may to wait.

I live in Florida, SE USA. There are challenges here to find caches in Bundesländer https://coord.info/GC83M4X

As well as all Canadian Provinces,  and other travel required challenges.  Enough locals do that travel to make those publishable.