Logs without photos

Ariberna

I think I have visits of the same user. Simãopwr? He logged at least two of my waymarks in Sweden and one in Austria with the very same day and only 1 or 2 words, but without photos.

He has been a geocacher for years and seems to be a new Waymarking user and he probably doesn't understand the Waymarking rules yet. I will also email him with a personal mail and explain everything to him once more.

Usually I don't delete this kind of visits, unless the visitor obviously logged a visit by accident (if for example my waymark has a similar name as the waymark that was actually visited). But whenever I delete a waymark I send an email earlier to give the user the chance to explain or correct the mistake.

On 3/16/2021 at 3:05 AM, Max and 99 said:

What I personally do is delete all logs that do require a photo or specific visit requirement. If the category states a photo is not required then I do not delete that one. But I think it is certainly reasonable to delete them all.  I wish all categories required a photo. 

Most categories have specific rules for posting visits as they do for posting new waymarks.  Follow the rules and the visit doesn't get deleted.

One of the reasons Waymarking started was too much armchair geocaching on locationless and virtual caches.  

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
21 minutes ago, iconions said:

Most categories have specific rules for posting visits as they do for posting new waymarks.  Follow the rules and the visit doesn't get deleted.

That's part of what I just now emailed to him and another user of a similar kind. My guess is that they neither read the visit instructions (or don't take them too serious), nor the forums. So, a personal note should maybe help and if they don't react on that, I will send another mail via geocaching.com.

• Upvote 1
On 3/18/2021 at 3:33 PM, PISA-caching said:

That's part of what I just now emailed to him and another user of a similar kind. My guess is that they neither read the visit instructions (or don't take them too serious), nor the forums. So, a personal note should maybe help and if they don't react on that, I will send another mail via geocaching.com.

I think that they do with awareness because they logged one or two of each country.

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

This is my worry with the upcoming Mingo Madness. It's just Waymarking, not geocaching, so nobody cares if I follow the rules, right?

hmmm....  yea, me being the leader of the Kansas Historical Markers and knowing that this historical marker will be the secondary focus of the event - this nobody will probably care....  :)  Just sayin'....

• Helpful 1

I just deleted logs from two of my waymarks where the guy pulled the pictures off the internet...  I HATE people who pass others work off as their own.  Upsets me to no end what lengths some will do for a stupid number - dang, if you don't have the requirements, don't post the waymark or the visit.  Lord knows how many waymarks and visits I have had to eat because I didn't get the exact correct pictures....  Yes, I put on significant weight because of it - LOL

• Funny 1
  • Love 1
On 2/20/2023 at 4:10 AM, Max and 99 said:

No photo is required, regardless of the category visit requirement, if the waymark visit is for a scavenger hunt. 

This ^^^ is incorrect.  Many categories REQUIRE a photo, though apparently a handful don't.  

On 3/18/2021 at 10:06 AM, iconions said:

This ^^^ is 100% correct and the right way to respond.

2 minutes ago, The Blue Quasar said:

This ^^^ is incorrect.  Many categories REQUIRE a photo, though apparently a handful don't.  

This ^^^ is 100% correct and the right way to respond.

Wrong again. It states it right on the wamarking scavenger hunt FAQs:

Do I have to post a photo with my visit logs?

No, but it is highly encouraged. A good picture makes a waymark come alive, as well as gives you something to reminisce over as you look back on the hunts you completed.

On 2/20/2023 at 8:39 AM, Max and 99 said:

The owner cannot require it for scavenger hunts.

Scavenger Hunts are completed by Visiting Waymarks.  Visiting Waymarks means meeting the logging criteria of the Waymark.  Photos are not a direct element of Scavenger Hunts because that aspect is captured in the Waymarks themselves.  Again, you are providing misinformation.

3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Wrong again. It states it right on the wamarking scavenger hunt FAQs:

Do I have to post a photo with my visit logs?

No, but it is highly encouraged. A good picture makes a waymark come alive, as well as gives you something to reminisce over as you look back on the hunts you completed.

Yet again, you are wrong.  It says so right on the Scavenger Hunt page

Scavenger Hunts

Waymarking scavenger hunts are sets of waymarks that are randomly selected for you based on criteria that you set up. The idea is to visit each of these waymarks, post a photo of you at the location, and then log your visit to get credit for each spot. If you successfully visit each waymark in the set, you will be given credit for having completed a set and will be credited on your profile page.

Gosh, would you look at that?!?!  No really, you should.... 

Just now, Max and 99 said:

You are not required to post a photo for a scavenger hunt visit. Period. 

Irrelevant.... while there may be conflicting statement in the description of Scavenger Hunts and their FAQ, the actual requirement to log a valid Visit to a Waymark still stand.  Those are the deciding factor when it comes to posting a photo.

• Helpful 1