Simple GPS App, Input known L&L

All members of the group would be using both apple and android phones.  I have a GPS unit and have hunted caches for twenty years but hope to hook some local seniors on the hobby.  I have placed some caches on private land, with owner knowledge.  At present they are not available on the internet, hence the need to hunt knowing the coordinates.

19 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Selecting any cache on the map with the official free app, you can add any coords as a New Waypoint and then, simply Navigate to reach them.

I was thinking of suggesting the same thing, except there's the added complication of everyone needing to sign up for a Geocaching account... people who aren't familiar with Geocaching with a phone.  And not knowing which specific phones, we don't even know if all the phones have suitable capability.

Someone with a "GPS unit" might better "hook" people by letting them try the GPS unit B).  Not everyone enjoys Geocaching with "a phone".  I sure don't.

But if there's the extra time to get Apps installed, without the need to "sign up" to a site first, try "Spyglass" on Android and iPhone:   https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.happymagenta.spyglass&hl=en_US&gl=US

The free version allows typing coordinates, and shows direction and distance.  As with any "App" plan, you will need to show people how to use it.  Of course Apps are a little different between OS.

But they can install the Official App, run it with just their chosen username and email address (no "authorization" needed) and use it to find any custom GPS point.  If the idea is they may join anyway, now they have a decent start.  It's "simple", but you still need to help everyone set it all up and show them how to use custom waypoints.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2