Caches not showing in official app

yxza

I was going out for a caching trip today and had prepared myself by studying the map at geocaching.com. Arriving at the selected area the map in the official app looked very strange. Out of 15 caches that were supposed to be in the area about 6 of them were not showing. I looked them up using the browser and of course they were there on the map. When clicking on one of the "nonexisting" caches I then got the option to "Open in app". Doing so I was presented with a map of the correct area, BUT no cache visible! I then noted down the GC code of the missing caches and after searching in the officiell app I was able to navigate to them. After arriving home I looked on the map again in the app and although I have all of the caches in the Draft section the same missing ones are not shown at all as being in Draft. Just empty spots on the map.

Strange! Anyone experienced the same?

There's been a lot of discussion about this problem in recent months in both the Android and iPhone sections of the forums. I rarely use the app but on the odd occasions I have, I've also experienced it. Panning well away from where I am to force it to load more caches, then panning back again, forcing it to reload the caches around where I am, seems to fix it, but there's clearly a bug that's affecting both versions of the app.

• Helpful 1
8 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Can you share the approximated location or a GCcode of a nearby cache, so I can replicate (or not) your issue, please?

yup, try GC8ZJ8Z, shown on gc map but not in app or other caches around it

Edited by yxza

I also had a problem using the app today that I've never come across before. I'm not sure it's related. I was doing a maintenance run and tried to access a cache to write an OM but it would not come up on the screen. All my nearby caches were not showing either. I thought it may have been a poor phone signal but a quick check showed signal strength was good. I found that if I zoomed out all my other caches north of where I was came into view. That seemed odd. I zoomed right out until all caches north of me were gathered together into a 200 cache "circle" which seemed to be centred around my home coords. To my knowledge I've never set any filters to do that. What's going on?

54 minutes ago, colleda said:

I also had a problem using the app today that I've never come across before. I'm not sure it's related. I was doing a maintenance run and tried to access a cache to write an OM but it would not come up on the screen. All my nearby caches were not showing either. I thought it may have been a poor phone signal but a quick check showed signal strength was good. I found that if I zoomed out all my other caches north of where I was came into view. That seemed odd. I zoomed right out until all caches north of me were gathered together into a 200 cache "circle" which seemed to be centred around my home coords. To my knowledge I've never set any filters to do that. What's going on?

I'm home now and just fired up the phone and app to find everything is back to normal, all caches showing including the ones that weren't showing this morning. Hmm. However, when I zoom out the 200 cache "circle" is back in the same spot, no other caches statewide are showing.

6 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

It looks like the ones you can't see are caches that don't have any Solar System Wonders, so maybe check your Wonders filter settings.

OK, that fixed the problem. Never too late to learn something apparently. Thanks a lot.
A related question: I can't unmark all Wonders (if I do the OK button is inactive). How do I find a cache in the phone that have no Wonders at all? Won't it get filtered away?