How to look back at a completed cartridge?

Gill & Tony

I completed a cartridge today and it gave me a completion code, which I duly saved.

However, I can't find a way back into the cartridge to see the journal entries.  This was a multi-stage cartridge which gives coordinates for the next stage in the journal for the just completed stage.

Thanks

Tony

I guess it depends on which app you use.

I use the WhereYouGo player (for Android):

When you save a cartridge, two text files are created.

One of them has the extension .OWL and contains time stamps, coordinates, entries and messages.

The other one has the extension .OWS and contains raw LUA data.

I can remember the same happened on my old Oregon 450t when I played a cartridge. Only the extensions were different.

If you use another app, maybe the same will happen. Maybe with different extensions. Just check the directory for saved WIG's on your phone.

Thanks for letting me know about the two files.

i found them, but I expected there to be a way to "replay" the cartridge, similar to an AL, where you can reload the adventure and look at the journals.

Using the files doesn't appear to need the completion code.  I was expection to play the cartridge and get a "Enter comletion code" message.

I use WhereYouGo on Android.

Edited by Gill & Tony

I completed a WIG yesterday on my iPhone and got the unlock code. However when I put the code in to unlock it, it says incorrect code. 

is it something on the cartridge creator’s end? I was we with another cacher and I want to share the code so he can also log it as completed. 

thanks. 

1 hour ago, Ahern Clan said:

I completed a WIG yesterday on my iPhone and got the unlock code. However when I put the code in to unlock it, it says incorrect code. 

Try truncating the code to fifteen characters before entering it on the website. 

On 3/6/2021 at 10:35 PM, Gill & Tony said:

However, I can't find a way back into the cartridge to see the journal entries.

Cartridges are entirely programmed by the cache owners. If the cache owner neglected to implement any functionality to do this, then it is not possible to do so. 

As StefandD pointed out, the completion code is only used for marking the cartridge as "complete" on the Wherigo.com website. 

If you want to access the intermediate "journal entries," your best bet is to play the entire cartridge again, from scratch. 

Edited by Hügh
  • Helpful 1
On 3/8/2021 at 9:48 AM, StefandD said:

The completion code is only for logging the cartridge as 'completed' on Wherigo.com.

Thanks for all the info.  I'm not at all familiar with the nuts and bolts of Wherigo and I've learned quite a bit.

The OWL file is plain text and gave me everything I needed.  Reading it is effectively replaying the adventure.

I tried to go to Wherigo.com, but both Chrome and Firefox warned about invalid security certificates, so I backed out.  I don't actually need to go there now that I know about the OWL file.

Thanks again

Tony