Paper Logbooks - inexpensive Logbooks to write in wet conditions

geovjw

Hi 
a question on Paper Logbooks

Can you name me some good sources for buying inexpensive Logbook to write in wet conditions.
Write on the Run, etc. other good quality writable papers that are waterproof etc. etc.

Thanks for hints and tips

Cheers
geovjw 

These, marketed here under the Tradie brand and produced by J. Burrows, are made from a waterproof stone-based paper and are proving popular in Australian caches.

nu: Tradie Waterproof Reporters Book A7 160 Page

The ones here come in a variety of metric sizes from A4 down to A7, the latter being most useful for small and regular sized caches. They're probably marketed under different brand names in other parts of the world but should be findable since they originate from China.

• Upvote 1

For underwater caches and rough environment caches instead of paper, I use the back of used plastic folders and write in the listing, that you need to bring a waterproof pen with you. Pencil or ballpoint pen are also ok. The plastic back can be cut into sheets of suitable size with a scissors. The pages can be stapled with a stapler. Not very pretty, but durable and cheap. If the rest of the cache is interesting, not a bad overall solution.

Greetings Johannis10

folder.jpg

Edited by Johannis10
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
7 hours ago, geovjw said:

a question on Paper Logbooks

Can you name me some good sources for buying inexpensive Logbook to write in wet conditions.
Write on the Run, etc. other good quality writable papers that are waterproof etc. etc.

Thanks for hints and tips

Do you mean Rite in the Rain ?   It's not waterproof, but a quick wipe and it's usually good to go again.  It's all we've used for caches.

We find our "good sources" are often last-minute (and no bids) on ebay and such. 

• Helpful 1
38 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Do you mean Rite in the Rain ?   It's not waterproof, but a quick wipe and it's usually good to go again.  It's all we've used for caches.

We find our "good sources" are often last-minute (and no bids) on ebay and such. 

Have you noticed it takes a relatively large container to fit the smallest standard "notebook" or "booklet"?  Sometimes very small ones pop up on ebay, but not waterproof.  And cutting up an existing notebook, that's cool and all, but I dunno.  I've seen some like that.

I've made custom tiny log books, using card stock for covers, loose paper for the pages, and stickers on the covers.  Even cut long booklets to fit 50ml vials.  I'm looking at copper staples and stainless steel that work in a standard stapler (ordinary staples rust in the humidity).  I have a few boxes of waterproof paper (Nat Geo and Rite-in-the-Rain), but don't use either, because of printer issues, and because each limits the selection of writing utensil.  And if the book is getting wet, it's getting moldy, so I don't need fancy paper for my caches anyway.  But it may be rather simple to use entirely Rite-in-the-Rain sheets or whatever, a straight-edge and an exacto knife, and make booklets to custom-fit a container.   

Edited by kunarion
47 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I have a few boxes of waterproof paper (Nat Geo and Rite-in-the-Rain), but don't use either, because of printer issues, and because each limits the selection of writing utensil.  And if the book is getting wet, it's getting moldy, so I don't need fancy paper for my caches anyway.  But it may be rather simple to use entirely Rite-in-the-Rain sheets or whatever, a straight-edge and an exacto knife, and make booklets to custom-fit a container.   

IIRC, this has been an issue with you for some time.  :D

I used my nephew's laser printer when we ate up most of a ream of paper (he got some).  Log "strips" for years.  

I use a sharpie, fischer space, or a pencil to write on RiR paper.  Sharpies work on most weather-resistant papers. 

We always put pencils in our caches.  Others put in pens, when someone said "no pen in cache"...  

2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I take that back (guess having an off day...).  It's all we've used for caches not ammo cans.  :)

Our ammo cans caches had book-sized unlined ledgers, or Crayola hard-cover books.  They have regular paper.

Now that no one writes more than their name and date, I replaced those nice books with RiR notepads too.

43 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

IIRC, this has been an issue with you for some time.  :D

I used my nephew's laser printer when we ate up most of a ream of paper (he got some).  Log "strips" for years.  

I use a sharpie, fischer space, or a pencil to write on RiR paper.  Sharpies work on most weather-resistant papers. 

We always put pencils in our caches.  Others put in pens, when someone said "no pen in cache"...  

When I want to make something durable for a cache, I start by printing it on a laser printer. But since I don't own one, I print on regular paper, rather than asking if I can also use my own special printer paper, a whole other complication.

My newer inkjet printer has surprisingly bad results printing on National Geographic Map "paper" (that's for inkjet, and RnR is for laser printing).  The previous printer was great.  The ink formulas have changed.  Pencils don't work well on Nat Geo, rollerball pens are bad on RnR.  So I eliminate lots of issues by using ordinary paper instead, plus it's less expensive  Not saying "waterproof" isn't cool!  :D

9 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I take that back (guess having an off day...).  It's all we've used for caches not ammo cans.  :)

Our ammo cans caches had book-sized unlined ledgers, or Crayola hard-cover books.  They have regular paper.

Now that no one writes more than their name and date, I replaced those nice books with RiR notepads too.

Yeah.  I often find some amazing journal at a great price, and I have no qualms about putting one in an ammo box cache.  Plus most any book will fit.  My most recent is a thick book of "hand-made" look pages, where I "rubber stamped" a graphic on the cover (actually that's a laser print reverse image that I pressed onto the cover using an acetone-soaked rag).  My personal challenge is designing a log sheet that is similarly classy for my smaller caches, especially since they must be swapped out much more often.

1 hour ago, kunarion said:

So I eliminate lots of issues by using ordinary paper instead, plus it's less expensive  Not saying "waterproof" isn't cool!  

Well, I elieminate print problems at my waterproof  "plastic folder" logbook, by not printing anything on it. :D

The first cache, I used that kind of lookbook, was GC Lost Flight Mh37X. After many Problems with vandalism, i make my first underwater-final wich fits also to the story verry good. But the waterresistant ALCON Box don't prevent the paper a long time. A second waterproof container inside the ALCON Box did not protect against wet logbooks either, because the best containers are useless, if many cachers touch the logbook with damp hands. But after I used the self made loogbook from the plastic cover of the folder, that problem was solved.

Greetings Johannis10

Edited by Johannis10
3 minutes ago, kunarion said:

That’s a plain piece of plastic.  This whole thread needs work if the OP will be surprised to learn that plastic exists. B)

Yep.  IIRC, a Reviewer had used an ammo can with holes punched in it (weight I guess), and a divers slate inside.

Fits the guidelines saying a log must be inside a container.  :)    I'd use a grease pencil to sign it.

But we'd only use something similar, or plastics for an underwater cache.

9 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Yep.  IIRC, a Reviewer had used an ammo can with holes punched in it (weight I guess), and a divers slate inside.

Fits the guidelines saying a log must be inside a container.  :)    I'd use a grease pencil to sign it.

But we'd only use something similar, or plastics for an underwater cache.

Do divers carry a divers slate and grease pencil as part of standard diving gear?  I don’t even know.  But if so, that’s cool, divers come prepared even if the supplied grease pencil is missing. :)

Because it’s tough enough to convince cachers to bring “a pen”, never mind a very specific “pen”.  Sure, I read that cachers simply use their own blood or various other bodily excretions. :yikes:

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 1
31 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Because it’s tough enough to convince cachers to bring “a pen”, never mind a very specific “pen”.  Sure, I read that cachers simply use their own blood or various other bodily excretions. :yikes:

:laughing:

We've used Crayola staonal marking crayons on a couple of unique "logs".   Some junk yards use 'em for car parts.

A red one "disappeared" when we loaned one to others, that didn't have anything that'd stay (on a flat aluminum plate) once. 

Edited by cerberus1
AM having an off day...