Garmin Overlander - Can't Transfer Geocaches

53 minutes ago, Marcas_Found said:

Has anyone had any luck with transferring geocaches to a Garmin Overlander?  I've tried using The Garmin Explore website, the BaseCamp program, the geocaching.com transfer applications, and EasyGPS program.  Nothing seems to work.  I'm quite flummoxed....

Find out the process for deleting waypoints before loading a bahzillion caches into it.  I started Geocaching by loading a couple thousand caches into my car nav, and then found out I have to delete each one manually.   Plus there's an limit to the number of custom waypoints.  Be sure the loaded waypoint name is what you want to see on the screen.  Mine had GC Codes for waypoint names, so I had to cross-reference them.  Maybe load them as a separate filterable category -- you may not always want the map full of cache icons.

The manual says you use Poi Loader (or manually enter a few choice places).  You can load at least a small amount of text such as cache code or name, you won't need to fill a device with data that it can't display.  If you select parking areas, you can park in a cache-rich place and hike from there.  Then use a handheld GPS for the actual cache hunt upon arrival.  

If you're hunting a lot of caches on guard rails, where the cache is right at the road, see if you can create the POIs.  Typically all you need in that case is the Lat/Lon.  You still need a separate device (or notebook or something) to keep track of the Finds, DNFs, etc.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

I second the POI Loader.  You'll be following the same process as loading a Garmin Nuvi.  You won't be loading cache data onto it.  Instead, you'll be loading a POI layer, which you can then search for by name or tap on a POI (map point) to see information about that point, where you might be able to add a description.

The Overlander will not replace using either a handheld GPSr or a phone to locate a cache.  I've seen people try and succeed, but they're not meant for that and I believe the battery life on these isn't as great as you'd expect because the use case for these is to have them hooked up to the car most of the time.  (I could be wrong on that part.)

By the way, I use my handheld GPSr for regular and cache navigation in a vehicle.  When I was out in the desert one time, I met these cachers from Ohio.  They had a laptop mounted on something near the passenger seat, a GSPMAP 60 hooked up to the laptop, and a small screen hooked to the laptop and mounted to the car so the driver could see.  They used MapSource and output a live map to that small screen and the driver still asked people to count down the distance.  When I was allowed to drive, I asked for all that to be turned off and they didn't need to count for me.  I was able to stop next to the caches without too much trouble, meaning the others could spend more time looking out the window to spot the cache so they could guide me in if the coordinates were a little off.  This worked for me because it's my own method and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at what I do.  So the point is to each their own preference and method.

• Helpful 1