Attributes

jean1955

1 hour ago, jean1955 said:

I am trying to eliminate some caches by the attributes/filters page. When I check the ones I want to get rid of, ALL of the caches disappear. What am I doing wrong?

If you want to exclude attributes, you have to use a Pocket Query search, as the attribute filters in the Search and Map pages don't support exclusion (or negative attributes like Dogs Not Allowed, for that matter).

I'm probably just wildly making something out of nothing, but I'm curious....

In today's newsletter there's a big "Coming Soon" banner over an image of attributes. Could mean absolutely nothing, or a teaser of something in the works, and it has caught my interest.

Anyone know?

Coming Soon Geocaching Newsletter.png

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm probably just wildly making something out of nothing, but I'm curious....

In today's newsletter there's a big "Coming Soon" banner over an image of attributes. Could mean absolutely nothing, or a teaser of something in the works, and it has caught my interest.

Anyone know?

Coming Soon Geocaching Newsletter.png

I saw the same and wondered the same.  The attribute to the left of the horse is one that I have never seen before...?

Just now, brendan714 said:

I saw the same and wondered the same.  The attribute to the left of the horse is one that I have never seen before...?

Looks like just an updated icon for "camping nearby". Maybe they're redoing some attribute artwork and adding a few new attributes? That would be my guess. 

They're introducing a slew of new attributes:

• A set of four teeny tiny spanners. Means this cache is only maintained by the community, the CO is absolved of all responsibility.
  • A little radar sweep, slightly fuzzy in the middle. Means coords are a suggestion only, may be out by up to three counties.
  • The movie poster for "Honey! I shrunk the kids". Means cache size in description is randomly generated - you think it's a Regular? lol, it's another nano.
  • Greyed out ammo can. Means the CO didn't even bother putting out a container, it's a virtual traditional.
  • A handgun. Means the cache is a marker for local gang turf wars.

Edit: On re-read, my post may seem a bit rude or negative. To clarify - post made in jest covering misadventures people have had in various situations. Comedy is hard in writing.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 4
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Chalupa_Dad said:

Looks like just an updated icon for "camping nearby". Maybe they're redoing some attribute artwork and adding a few new attributes? That would be my guess. 

Hmm, I see the "takes less than an hour" clock-face attribute is showing 1 o'clock, which was how it used to be until it got changed a few years back to show 9 o'clock. One can perhaps hope that maybe someone has realised that 9 o'clock doesn't convey any sense of it taking less than an hour and is changing it back.

9 hours ago, brendan714 said:

I thought that it might be an "Augmented Reality" attribute -- it looks to me like an R inside of a larger A. 

Then again, if they are re-introducing those (and an attribute to go along with them) I'd hope that the graphic designers would be a little more creative. IMHO, something like this with an ammo can instead of a cube would be better. 

Edited by Hügh
18 minutes ago, Hügh said:

I thought that it might be an "Augmented Reality" attribute -- it looks to me like an R inside of a larger A. 

Then again, if they are re-introducing those (and an attribute to go along with them) I'd hope that the graphic designers would be a little more creative. IMHO, something like this with an ammo can instead of a cube would be better. 

Gosh I hope not, but that's a very good guess on the new attribute. I begged forever for them to let us know the feedback from the survey that was required on every single AR geocache. Silence. 

• Upvote 2

When they announced the four new attributes in August 2020 (power trail, checker, bonus and challenge) it was also said that a fifth souvenir would be added soon. Now the "soon" has become more than a year, but late is still better than never, isn't it?

11 hours ago, Chalupa_Dad said:

I don't think so, because the old icon is in the image, too

But apart from that I have no idea. Augmented Reality may be, but it seems a little far-fetched to me.

19 hours ago, Unit473L said:

They're introducing a slew of new attributes:

• A set of four teeny tiny spanners. Means this cache is only maintained by the community, the CO is absolved of all responsibility.
  • A little radar sweep, slightly fuzzy in the middle. Means coords are a suggestion only, may be out by up to three counties.
  • The movie poster for "Honey! I shrunk the kids". Means cache size in description is randomly generated - you think it's a Regular? lol, it's another nano.
  • Greyed out ammo can. Means the CO didn't even bother putting out a container, it's a virtual traditional.
  • A handgun. Means the cache is a marker for local gang turf wars.

Edit: On re-read, my post may seem a bit rude or negative. To clarify - post made in jest covering misadventures people have had in various situations. Comedy is hard in writing.

I LOL'd , really LOUD.

• Funny 1