A Forum Bug That Makes Quotes Into Tags Only?

kunarion

After the recent updates, click the word "Quote" to reply to a Forum post, and it places that text into a gray box in the new reply.  But I'm seeing "quotes" that are just the tag and not the fancy box, such as "[Quote]Olfa exacto blade boxes".  This appears to be a bug that affects certain respondents.  I'm not able to cause the effect with any browser on any device I have, so I can't explain why it's happening.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Testing a "Quote" of the previous post:

3 minutes ago, kunarion said:

After the recent updates, click the word "Quote" to reply to a Forum post, and it places that text into a gray box in the new reply.  But I'm seeing "quotes" that are just the tag and not the fancy box, such as "[Quote]Olfa exacto blade boxes".  This appears to be a bug that affects certain respondents.  I'm not able to cause the effect with any browser on any device I have, so I can't explain why it's happening.

29 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Could this be user error, in editing out required code tags?

Your example (post #2) illustrates proper use of the feature.

It seems too consistent "[Quote]This is the quote" with multiple users, for that to be the case.  Plus it's so much simpler to just click the "Quote" button than type [Quote] tags around the text, it seems more like the bug creates that first tag only, and once Reply is clicked, the same poorly formatted "quote" appears.

I don't even see how to edit out the tags once the proper quote box is posted.  So... users that are great at editing code, edit out a tag and that breaks the quote box, and then they post the malformed result and don't fix it?  It makes a lot more sense that this is a server side bug.  But I'll ask around.

Maybe it's more like a cached browser memory or cookies thing?

Edited by kunarion

[Quote]This is a test of quote box tags.

Trying to create a "quote box" by using the BB Code text "[quote]" tags only:

[quote]This is a test of quote box tags.[quote]

[quote]This is a test of quote box tags.[/quote]

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
32 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Could this be user error, in editing out required code tags?

Your example (post #2) illustrates proper use of the feature.

For anyone who's seeing the tag "[Quote]" and the text:

Clicking that "Quote" button immediately creates a quote inside gray box.  If after clicking the Quote link you instead see plain code like "[Quote]This is the quote", it didn't work.

Edited by kunarion

I haven't had an issue with quoting another. It's when I create a quote I have this issue...   :)

Used to be that you simply did a [quote], with what you wanted to say, then ending it with a [/quote] to create one.

Now you have to hit the or "quote" in the bar above, before and after to do it.   

Not sure (no one said...) when this was changed, but I found this issue on March 2rd in OT

ETA :  Windows 10,  edge - just in case

Edited by cerberus1
29 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I haven't had an issue with quoting another. It's when I create a quote I have this issue...   :)

Used to be that you simply did a [quote], with what you wanted to say, then ending it with a [/quote] to create one.

Now you have to hit the or "quote" in the bar above to do it.   

Not sure (no one said...) when this was changed, but I found this issue on March 2rd in OT

ETA :  Windows 10,  edge - just in case

Thanks for clarifying what the issue is.  I guess we must use the handy edit bar instead, that seems OK.  Looks like the tags have changed... or maybe "tags" aren't enabled?  I tried a few in a reply above, maybe I just didn't do it right. :cute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 1