Should I take TBs to another place far away, like when I am on vacation, and back just so they get mileage?

CAPTAINVALPO96

1 minute ago, CAPTAINVALPO96 said:

Should I take TBs to another place far away, like when I am on vacation, and back just so they get mileage?

How often do you go on far away vacations?  If you'll be holding a TB instead of placing it, be sure that's the mission, or at least that it's OK with the Owner.  AND keep the Owner updated on the plan.  If you were "taking it far in three weeks", and that never happens, don't keep the TB Owner guessing.  Note that although an Owner may agree to your request to hang onto it for extended time, that's a whole lot different from the expectation that a TB is placed promptly into a cache, so that it can travel and be placed into another cache.  So make the payoff worth the wait to the Owner.  Some of my TBs were "going to X in a few weeks", a few years ago, and not heard from since.  :rolleyes:

Other than that, sure.  It's nice to add mileage to peoples' TBs.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I always log my cache finds in the website because it is way easier to log TBs that way. I wish they would add that to the app. I had a TB in my hands for maybe 3 week before my Arizona trip I took recently (my 2nd vacation out of state as a geocacher) and it was dropped there. I also found a new TB placed in a cache that had a goal of being by candy factories and so I checked with the owner and took it to Arizona and back. And I DID place it in the exact same cache so it would have added on mileage. Is this ok to do on future trips?

56 minutes ago, Mausebiber said:

Sure, why not.

Maybe you want to read the goal of the TB, maybe the TB wants to travel around the world, then I would drop it in a cache while on vacation.

You also can contact the TB owner and ask about his preference.

I have seen a TB on the app that was near. It had a goal of visiting a town about 1 hour’s drive away and return to Minnesota (I live close to there), but I couldn’t make that 2 hours of driving so I left it alone. There was also a few TBs on that vacation I just discovered instead of taking away from it’s goal. Make sense?

2 hours ago, CAPTAINVALPO96 said:

Unless your vacation destination is actually taking the TB away from its mission, I’d leave the cache there rather than bringing it back.  (Assuming of course that you do actually find a suitable cache to drop it in.)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 3/19/2021 at 7:36 AM, TriciaG said:

...be sure to take pictures to add to the TB's visit logs!

Yes definitely, though I would add that many logs will add the image to the cache, but not add the image to the TB. I think this is an oversight and shouldn't be hard to fix in the coding but I've noticed that when I log a Retrieve / Drop that the photos are added to the cache log but not the TB. I've gotten into the habit of adding a Note on the TB itself in order to make sure the photo ends up attached to the TB as well. 

26 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

Yes definitely, though I would add that many logs will add the image to the cache, but not add the image to the TB. I think this is an oversight and shouldn't be hard to fix in the coding but I've noticed that when I log a Retrieve / Drop that the photos are added to the cache log but not the TB. I've gotten into the habit of adding a Note on the TB itself in order to make sure the photo ends up attached to the TB as well. 

I feel this is one of those "everything doesn't have to be on the app..." things.    :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1