Hiding an image from the gallery (of my cache)

sapien

I ran into some technical issues when I tried to post this before so this may be a duplicate post.  Please ignore and remove this one if it is.

Thanks.

================================

Hi there - I'm trying to put out a cache that has a picture but I want the picture to be a surprise so that people only see it when they click on the right link.  However when I upload the picture to the actual cache, it shows up in the gallery and is listed at the bottom of the description as well.  I don't want it to be visible there (or anywhere else ideally).  Is there a "official" solution to hiding the picture somehow?

As far as I know you're not allowed to use 3rd party hosting sites any more so I didn't even bother trying.  I've also read some forum posts that talk about adding the picture to an archived cache instead and then using a link for it in my new cache but my concern is the picture is still "visible" in that archived cache.  People could come across it accidentally there (or maybe on purpose).

Is there any other options out there or is there a setting somewhere that hides pictures from the gallery and the cache description listing?  I was thinking about maybe loading the picture into my unpublished archived cache because, as far as I know, no one else can see those caches, but I can't edit those archived caches to add any pictures.  Plus I'm not sure if the website will allow other people to see those pictures anyways.  ie I'd be able to see the picture because I have rights or permissions to my unpublished caches but no one else does.

I also considered loading pictures via a Reviewer Note on my new cache and linking to them from there.  Those Reviewer Notes get "removed" when the cache is published but do any pictures associated to those logs get deleted too?  Or would the links keep working?  It's hard to test all these things out obviously so I'm hoping someone knows the more official way of doing this.  I don't want to implement something that may suddenly break a few years later either when GS changes a policy, like the 3rd party hosting thing.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

You can upload the picture to your cache. Then create/remember the link to your picture and then delete the picture from your cachepage.

The picture will still be there, and you can use the link to show the picture. It will not show up in the gallery.

Since there are a LOT of caches where the pictures have been removed from the gallery, they can not delete these pictures without messing up a lot of caches.

• Helpful 1
41 minutes ago, Kalkendotters said:

You can upload the picture to your cache. Then create/remember the link to your picture and then delete the picture from your cachepage.

The picture will still be there, and you can use the link to show the picture. It will not show up in the gallery.

Since there are a LOT of caches where the pictures have been removed from the gallery, they can not delete these pictures without messing up a lot of caches.

YES!  Woo hoo!  This appears to work.  I was wondering the same thing but I've tested it now and it looks like I'm good to go.  Thank you for your (prompt) help. :-)